Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Subtle Lustre

In case it hasn't been made apparent already, I'm quite the Pixiwoo fan. And if you've ever watched one of Nic or Sam's videos, chances are you've seen this product being used. It's the Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow All Over Radiance Crème in Rose Gold. It honestly seems that this cream highlighter was single-handedly catapulted into the consciousness of the beauty blogosphere by the makeup guru sisters, especially Sam. It's been used to beautiful effect in numerous videos (see this J.Lo Healthy Glow look, Sam's tutorial promoting her Real Techniques Core Collection set, this recreation of Sam's Rodial Awards makeup, or this Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen tutorial, also the look Sam wore to the IMATS).








I found it really difficult to capture the highlighter in pictures, possibly because the effect it gives isn't really obvious and the colour blends into my natural skin tone. When applied to the face, it gives a subtle, slightly golden lustre without any clearly distinct shimmer particles that some highlighters have. The texture is very smooth and non-sticky, but quite thin. I'm not sure where the "Rose" in Rose Gold comes from, because I didn't pick up any pink tones whatsoever. To my eyes, it's a pure warm gold colour.

I feel that this cream highlighter would ideally suit fairer complexions. It may just be a matter of personal preference, or the fact my skin is a touch too tan at the moment for the highlighting effect to be most effective, but it's almost too subtle for me. Not to say that an understated glow isn't desirable, but there's a fine line between understated, and barely detectable. It does show up on my skin, but I'm not entirely convinced it works for me as a highlighter. Maybe it's just a matter of needing to play around with it more in the coming weeks to figure out how to achieve the best effect. I do think it's a quality product and I'm pleased to have it in my hands. The packaging is well done and the mirror inside is really useful for touch ups on the go. I bought my All Over Radiance Crème for around $25 from BeautyBay.

5 comments:

  1. I too love the Pixiwoo sisters! Thanks for commenting on my blog because it led me to this wonderful gem of a blog :) The highlighter looks lovely, but it's a pity it doesn't show up too well. My go-to one is definitely MAC's cream colour base in hush. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, but in Iced Gold, is on my Christmas shopping list! I've read reviews where they say you've got to really work at it to get enough product though, which is a little disappointing. I think Rose Gold may be a little too orange-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely warmed up to this product since I wrote this review. I use it fairly regularly now :) I'm not sure whether Iced Gold would be better, but Rose Gold is a bit more orangey/bronzy compared to more champagne highlighters, like theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. Christmas can't come fast enough hey? ;)

      Delete
    2. Did you hear that this is being discontinued, along with the whole Jemma Kidd Make Up School line?! I panicked and almost ordered it from BeautyBay out of sheer alarm, but stopped myself because I just bought MAC Soft and Gentle MSF from a blog sale (I can't stop myself!). So sad, especially when I watched a ViviannaDoesMakeup video and she said it kicks Dior Amber Diamond in the ass. That's high praise indeed.

      Delete
    3. Nope, I haven't heard that at all :S Though Amber Diamond is still on my wishlist, just not as high. I definitely prefer liquid/cream highlighters to powder, so that's sad news! You were doing so well with your spending ban :p But I'm looking forward to your post on Soft and Gentle when it arrives anyway :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...