Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chock-a-Block

My makeup organisation is minimal to nonexistent. The bulk of stuff that I have is buried in different makeup bags in a single, large drawer which I use to store everything, including all my eyeshadows, lipsticks and nail polish. There used to be some semblance of order before my collection exploded sometime around the middle of last year. It’s pure chaos now, with layers of items stacked on top of each other and scattered randomly. It’s like rummaging through a bargain bin to find the specific eyeliner or mascara I want. I don’t know what I have because it’s all hidden beneath whatever’s at the top.


I usually place the newest or my most loved products outside of the drawer, either on the shelves above them or the edge of my nearby desk. I’m occasionally inspired when I see a photograph of a revamped vanity or an elegant but organised way that someone's found to store their makeup. What I really need is a thorough examination of what I have and some degree of ruthlessness in disposing of unnecessary items. Hopefully, a measured edit of my collection will remind me that I have more than enough, and inspire me to use my existing products with greater frequency and enthusiasm.




I found this lipstick storage stack at Target recently. I had my eye on a larger storage unit, but the bulkiness and thick plastic edges put me off. This stack is probably better suited for a normal person with a moderate collection of lipsticks, and not a beauty zealot with 8 variations of the same blue-based pink lipstick that would otherwise be indistinguishable to the rest of the population. Still, it made me consider what were my top 9 lipsticks that I could elevate to their special place in the individual slots. A small but encouraging first step to conquering my makeup disarray.

(And in case anyone's interested, the lipsticks I chose were Revlon Primose, Face of Australia Lychee Crush, Revlon Soft Nude, Face of Australia Iced Almond, Sportsgirl Fruit Tingle, Australis Honky Tonk, Barry M Peachy Pink, Revlon Petal and Sportsgirl Beauty Queen.)

20 comments:

  1. I just found your blog!! its soooo fabulous, I love it!!! keep it up and I can't wait to see what else you post about!....check out my blog as well :)...

    http://fashioneda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a better, chicer way of storing your lipsticks. Love how it looks overall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, any small step is a good start! Hope you slowly organize things to your needs! I've found sectioned plastic basket at IKEA for my new storage area. I'll prob do a post on that sometime! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my,I believe digging into your make up stack is like digging into treasure box! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea to store lipsticks! I don't have a zillion lipsticks and think this would be perfect. I put all mine in the drawer and they are always knocked down whenever I open/close the drawer.

    http://mui28.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i actually have the larger version of the lipstick organizer. it's really cute on the vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( i don't have much but i still have to re-organize most of my make up too -_-.

    i nominated you by the way :)
    http://mysweetmilktea.blogspot.com/2012/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. just discovered your blog and i love it! the lipstick storage thing looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl great blog now following. I am always trying to better ways to organize my make up.
    My Blog:
    BeautyMakeUpAddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mirin' all your make-up! I guess you could say that my make-up is organised, but it's stuck in white, plastic containers in drawers. Nothing pretty at all. Wish I could get some pretty drawers or clear plastic drawers like the Muji ones. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love that stand for your favourite lipsticks, looks so neat :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um...my room looks exactly like your first picture! :/

    I've been meaning to get organizational furniture.

    Maybe that'll be my 2013 resolution, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is so CLEAN and well organized, absolutely love it!

    -Imani Love

    ReplyDelete
  14. my makeup storage looks like your first picture lol I need to clean it out and organize my vanity!
    love the storage stack! it's a great way to display the set of lipsticks that you want to use or try for the week.
    p.s. isn't revlon's primrose the prettiest pink? love it!


    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I've seen similar lipstick organisers and I just look at them completely perplexed. How many would one have to buy to contain their entire lipstick collection?! I forget that having 50 lipsticks is not exactly the norm...*ahem*
    I find the best storage for lipsticks to be one of those plastic drawer organiser trays, I put the lipsticks in upside down so I can see the names are and just hope that I remember what the colours are.
    Clearly very scientific.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha I was really tempted to buy one of these lipstick organizers at the beginning when I first started makeup too but now I've completely gave up on that idea cause my lipstick collection have accumulated and I'm just keeping in a box...and even now I'm about to start looking for a bigger box LOL. For your stash of makeup, maybe you could try finding/buying one of those plastic trollies with multiple drawers in them, that way you can section your stuff :)

    btw, I'm in love with your blog! I'm like....going through your archives now hahaha <3 keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome post. You are inspiring me to clean up my lipstick storage! Mine is one hot mess right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I love your makeup collection! I agree with the following user above, i really live your blog, it's very clean and well organized :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i wish i had all the make up products you have, i have only a limited number of products and i am so jealous of people with many many fab products, and love that lipstick storage, i desperately want it, although not sure how i would fill it up.
    oh i need to go shopping

    ReplyDelete
  20. HAHAHA beauty zealot. I have two of those lipstick containers from Target and for whatever reason I decided to fill them up with chapsticks... It would take me forever to get ready if I had all of my makeup in one place. I'm that persona who used 5 different eyeshadows on each eye and three mascaras and like ten face powders for no reason.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...