Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Box of Crayons

Sure enough, a week after saying I couldn't find them anywhere, I spotted a whole heap of the Face of Australia Sheer Gloss Lip Crayons at a Priceline in the city. They come in a pack of 3 and retail for $14.95, though I bought these at 20% off. And yes, they're very similar to Clinique Chubby Sticks, just a touch more pigmented and not as attractively packaged. The colours are also pretty much dead on dupes of certain Revlon Lip Butters, as I discovered when I swatched them side by side.



Top to bottom: Cupcake, Sundae, Macaron

As you can see from the swatch, the colours are quite sheer. It takes several swipes to get any noticeable pigment. Though they apply smoothly like a balm, I don't find them particularly moisturising and the texture feels somewhat waxy and drying. I thought Sundae would be the least flattering because it looks like a more "mature"/brown shade, but it's surprisingly my favourite and the most wearable, a true MLBB colour. The sheerness here actually works as an advantage, as any more pigmented and it wouldn't look as understated and natural. Cupcake is a typical bright pink that still appears fairly muted when worn, quite similar to Clinique Chubby Stick in Woppin' Watermelon, but with slightly more red and raspberry tones. Macaron, more of a cherry red, is the most pigmented of the three by far, but because it's both pigmented and sheer, I found it really hard to apply evenly (as you can see in the picture below). Dry lips probably didn't help.



The left column is the lip crayons (Sundae, Cupcake and Macaron, from top to bottom) and the right column are the Revlon Lip Butters in Pink Truffle, Strawberry Shortcake and Cherry Tart. I was pretty astounded by the similarity. If you have a large lipstick collection, it's normal to find close approximations to products you already own, but these more or less look like total dupes to me. Three out of three. Granted, I still think the Lip Butters are superior (more moisturising, pigmented and better packaged), but the Face of Australia lip crayons are an excellent option if you're interested in a sheerer version presented in a novel form. Ultimately, they're an ideal means of satiating any curiosity you might have about the Clinique Chubby Sticks, without the price (given that you get all 3 for less than half the price of a single Chubby Stick).

33 comments:

  1. I actually really love these, I found them fairly moisturising! But hey, everyone's lips are different! Amazing how similar they are to the Revlon Lip Butters (which are a lot more moisturising... definitely!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome, I'm drawn to the packaging of these way more than Lip Butters!!!
    It's so annoying how make-up isn't the same worldwide!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay you found them! I really liked the novelty of these when I bought them, but I don't use them much. I agree- I find them a little waxy. I prefer Korres. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'm still abstaining from them (although you're making it hard to!) because I have too many lip products as is (and more Revlon balm stains and a lip butter on the way... Oops). You're right, Sundae is gorgeous on the lips :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colors! How are they compared to the Revlon kissable lip stain? Over here in Canada(at least where I live), they are not available yet and I'm desperate to get my hands on those so got a few on ebay :) But after reading your review, I think I would prefer something more sheer. Unlike others, I don't like pigmented lipstain and sheer probably suits me more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really great for the price! I've found that I'm constantly reaching for Macaron, which is weird because I thought it would be the one I would be least interested in seeing as I have so many other lip products in a similar colour. I haven't yet tried the Clinique Chubby Sticks though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so natural on your lips

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are amazing! Like giant crayons :)
    Love the colours they look really natural but have a lovely shimmer :)

    Claudia X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually prefer the sweet packaging of this better than clinique chubby sticks. I'm not really a fan of sheer lip color, but these 3 look pretty on your lips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. somehow i love a sheer lip colour - so i can build the colour up. and it has less chance to go wrong when I apply it!

    Following u now via Goggle +. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty! They're perfect because they're sheer and they aren't as intense as lipstick. I'll have to hunt down some lip crayons. I know Tarte has some, and the Revlon ones too. So pretty! They look great on you : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are so pretty!! and it came it a great price! I need to get some of these !!

    http://mindy13579.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cupcake looks really cute sweetie~~

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the detailed post! I love Sundae and Cupcake on you. The colors are very pretty, but definitely look little dry. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look pretty, but I prefer something more pigmented. I do love the names of the colours :D

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, they really do look VERY similar to the Revlon Lip Butters!

    -Lisa
    The Lovely Memoir

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was holding these in my hand and was going to buy them, but I was hoping that they would be more like Revlon just bitten kissable balm stains, where they are a gloss and a stain... but when I realised they were only a gloss I put them back down. I have too many glosses, and thought I would just wait for the Revlon just bitten stains that I ordered from ebay to arrive.

    If I ever find myself wanting any of those lip butters you mentioned (I have three, but none of those colours), I might get these instead, they are so much cheaper and they look like great dupes!

    http://kitschsnitch.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're right, Sundae looks fabulous on you! The packaging on these actually looks like kids' toys and crayons. So cute. :) But wow, they're really dead ringers of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look great and they ave such cute names!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow the similarity is uncanny! Chubby stick and lip butter both in one, that's cool :P

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Cupcake and the Macaron are my favorites! Cute "crayons"!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. They have really cute names! I don't know if I'd love the sheer-ness of them all but I like the fact they're super affordable!

    Evani
    simplyevani@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh gosh gotta love the yummy-sounding names haha...however the fact that they're both pigmented and sheer really is a huge bummer. I can see how they accentuated flakes on your lips in some parts, but at least they were cheap right? I have dry lips too so now I know to look for something a bit more moisturising. thanks for reviewing as always, will keep an eye out for the lip butters! :)

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great colours!

    http://riley-ellise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. these look so lovely! i love the nude colour.. looks great on your lips.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ooo great review! i'm ashamed that i actually never heard of this product but i have heard of this brand! lol i'd say my fav is sundae, it makes your lips so soft and natural looking! they indeed look really similar to revlon lip butters !

    alex @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look awesome! And definitely a great alternative to the more expensive Clinique Chubby Sticks. I love mine and use it all the time.. wish I could find these cheaper ones here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love those lip crayons especially the macaron one!

    natzcracker

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would be a really happy girl if I could own all stick lipstick on the market. I've become obsessed with them!

    Sandra from The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great colours
    the macaron is my favorite one :))
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...