Saturday, September 1, 2012

August Favourites

I kept it simple this month, concentrating more on skin care (or what little I know of it) than makeup. While I change up my nail polish sometimes 3-4 times a week, I rarely deviate from my regular face, except in what items I use to achieve more or less the same look (e.g. if I'm going for a cream over a powder eyeshadow, or a pencil over a felt tip eyeliner). A few of these products have been items that I've been consistently using and can always rely on, but that I haven't bothered to specifically feature before in a "Favourites" post.


Apivita Express Beauty Mask With Carrot
I received two sachets from the Priceline skin care bag, and I've used up one in two separate uses (I just sticky-taped the edges to seal the packet after the first use). When I first put this over my face, it stung slightly around the nose and upper lip area. But after a while, the mild stinging subsided and I was left with a calming, slightly minty, soothing feeling. After 15 minutes, the mask had absorbed into the skin considerably, and washed off in warm water relatively easily. My skin felt smooth and supple, properly cleansed. I loved that there was a minty feeling for a while after I'd washed the mask off and lightly moisturised. It gave a slight glow to the complexion and made my skin look smoother, clearer and brighter.

Nivea Soft
I've featured this moisturiser before in the only skin care post I've done on this blog, but this past month has made me realise just how much I appreciate this humble and unassuming product, especially after I'd acquired the elusive and much hyped Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè. I may be missing something, because I find Nivea Soft just as good, if not better. For one, this is like a good drink of water for parched skin. Being winter right now, I've had quite dry skin and it was only after switching to Nivea Soft and using it generously at night that I found the condition of my skin start to improve. It's the best moisturiser for working into small areas of my face that have flaked after applying foundation. It smooths the dry patch over and makes it melt away. I don't know what's not to love. It's cheap, readily available, multifunctional, and actually works. If it had SPF, I'd use it in the day as well.

St Ives Apricot Scrub
I don't know why I didn't buy this earlier, as I had run out of an exfoliator ages ago, but just couldn't be bothered to buy another one. Thank goodness I finally managed to pick this up, because it's been a godsend for my skin. I'm convinced that exfoliating with this every 2-3 days and using Nivea Soft liberally has restored my skin from its dry and blemished state, and made it such that I can actually wear Make Up For Ever HD foundation without it looking like a patchy, flaky disaster.



l-r: Shimmering Slate, Bourjois Liner Feutre, Jemma Kidd, bronze in Sleek Storm, Bad to the Bronze

Savvy by DB Luxury Liner in Shimmering Slate
This brand recently underwent a refresh of their product line, and while I've yet to try any of their newly released items, I'm a big fan of their original Luxury Liners (I have all 6 colours). Shimmering Slate is my go-to eyeliner on the weekend when I don't want to use up my liquid eyeliners that I reserve for the weekdays. I line my upper lashline with this, or dot the lower lashline and then blend with my Ecotools smudge brush (from their 6 piece eye set). It's super creamy, impressively pigmented and doesn't budge.

Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour eyeshadow in Bad to the Bronze
previously complained that though Bad to the Bronze was the clear standout from the five Maybelline Color Tattoo cream shadows I'd bought, it was still a touch too frosty for my taste. I take it all back. I've been wearing Bad to the Bronze, darkened up slightly with the bronze in my Sleek Storm palette, every day for the past two weeks. Quick, easy and failproof. The trick is to use a flat and stiff eyeshadow brush to apply it. Too much product, and it can be too shimmery. But a thin layer gives a beautiful taupey bronze sheen that lasts in intensity all day. I've been using the concealer brush from the Ecotools Bamboo 5 piece set and it works like a charm.

Bourjois Liner Feutre in Noir
I love this. It's the closest to an eyeliner HG that I'll probably ever have. I've briefly mentioned it before, but time has only intensified my appreciation of it. I ran out after using it for a few months and had to resort to my Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen which was passable, but definitely inferior. Thankfully, I managed to utilise this Bourjois voucher to replenish my supply for $14 ($10 off its usual price). I find the stiff felt tip a lot easier to control and more precise than pencils, which are always blunt when you need to use them and forever need sharpening, or gel eyeliners, which are fiddly and require an angled eyeliner brush to apply. I also prefer them to liquid eyeliners that have a thin brush, as I find it a lot harder to paint my line when the brush is floppy and soft.

Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow All Over Radiance Crème in Rose Gold
It's taken me a while to warm to this, but I'm fully converted now. Earlier in the year, I went through a highlighter phase, and the All Over Radiance Crème was firmly at the top of my wishlist. When I first tried it, I wasn't particularly enthused. I was expecting major, J-Lo type of glow to my cheekbones, but I found that it was a lot subtler than I expected. I've come to realise that there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. This month, I've been reaching for this the most out of my entire highlighter collection. It's just a lovely quality product. The texture is so smooth, it's not oily or thick and it looks beautiful over a flawless base.

55 comments:

  1. I've been lusting over that Jemma Kidd Highlighter! It looks so lovely and creamy.


    xx,
    Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm running out of my current exfoliator- might give the St Ives a go when I get around to making a trip to Priceline! And I'm glad you're happier with the Jemma Kidd Rose Gold- that's ranking pretty highly on my wishlist. :) Hehe Bad to the Bronze lurveee! PS: I think the Bourjois offer expired on the 31st August. I printed it off and everything, but didn't go to Priceline before commencing my makeup diet. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did. Sadly! I wish I made more use of it, especially in buying nail polish! They would've only been $3-$4 each. I was contemplating buying the bronzer as well, but rationalised that it's available on ASOS for slightly cheaper, and I don't even use bronzer, and I have my Napoleon contouring palette and my NYX Taupe for bronzing for the purposes of contouring. So I managed to resist, lol.

      Delete
  3. Yup Nivea creme is quite nice and cheap too! Although I also miss SPF...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sleek palette looks like something I would enjoy. I don't think I can get it where I live unless you buy online which I don't do:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG it's like we are twins! I used to love Nivea Soft!!! All my friends thought I was crazy for using it on my face. I have really oily T-zone but it never made me shinier or oilier yet my whole skin felt moisturized and supple. I stopped using it because I found something better. It is inexpensive and works so when times are hard I re-purchase it. I also love St Ives Appricot Scrub, for the longest time it was the only scrub I'd use and when my budget gets tight/er I resort to buying it again because it is seriously inexpensive but amazing. I still have some left and use it once a week just because I found a finer-grain exfoliator that I can use almost everyday. Oh and the Ecotools concealer brush... I bought a second set just to get an extra one LOL I use one for, well, concealer hehe and the other one I reserved it just like you for my Color Tattoos, funny how people from different walks of life end up loving the same things, my 'soft-eco-scrub sista'!!! LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's so amazing! I love it when you read someone raving about something and speaking about it in a way that totally matches your own routine or thoughts. It's pretty uncanny that you use the Ecotools concealer brush for your Color Tattoos :) And I wouldn't have thought Nivea Soft was an issue to use for the face - I never thought about using it for the body :p I used Nivea Soft a lot when I was younger so I guess I'm just used to the idea of it being for the face. It is quite moisturising so I probably wouldn't use it during summer or when my face is on the oilier side, but I love it for winter!

      Delete
  6. Apricot Scrub is the best scrub-ever!! I've used it my whole life!!
    and I would like to buy that sleek palette, with the au naturel too^__^
    kisses ·3·

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I have my eye on the Au Naturel palette :) I really like the look of the colours.

      Delete
  7. So many favourites this month! I use the same St Ives scrub but not as often, only usually when I break out. It makes my skin feel so soft and doesn't irritate it! I've seen those masks in Priceline and I'm intrigued; from memory I don't think they were that cheap. It's good to see that they've made your favourites this month! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how much the mask is, but I have a pretty low budget when it comes to skin care (as opposed to makeup and nail polish, lol), so I'm glad the sachet was included in the Priceline bag because I most likely would never have tried it otherwise. The St Ives scrub is understandably really popular, I used to use it many years ago and I'm glad I've come back to it now :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your favourite products. One of my all-time-favourites is the St Ives Apricot Scrub. I have really sensitive skin, and it's always breaking out. Thank goodness I found this product and it has worked for me ever since. Since our taste seems to be very similar, I'm so tempted to try out the other products that you mentioned in this particular post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That scrub does wonders for my skin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THats some great color that you have here
    http://lookbook.nu/look/3952528-The-highline-Soho

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just written a post about my love of the Jemma Kidd highlighter too...It's beautiful! I also love the Maybelline Color Tattoo despite being really skeptical of it when they first came out!

    -Alice
    shinyprettythings-alice.blogspot.co.uk

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had such bad luck with St Ives scrub. I do love the eyeshadow palette, looks absolutely gorgeous
    Beauty Fiends Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read amazing things about St Ives's products!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nivea makes amazing moisturizers, I enjoy using them on my hands and body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love St. Ives Scrub as a body exfoliator. I have the "invigorating" version in the tub format. By the way, can I just say I love the way you write about things? You are very descriptive yet apt in the way you describe/review products which I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, what a nice thing to say :) I was pretty surprised at how many different versions exist of the St Ives scrub, I'm curious about the green tea one!

      Delete
  16. great lineup of favorites!
    i should start pairing cream shadow with powder myself. i love the depth of colors when you do that, just i am often out of time and have to dash out the door. lolz
    hope you have a happy september!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad to the Bronze as a base for the bronze in the Sleek palette really intensifies the powder eyeshadow and brings out the copperiness of it. And it's just easier to apply and blends much better as well :)

      You too Lena! Can't believe how the year has flown by so far...

      Delete
  17. I have used St Ives Apricot Scrub... it really worked for me....and ofcourse maybelline color tattoos i am working on this... soon i am about to post <3

    www.mahrukhhayyat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The St.Ives Apricot Scrub sounds really good! I might get one next time I visit drugstore :)
    I'm still working on my August favorites blog post,haven't got enough time lately :[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, hope you manage to find the time soon! I will look forward to your post on it. But I know what you mean, blogging is super time consuming and takes a lot of effort. Sometimes we just don't have the time or motivation.

      Delete
  19. Great favorites! I love how they're neutrals-totally products I would use! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to agree with you on the Nivea moisturiser - I've used it for years, and even though I've toyed with a lot of pricier products, it's the one I've always come back to!
    I'm quite tempted to try out the Jemma Kidd highlighter as I'm actually looking out for something quite subtle, so you might've just convinced me to snap one up! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you're a fan of Nivea Soft as well :) The Jemma Kidd is definitely on the subtle side, unless I suppose you're very fair. I saw Sam from pixiwoo use it in many of her videos to amazing effect, but it never occurred to me that Sam is a lot paler than me, and that has an impact on how the highlighter would work on me compared to her. If you see when Nic uses it in her videos, it's not as pronounced because Nic is more tan than Sam.

      Delete
  21. The St. Ives scrub is my absolute favourite! I've been using that for quite a few years now, I love it! The Bourjois Liner looks like something I should try, I hate flimsy brush tips as well. I wish I could get my hands on some Sleek products, the eyeshadows look gorgeous! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Sleek were easier to get a hold of as well, I really have my eye on some more of their eyeshadow palettes, but I don't want to order them online, lol. I highly recommend Storm though, I've been using the bronze shade in that nonstop. Though today, I accidentally dropped my palette and the hinge broke :(

      Delete
  22. Sleek storm palette is also one of my august favorites
    Your blog is so complete, im going to follow you right now :)

    xx
    Flo

    ReplyDelete
  23. The carrot mask really sounds like something I should try!

    Your jar of Nivea Soft is cute, I guess it was a summer edition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but I was quite drawn to the packaging as it was something new and unique :p I like the drawing on it! The carrot mask is really nice, especially in how soothing and calming it feels, both when you have it on and after you've washed it off.

      Delete
  24. The Sleek palette is such a bargain if you ask me. I use it all the time when I'm at uni or travelling and it works amazing.

    Sandra from The Puzzle of Sandra's Life

    ReplyDelete
  25. I must try out St Ives Apricot Scrub. I have heard such great things about it, but have just been lazy to get it so far. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gah if only I knew about that bourjois liner, too bad the voucher expired yesterday :( haha

    I love savvy luxury liners, they're sooo creamy!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. the st. ives scrub is really epic you know. i discovered the apricot scrub in high school and knew for a fact that it is something really amazing

    ReplyDelete
  28. ive always heard the goodness about that nivea moisturiser, however ive always wondered if there was an ingredient in there that may be abit harsh for sensitive skin, but after your brief review, i'll be purchasing that moisturiser when my current one runs out <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure whether it'd be suitable for those with sensitive skin, but I think it's much milder than the original Nivea creme, which I've always found to be too rich/thick/overpowering in scent. I hope you like it if you ever do get around to trying it :)

      Delete
  29. Have you checked out the new LE colour tattoos released in America? You can pick them up on ebay now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them on Amarixe but I'm so hopeless at Ebay that unfortunately I'll have to wait until they hit our shores :) I super like the kind of khaki one and the goldish bronze one.

      Delete
  30. I love the St. Ives scrub but i have the green tea though

    http://confessionsofacanadianwallflower.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aahh I need this MUA palette in my life. St. Ives suits me really well too :)
    Thanks for the awesome post, reminds me; I need to do a favorites now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've tried the Aptiva with green clay thanks to a Sephora sample, and LOVED it! I wish it's easier to buy Aptiva here in my country though! I NEED that gorgeous Rose Gold highlighter! Mmm <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want the Jemma Kid Dewy Glow sooo much!
    Those shadows look gorgeous :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely favourites! I've always wanted to try out that Jemma Kid Dewy Glow and I'm a big fan of the St Ives scrub :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found that the pink clay Apivita class makes my face tingle as well, maybe it is something in the Apivita formula. I'll have to try that Nivea cream, sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great favorites!! The perfect moisturizer really does make a difference on how makeup application goes... it's truly amazing!!

    I hope you are well :D

    <3 Rubiiee

    ReplyDelete
  37. I found one of your posts about it! Do you like to apply the highlighter with your finger tips or a buffing brush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially I used it with the Real Techniques Contour brush, but now I just use my fingers - much easier :) I prefer the RT contour brush for actual contouring with powder bronzers.

      Delete
  38. I ADORE this scrub, it really helps my oily skin xxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. I also love love love st ives apricot scrub! so great! AND affordable.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...