Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lipstick Limit

These Maybelline ColorSensational lipsticks were a turning point in my lipstick habit. By that I mean after I bought them, I decided to myself that unless I found the perfect yellow-based pink lipstick for me, or came across a truly unique, special and (key word) flattering shade, I would not be buying any more lipstick in the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with these lipsticks, but after purchasing them I just felt an acute sense of excess. There may be such a thing as too much lipstick.





l-r: Rosy Dream, Juicy Bubblegum, Mango Diamonds, Coral Crush

I bought three shades from The Shine range (Rosy Dream, Juicy Bubblegum and Mango Diamonds) plus a lipstick from the main ColorSensational range (Coral Crush). "The Shine" lipsticks smell like juicy fruit candy and are sheerer and glossier than the normal ColorSensational lipsticks.

Rosy Dream (109) Sheer, milky, blue-based pink with fine silver glitter. Not the best colour for me as I'm not pale enough to pull it off. This one seems to bleed into the lines of the lips and isn't as moisturising as the other two shades I bought from "The Shine" range. Because it's sheer, I sometimes layer this underneath other pink lipsticks to neutralise and lighten some of the natural pigmentation of my lips.

Juicy Bubblegum (140) Medium pink with violet tones. Typical that I'd be drawn to this shade when I have about 5 other lipsticks that are more or less identical (it's true, I swatched them). This insanity must stop.

Mango Diamonds (445) Vibrant orange-leaning coral. Has more of a red tone and is shinier than Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Frutti, a shade that I thought it would be very close to. There's also fine diamond-like glitter that doesn't really show when applied to the lips (I only noticed after wiping the lipstick off my hand and inspecting under fluorescent lights).

Coral Crush (515) Bright (bordering on neon) coral red. Somewhat like a pinkish tomato red. One of those fun, summery lipsticks that can instantly brighten up the face. Much more pigmented and a tad more drying than the other three lipsticks, leaves a red stain when taken off.

I bought these when Priceline was having a buy one, get one free offer on all Maybelline lip products (making them $8.50 each). At first I was intending to buy only Juicy Bubblegum and Mango Diamonds, but the store I visited only had Juicy Bubblegum, so I ended up buying Coral Crush with it instead. On my second trip, I bought Mango Diamonds and kind of settled on Rosy Dream because no other colour particularly appealed to me. Basically, I ended up buying twice as much lipstick as I had initially intended, defeating the purpose of saving money in buying at half price. These are perfectly adequate lipsticks but by virtue of having too many similar shades, I find that I can't really enjoy them. They offer nothing new or markedly better than what I already have, so I regard them to be quite superfluous. At least I'm now encouraged to be much more discerning and selective when it comes to future lipstick purchases and not buy just for the sake of taking advantage of an attractive sale.

34 comments:

  1. oh I like the look of coral crush- looks really pretty for summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all gorgeous lipstick colours!
    I get what you mean about having a mad moment and then realizing you've got too much and not getting any more. I think we've all been there!

    Laura xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. a really nice post! I think it's always the same problem for us, beauty junkie.
    we keep buying things we don't really need. I also have unhealthy addiction to mauve-nude lipstick. I have so many similar shades already at home, but always find reason to buy a new one. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see what you mean by "too many," I've done the same, swatched a certain eye shadow and think... God, I have about twenty more that are exactly the same.

    But the way you show those beautiful lippies make them SO tempting! I particularly love Coral Crush, it's gorgeous, even though it does look a little neon.
    For me, I find if I sort of wipe off most of the colour with a tissue, it leaves behind a really gorgeous colour that isn't as strong and more "natural" which I find is also a way to mix up the way I wear my lipsticks. Otherwise, still love the lippes haha

    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. coral crush looks like mac's impassioned..
    hmm.. im a cool-toned anglo-asian so i dk, but my sister is warm toned and she tried out mac's viva glam nicki and it looked so good on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, it is so difficult to limit youself when products are on sale! Gorgeous lipsticks!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mango diamond. Gorgeous colors. Nope, there is no such thing as having too many lipsticks. Just when I thought I'm done (like you), came to your blog and decide I NEED this mango diamond color in my collection. Don't let this train stop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mango Diamonts looks pretty! I'll have to check if it is sold in my country. :)

    http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the look of Mango diamond....I feel your pain about the lipstick hoarding. I have to force myself to leave a store empty handed when I see a good sale going on. Half the time I never use the sale items I buy simply because they are impulse purchases and not something I actually really want, or need! xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of Mango Diamonds! I know how you feel, I've bought way too many lip products lately and it's starting to get ridiculous!

    Check out my MAC Giveaway!
    http://beautybyemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coral Crush looks beautiful! I have only recently discovered my latent love for lipsticks and do not have too many yet, but my rule of thumb is to try and refrain from buying multiple lipsticks of the same shade and finish, i.e. a red matte and a red creme are okay, but multiple red mattes are a no-no. =P

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my god I really love this! the photos are amazing and certainly are the lipsticks as well! I already have bright reds and fuchsias, but i'm obsessed with the rosy dream! i'd came across similar bubbly pink before but I didn't buy it. Now I couldn't get it off my mind grrrr.
    would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like them all, so pretty!
    I don't own any of these, Coral Crush is probably a shade I would use a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely lipstick!!! I like the shade of juicy bubblegum, but it seems like a generic shade, i think... nice post, dear! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean, sometimes I think I just have far too much of certain things! The shades of these four are stunning though xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mango diamonds is so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  18. The mango one looks gorgeous - but I totally agree on putting a limit on things - I need to do that with everything right now....lipstick, nail polish, mascara, clothes.... :O

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm exactly the same trying to find a nice 'nude' shade, don't think I'll ever get there. May just use lip balm when I'm having a 'nudey' day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the packaging of the lipsticks they look so cool :3 i love the colours too

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love them all, great purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ok, I need to print this post and stick it on my wall. I need your new found self control :)

    www.teganiasthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohh love Juicy Bubblegum and Mango Diamonds.. but I know the feeling of buying too many of a particular product!! At least their pretty :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coral Crush is such a pretty shade! I agree that sometimes I think there is such a thing as too much lipstick too. I rarely use them, but I find myself buying them all the time >.<

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use these lipsticks too. The colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are pretty colors, but if you already have similar ones, I totally understand how they would be less enjoyable.

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  27. The last 2 colours look lovely!

    www.rebekasbeautyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I completely understand what you mean, I need to stop myself too!
    Anyways, those are really pretty colours, especially that coral one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's terrifying when you go through your stash and it hits you just how many identical products you have. I recently went through my polishes and found it difficult to pick my top five shimmery reds.

    But I still believe one can never have too many lipsticks. (;

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love that mango diamond... that would be perfect for the wedding I have coming up.... I hope they get that color here in canada by then

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the mango diamond. xx

    Welcome to visit my blog.:))


    http://msofisticada.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was like "oooh I love those colors" and then when I started thinking about it I realized that I do have Mango Diamonds.. I just have it in the old packaging :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wanted to get Mango Diamonds the other day when Big W were having a BOGOF but didn't end up picking it up. Looking forward to how these look on your lips =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...