Monday, May 7, 2012

Colour Coordinate

Before my Urban Decay Naked palettes, these Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner palettes were probably among the best eyeshadows that I owned. I have two: the bronzy/neutral Naturally Glamorous (020) and the purple and green Rich Temptations (030). The first four shades in Naturally Glamorous are quite soft and nicely pigmented, but the black shade is patchy and chalky. Rich Temptations overall isn't to the standard of Naturally Glamorous, with the first pink and purple particularly disappointing (they barely showed up when I tried to swatch them). The last three shades are much better, with the darkest liner colour being superior to the equivalent in Naturally Glamorous.




Naturally Glamorous consists of 5 shades (from left to right):
1. Warm, toasty medium brown with champagne shimmer
2. Coppery brown with pinkish red shimmer
3. Cool pale beige
4. Burnished medium/dark brown, somewhere in between the first and second shade
5. Charcoal grey


Rich Temptations (from left to right):
1. Cool, pale dusty pink
2. Warm-toned eggplant with slight pink shimmer
3. Frosty pale beige
4. Cool moss green
5. Blackened plum with reddish purple shimmer

Naturally Glamorous (first row), Rich Temptations (second row)

The Naturally Glamorous palette is a good choice for those drawn to warm, bronzy browns. The gradient of colours, from light to dark, is useful for creating an entire smokey eye look from one palette (as Zoƫ Foster demonstrates). I'd probably skip the darkest shade for liner and just go straight to whatever pencil, felt tip or gel liner you normally use, or at least a dark brown/black eyeshadow with better pigmentation. I bought the Rich Temptations palette primarily for the second purple shade, but I've found the warm, red tone makes me look like I have an eye infection. I used to go over it with a cooler, darker purple to counteract the redness, an extra step I shouldn't need to take which only leads to applying much more eyeshadow than I'd intended. I haven't had much use out of Rich Temptations, though the last three shades seem promising (despite the fact I rarely feel adventurous enough in the mornings to choose a green eyeshadow over my usual safe neutrals). Revisiting these palettes has made me think I should give Naturally Glamorous a bit more love. But with similar shades in my newer, better quality Naked palettes, it's hard to prefer these Revlon eyeshadows over them.

22 comments:

  1. I am not a huge fan of Revlon eyeshadows but these look really pretty and pigmented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of these colours are just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried Revlon eyeshadow but these look really lovely :)
    I bet they suit you beautifully :)

    Laura xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see these at work all the time but I have never tried them! I agree though, If I had a UD I would use that and only that forever haha

    www.teganiasthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard much about Revlon eyeshadows but you make them sound like a great alternative for those who don't want to fork out the cash for the Naked palettes. I have Naked 1 now but I've yet to use it - you're making it hard to resist cracking it open right now! Thanks for the comment on my blog, I was so flattered. It's good to see you're better at keeping up with blog posts than I :P I need the sleepandwater fix! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, what, what!? You have Naked 1 and haven't used it?! What is this madness :p I practically scramble to test all the colours as soon as I rip open the packaging. Did you get it off Beautybay? :) I guess the part about these Revlon being a decent alternative for those not wanting to fork out for UD only applies to the US/UK, since these CustomEyes palettes are $25.95 here or something ridiculous. I didn't blog for about a week and I felt so neglectful and lazy :p I don't know how experienced bloggers maintain the constant, regular posts, it's truly amazing. But of course blogging should take a backseat around crunch time at uni and other more pressing life matters. Don't disappear for too long though, I love your posts! :)

      Delete
  6. I have loads of these palettes. love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I'll be checking them out on my next Priceline visit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to pick these palettes up but hesitated because I already had so many Revlon palettes! These are such lovely colours though that I'm really tempted and the quality sounds like it's really good. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow both of them look nice! I really like the braided pattern ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still use these for eyeshadow. I'm not very good with makeup, so I didn't think I was ready to invest in Urban Decay yet. I suppose this makes for a pretty good practice palette...and it is really functional still.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. These palettes are really beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never owned any Revlon eyeshadow (apart from some HORRIBLE cream shadows that smudged and creased like crazy, lol) But, I remember almost buying one of these while at the store, but decided not to because I couldn't swatch them. The Natural palette looks GORGEOUS...and the last dark shade in Rich Temptations looks like a gorgeous liner colour!

    Courtney xo

    http:://www.strawberreeswing.blogspot.com


    Courtney xo

    http:://www.strawberreeswing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The packaging is really cute with the engraved prints! I've actually never tried any Revlon powder eyeshadows but these seem fairly pigmented and decent. I have 2 of the creme shadows that I used to use all the time for eyeshadow bases...which were okay, but didn't last long on my oily lids haha. I'm still really tempted to get the Naked2 palette, but...I my wallet hasn't quite justified it yet XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Naturally Glamorous colors!

    heatherhoneyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the packaging and the colors are amazing ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. The teal and dark plum in the Rich Temptations palette look lovely. I'm quite surprised Revlon shadows are so nice. I'm a bit of an eyeshadow snob so don't really venture into 'drugstore' shadow which in a way is reaffirmed with your finishing sentiment... And yes, it is really hard to enjoy lesser but still quite nice shadows after using amazing ones (like your Naked palettes). x

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous color palate...thanks for the post !:)

    Love,
    Bong's Belleza

    ReplyDelete
  18. those palettes are really pretty! love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those palettes are so lovely! I'm in love with your blog, as well! Your swatches and photos are so good!

    xx,
    Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous palettes, I love the cute design on them! x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely palette!!! Already following you on GFC, now start following on Bloglovin!!! xoxo

    www.rockandfrock.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...