Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tattoo It

The Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour eyeshadows have finally arrived in Australia with a somewhat surprising price tag. At $11.95 a pop, they're not exactly cheap, but much better than what I was anticipating ($16.95 or thereabouts). Priceline is currently having an introductory offer of 15% off, making them $10.15. I did the obvious thing and bought about three too many, mainly sticking with neutrals. I knew Bad to the Bronze was a must have. Tough as Taupe also seemed to be one of the more raved about shades, but I had reservations about whether it would suit my colouring. I also picked up Bold Gold, Too Cool and Pomegranate Punk. I contemplated buying Audacious Asphalt, but I'm not overly keen on slightly greenish, dark grey metallic eyeshadow (and Unmentionables from the Too Faced Naked Eye palette seemed very similar). The more colourful shades are fun for party or summer makeup, but I simply wouldn't get enough wear out of them. Overall, I think there's pleasing variety in the shade selection, but I do wish there was a beige/nude matte in there (in the vein of MAC Painterly Paint Pot) and perhaps an eggplant, dark purple shimmery colour (à la Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Illusoire).


Pomegranate Punk is mislabelled as Audacious Asphalt for some reason



l-r: Too Cool, Tough as Taupe, Pomegranate Punk, Bold Gold, Bad to the Bronze

Too Cool (05) I thought to primarily use this colour as an eyeshadow base, or occasionally inner corner highlight. It's a cool, frosty white that is buildable in intensity. I wouldn't recommend using this as a highlight for the rest of the face unless you don't mind looking sparkly. As an eyeshadow base, I find that it does transform the eyeshadow you put on top of it (making it whiter/lighter), so I'm not sure if this is the right product if you just want your eyeshadow to last longer, but not necessarily change in colour.

Tough as Taupe (35) I wanted to love this, but the colour is not flattering on me at all. It might work if it were more brown and lighter. It applies too much like a muddy slate grey which I find jarring against my yellow-toned skin. I also generally find that matte colours tend to appear flat and dull on me, which is why I prefer satin or shimmery eyeshadows. I'd probably use this as a base for smokey monochromatic makeup. 

Pomegranate Punk (30) I wasn't sure whether this colour would work for me as it's red-toned, which just screams eye infection. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Personally, it's too dark for daytime wear, but the colour works well for my skintone. It's more of a bronzy, plummy shade (with gold shimmer that isn't too noticeable when applied) that really adds depth to the eyes.

Bold Gold (45) This is a very yellow-toned, somewhat dirty gold that applies more on the sheer side. On its own, it doesn't quite work for my colouring, but it would be ideal to use as a base for gold eyeshadows. I'd imagine it'd be very much the same story as Too Cool though, meaning that Bold Gold would, subtly or significantly, change the colour of any eyeshadow (that wasn't exactly the same shade) placed over it.

Bad to the Bronze (25) My favourite, but I have one major gripe. This is very frosty, to the point  that the silver shimmer sits on top of the shadow and threatens to overtake the colour altogether. The abundance of shimmer also looks a bit scaly on my lids. Having said that, this is clearly the most wearable shade and perfect for a daytime neutral eye. Slick it on with your finger, pop on a bit of eyeliner and mascara, and go.


l-r: Pomegranate Punk, Bad to the Bronze (with flick of eyeliner and mascara on top lashes)

l-r: Bad to the Bronze, Sidecar, Bold Gold, Half Baked, Smog, Pas des Copper

Some shades from the Urban Decay Naked palette to compare, as well as Essence Pas des Copper on the right end. Sidecar is very similar to Bad to the Bronze but a touch lighter (if anything, Sidecar looks practically identical to Pas des Copper, which I didn't anticipate). I thought Bold Gold might be similar to Half Baked and/or Smog, but the two aren't dupes at all. Half Baked is lighter, more golden, Bold Gold is a dirtier yellow, with even a slightly green tinge. I'd been using and raving on about Pas des Copper for a while now, but I'm not sure whether it's all that different to Bad to the Bronze to justify having both. The Maybelline is more taupe, frostier, a touch darker. The Essence is a bit more golden, slightly warmer. The main difference is staying power. The Color Tattoo eyeshadows have excellent wear time and are genuinely difficult to completely remove. Oddly, going a bit overboard with these cream eyeshadows has made me appreciate my existing powder eyeshadows. They're easier to work with and blend, not as messy, you don't need to worry about it setting, and I have a lot more colours to choose from. If you want to sample one shade from this range, I suggest Bad to the Bronze. If you want to play around with cream eyeshadows for a fraction of a MAC Paint Pot, these Color Tattoo ones are a good option.

61 comments:

  1. Wow beautiful colors!!!!
    Want us to follow by Bloglovin? let know...
    Have a nice day!

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bad to the bronze and bold gold too! Ahhh theyre so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the swatches! I'm not really an eyeshadow person and already have wayyy too many for me to justify purchasing more, but I'm really tempted to buy Pomegranate Punk. I just think it's so pretty. Bad to the Bronze is definitely a 'me' shade but I thought Pas des Copper (my love) was already too similar to have both - thanks for answering my suspicions!

    I think I'll skip all of the Colour Tattoos besides perhaps Pomegranate Punk. I swatched Tough as Taupe in store, and you're so right, it hardly budges. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Urban Decay comparison.
    It's weird you get the America names and we get different ones haha, also I've never seen Pomegranate Punk :(
    I love how you said you came away with three too many haha, made me laugh!
    They look lovely on you :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review again! I only got Tough As Taupe (a few months ago) and it looks alright on its own on my skin tone but yeah I think it would look better as a base (which I haven't tried yet). I agree that the other colours in the range look great but it would be hard to get a lot of wear out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my priceline had like 5 colours and i was like ...is that it. didnt have the ones like pomegranate punk and too cool, it had the blueish one and the grey one.
    but i do love the look of pomegranate. as for the gold and bronze, i held back since i already have so many eyeshadows that i buy for the sake of the prettiness of it and never use...they're still pretty though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad they finally got to Australia - and looks like you got a wider shade range than the UK as well! Pomegranate Punk looks amazing!
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the swatches. I really want to get the Pomegranate Punk now! I've noticed that in the US and Australia they have different names than the ones in the UK. And not as many neutral shades. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review!! You guys get better color selection there! Here in germany, the color selection isn't the best. That's why I only have 1 shade which is the taupe one. I agree with you that it does look like a slate grey once applied, I always top it with a light taupe eye shadow from my Sleek Au Naturel palette to make it less 'grey'.
    I personally prefer L'Oreal Infaillible than color tattoo for some reason. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wanted Pomegranate Punk but it wasn't available at my local Priceline! It looks lovely on you! I may have to venture out and get it at another Priceline! Also, I love reading your reviews. It's nice to know that there's a great beauty blogger from the same city as me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could also try Chemist Warehouse. I found they actually had a better shade range than Priceline (and cheaper!).

      Delete
  11. Oh, thanks for this! I really can't wait to have a play with these :D PS. your photos are always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the swatches. I think here in the UK, we have slightly less shades available. I really like the 'too cool' shade because it would be really good for the inner corners of the eyes and for highlighting the browbone~ It is such a pretty colour. Thanks for sharing and the 'bad to bronze' colour looks amazing on you :)

    www.beautypicknmix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited about these! I've so far only managed to grab Bad to the Bronze, but I'm hunting for Pomegranate Punk. The Color Tattoo display is just too small :( I would also really appreciate an eggplant shade, something dark and rich without being black.

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg great review!
    I can definitely see myself buying the bad to the bronze! the white would literally last you forever if you only use it to highlight inner eye, but it would be good at the same time as i always find the shadow i apply on my inner corners tend to disappear throughout the day.....
    pomegranate punk does look nice :) although i do agree that anything red toned reminds me of infection or rash, and i personally see purple eye shadow on myself to be bruises lol.. or i just suck at eyeshadow :P
    omg i wrote an essay here
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful shades
    I really want to try them out but I don't think that they are available here

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ardently love your reviews! I also heard that they had made their appearance in Australia recently but I haven't had the opportunity to go search for them. Now that I know they are available in Priceline I'm going to have to pop by sometime tomorrow and grab myself a couple since I've laid off buying makeup for a while now. Yay, I can't wait!! Thankyou so much dear. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have had Tough as Taupe for quite a while but never really fell in love with it, but just bought Bad to the Bronze and am hoping to love it like so many others do! I was considering buying Pomegranate Punk and now that I've seen it on you- SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  18. cool pictures :] i really like how the pomegranate punk and bad to the bronze look on your eyes xD it looks really wearable and..i love wearable colors! hahah. it's nice to hear the color tattoo eyeshadows have staying power! i have the urban decay naked palette as well (but the 1st one). right now, i currently do my eyemakeup first and then wipe off any excess minor remaining eyeshow that might've fallen under my eyes and then apply my face makeup lol >< i like how the tones for the maybelline seem more taupe, darker~perfect for night woot!

    -Joyce
    carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bold Gold is soo soo pretty! Although they are v expensive in Australia :S

    Im having a giveaway on my blog incase youre interested :)

    http://nayabloves.blogspot.com/2012/07/nayab-loves-1st-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!! You finally got them :) Have you tried using a brush similar to a mac 217 to apply bad to the bronze. A brush like the 217can help combat some of that silver shimmer :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did I know you'd end up coming away with a few too many of these! ;) I picked up Bad To The Bronze and Edgy Emerald. Although I think BTTB looks much better on you than myself. As a stand alone colour at least. I like it as a base though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I heard before they would stay on all day, and that is a very important thing for me. Even with eyeshadow primers, my makeup seems to disappear during the day. They never have any at the store here, but i will find me some and i am sure i will love them. I think i would have gotten the same colors as you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh these look amazing! I would definitely get Bold Gold and Bad to the Bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  24. like the gold one most! like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you really love neutral shades. Me too<3 the swatches are soo irresistible!! :)

    like my new Facebook page to be notified on updates, love :)
    facebook.com/MaribsBlog

    ReplyDelete
  26. those two shades you're wearing are gorgeous! i usually steer away from red toned anything, but the pomegranate punk is something else!
    i only have one color from this range which is called audacious asphalt. (very shimmery dark grey)
    i find matte cream shadows are relatively harder to work with.
    thanks for the review and swatches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love these! I have a few but not pomegranate punk. That color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad they made it to Australia! I have 4 of the shades. Bad to the bronze and too cool are my favorites. The Pomegranate punk looks pretty cool on you. Made me want to grab it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. how did you find the wear time on them? are they much better than powder shadows?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay! I'm glad you got a hold of these, the prices are comparable to here in the US. So that's really good :] All I have right now is Tough as Taupe... need to pick up more, they are always so picked over though. I hope you have a great week!

    <3 Rubiiee

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got pomegranate punk and taupe... I'm really liking them and using them nearly every day... the staying power is amazing, they don't crease at all on me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like all 5 but my fave is Bad to the Bronze. Pomegranate Punk and Bad to the Bronze look great on you :) x

    bluebutterfly80.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the look of these and keep meaning to pick some up, but always forget! They look amazing on you, gorgeous swatches too :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wish they had these colours in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Color Tattoos are great, like you said, a fraction of the price of MAC Paint Pots! I actually think Tough as Taupe looks nice on your skin color, much better on you than on me! Pomegranate Punk is also very pretty. Bad to the Bronze is my favorite. =) I hope they will add more colors to the line!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can't believe how you guys have such inflated prices of drugstore makeup - when I bought my Colour Tattoo it was only ~$4.99 and regular price is only ~$8-10 CDN. :O I have pomegranate punk and it looks great, I'm planning to go back and get Bad to the Bronze and Bold Gold. I agree with you about Tough as Taupe, when I swatched it in store I didn't think it would look great on my skin tone so I didn't buy it. :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post! I like your eyes very much

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous photos! I'm going to go to Priceline and heading straight for Bad to the Bronze- I really hope they still have some left! Pomegranate Punk looks amazing too- I'll swatch it and see if I'm amazed. x

    ReplyDelete
  39. lovely :") seeing the colours on your eyes makes me happy (m i sick?)
    hehe
    jacq

    ReplyDelete
  40. I do like cream shadows but agree that they are hard to remove. Overall, I prefer powder as well. But the colors are pretty. I may just try these.

    Beauty, Fashion and Seattle | Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  41. I hope NZ gets them! I don't hold out much hope... I love the look of Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze. I was looking and your swatches and thinking 'that looks like Sidecar'. Hahaha you're one step ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. We've had these for a little while in the UK now, I currently own two and I really like them :) x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Bad to the Bronze and Pomegranate Punk looks amazingly great on you hun. When I first saw these at Priceline, I was also surprised at the price tag - hopefully U.S drugstore makeup become more inexpensive here. If I were to choose, I would get Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze. I like the way Too Cool looks, but I can't seem to pull of frosty white eyeshadows. Using it as a base sounds great for lightening shades.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I LOVE the formula of these eyeshadows, the work really well and last forever on me! I have the Bronze one and the purple one. I wish they would come out with some better neutral shades. I am appauled that they dont have a nice champagne colour lol. I'm crossing my fingers that they will come to their senses and come out with some more wearable shads.

    Courtney from Strawberree Swing

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am still waiting for these to arrive on my shores!!!!! Pomegranate Punk looks really pretty in my opinion. I wonder how these color tattoos will perform on oily lids.

    Canmake is quite a popular Japanese drugstore brand and I have heard a lot of good things about their blushes too. Hopefully i get to try some of those in the future and hopefully review it on the blog.

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. I need to get on the cream eyeshadow train more often, I'm just partial to MAC's palettes! They are really pretty neutrals though!

    Evani

    ReplyDelete
  47. oh my, I love pomegranate punk! I have a weakness for brownish bronzy deep plum colors, and that one looks amazing on you! I will have to keep an eye out for this. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oo nice!! I have been eyeing these for a long time now, it's been released here in the uk couple months ago but not all shades and most of them I want ain't here :( *sucks*

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I've wanted to try these out mainly as an eyeshadow base, but haven't had a chance to look at them yet. Bold Gold & Bad to the Bronze looks like really pretty colors. Too bad that Bold Gold didn't work out with your coloring, but I'm sure you can make it work more than just an eyeshadow base! :)

    x-Fatalove

    ReplyDelete
  51. these look fab! xxx

    http://www.unnakednails.com/

    ReplyDelete
  52. Bad to Bronze looks great on you! Very subtle. Quite close to it being quite smokey, I like it alot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my, these look fabulous on you! Especially Bad to the Bronze. I need to get my hands on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  54. They are so pretty! Your swatches make me want to buy them even more!

    Sandra from The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  55. Have heard sooo much hype about these.. good to hear a nice honest opinion :) Beautiful pictures as always my dear :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...