Monday, December 10, 2012

Cheap, Not Quite Thrills

I need a restraining order from being within 500 metres of any Priceline store. It's never just stepping inside to buy that one thing I specifically have my eye on. There's way too much temptation all around, and more often than not, I find myself wavering and giving in to an extra thing or two. After seeing the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal eyeliner in Nude (005) on Laura's blog, I knew that I had to get one for myself. I've been searching for a nude, slightly peachy eyeliner for the lower waterline à la Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Topaz without the price tag, and this Rimmel pencil seemed extremely promising. On a Friday night trip to Priceline to find the Rimmel eyeliner, I couldn't resist also picking up one of the Essence Stay All Day Long Lasting cream eyeshadows in a shade that had previously eluded me: Coppy Right.





l-r: Urban Decay Sidecar, Maybelline Bad to the Bronze, L'Oréal Bronzed Taupe, Essence Coppy Right

I've previously blogged about the shade Glammy Goes To... and I was wary that Coppy Right would have the same issues that left me underwhelmed with Glammy Goes ToPam convinced me that I should still give Coppy Right a chance, especially as the colour is completely up my alley. Coppy Right is a more flattering colour on my lids than Glammy Goes To, but I find it similarly infused with a whitish-silvery shimmer that makes it very frosty if built up in opacity. I tried it initially with the Ecotools concealer brush that I use for my Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, but I think it works best applied in thin layers with the fingers. On its own, it gives a shimmery, light wash of a slightly cool, frosty, taupey brown. Used as a base, it does intensify and deepen the colour of eyeshadows placed over it, but it also has the tendency to make the lids look scaly and dry.

Coppy Right might be a better choice than than Glammy Goes To, but both don't hold a candle to Essence Eye Soufflé in Pas Des Copper, which tones down the frostiness, amps up the pigmentation and has a much smoother, creamier formulation. I don't know why Essence hasn't reissued any more Eye Soufflé cream shadows, as I find them vastly superior to the Stay All Day range.



The Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal pencil in Nude is beautifully smooth and pigmented. It's an orange/peachy colour when swatched on the arm, but is much more nude and toned down when applied. It's definitely a warmer, more brightening colour than Essence Kajal pencil in All I Want, which I've since binned as the olive-beige shade didn't do anything for me. I haven't worn it enough to comment on the lasting power, but I tried smudging it off with my fingers after I'd applied it to the lower waterline (bad, I know), and it surprisingly didn't budge in parts.

While I can't really fault the product itself, my lower waterline is extremely sensitive, and I found that applying this pencil caused my eyes to sting. I also didn't find it really flattered my eyes, in the sense of making me look more awake or making my eyes appear larger. While it's less stark than white eyeliner, I wouldn't say that the effect is entirely natural. I think it's still obvious you're wearing something on your lower waterline, and it draws attention to that area by subtly changing the shape of the eye in a way that I'm not used to. The eye becomes more bottom heavy, if that makes sense. It probably wouldn't be an issue if I had an eyelid crease, but with monolids, the overall effect looks a little unbalanced. That being said, I honestly think Nude is more or less a dupe for the Stila eyeliner in Topaz, and for under $10, it's a total steal.

40 comments:

  1. oh yay i have been waiting for the nude liner to be released. shame it didn't work on you x

    http://kitschsnitch.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this nude liner too and after trying it I kinda actually prefer white in my waterline, it looks more natural on me :/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about the eye souffles they are so much better then the stay all day eyeshadows.
    I'm intrigued by the nude eyeliner I've been using a white one and I wonder how I would go with something like this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use essence's kajal white eyeliner pencil (despite being a bit scratchy) on my lower lash line and I don't apply it heavily so it's very light.
    I find the stay all day eyeshadows are all too shimmery. I agree and would love it if they released their eye souffles again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been searching and searching for the Nude eyeliner! I feel a bit better now that you've said it doesn't flatter monolids, though for the bargain it is, I won't let it elude me forever! My jaw dropped when I saw how pretty Coppy Right was- I had expected a reddish copper. It's such a pity Essence won't catch on that everyone wants the eye souffles again. I wish I'd nabbed Pas De Copper while it was available!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a nude eyeliner for the waterline that dupes the stila one as well but I realized the unnatural bottom heavy look you mentioned doesn't quite work for us monolids. So...I kinda gave up and stuck with highlighting the inner tear ducts for the bright effect. :P I have the same problem with purchasing extra stuff while I'm at the drugstore too!! omg so bad haha. It takes a lot of will power to not do it XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rimmel's Kajal eyeliner does look very smooth and creamy to apply and it is very pigmented! Shame it didn't suit you- and I think that most eyeliners will make the waterline feel irritated (which is why I don't really line my waterline). The shade Coppy Right does look promising though although it sucks that it tends to make your eyelids look dry and scaly (not a good look!). The formulation of the Rimmel eyeliner looks really good so I might give the other colours a go sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the Rimmel Liner in Nude, so good. The cream eyeshadow looks amazing. I don't think I can get them here which is a shame. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shades but I have to agree that nude eyeliner shade is amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been eyeing nude eyeliners forever yet the shops I usually 'visit' either don't carry the few brands that make good nude pencils or the ones they have are out of my price range : /
    Essence seems like a really nice brand, I'd love to try their cream eyeshadows, I wish more international shops started carrying more brands so we had more options.

    For anyone non-beauty-obsessed, all the bronze-taupe colours of above might seem the same, but for us beauty enthusiasts they are different enough which justifies having them all LOL
    Have a great week Lena! ♥ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the little shout out! :)
    Coppy right tends to crease on my lids when applied without base. But if I applied essence eye shadow base before, it stays on pretty good..
    I agree that the formulation isn't as good as the eye souffle.. and I am also wondering why Essence hasn't reissued the eye souffles because they are really good :D

    Have a nice Monday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a seriously sensitive waterline so I don't know about this.. thanks for the heads up! The color is seriously "nude" though haha :D Thanks for the review! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both products sound quite interesting but I'm not sure whether I'm persuaded to pick these up or to stay away haha. The Rimmel liner would definitely stand out on my monolids as well, as a matter of fact anything I put on my lower waterline does, this is why I tend to not put anything on there at all! Thanks for the heads up on these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, I just bought that Rimmel nude pencil but haven't tried it yet... I have sensitive eyes too. Sorry it's not working for you. :( x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been searching everywhere for the new Rimmel pencils but can't seem to find them anywhere! So annoying!
    The Essence is a little bit of a let down, I wish they would bring back the eye souffles too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. woooow love these.. I personally love Rimmel foundation and nailpolish! now following xx

    happy holidays!
    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the rimmel liner in nude. Should look great on the waterline.

    http://mymakeupcompulsion.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard a lot about that line in rimmel! I too have a very sensitive waterline, nothing even gel set with powder will not last for more than 3 hours without coming off or smudging. I tend to touch my tear ducts a lot and hence that doesn't help but I think a nude wouldn't be too obvious, I think I may try this since I haven't had a reaction to their other liner line.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I considered getting the Stila liner but I couldn't justify the price. I looked for the Rimmel one everywhere but never found it in any local stores. I settled for the MAC Chromagraphic in NC20/NW15 and it's amazing! It doesn't have any peach or orange it's basically beige/nude so I find it very flattering x

    ReplyDelete
  20. it is looking flattering to me.. i have never seen such pencil before.. nice review

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to try these Scandaleyes liners, some of the shades look really lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. The eyeliner is great, I've never seen it before :O
    and the shadow I've tried the Maybelline one too, and I think I don't need anymore, but this looks great :D
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Nude Rimmel pencil wasn't quite what I was hoping for. It didn't really have much effect for me, and to be honest, now I often don't bother using it. I think it does have quite an un-natural effect. However, I'm glad I tried it!

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love the colour of the Essence Shadow, it's a shame that it gets too frosty when built up x

    Angelica [One Little Vice]

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no, I feel bad that you didn't love that pencil :( It's such a shame it didn't work for you :( I hope you manage to find another use for it!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for these reviews. I have been wondering about the Rimmel liners after the mascara was a bit underwhelming for me, so I guess maybe the Scandaleyes set is just a cool name but not quite an awesome product? Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never tried anything from essence, in fact I have never seen that brand over here in the UK. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, it certainly looks very nice.

    Amy xx
    http://alittleboatsailing.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never come across a dupe for Stila's Topaz at the drugstores over here, so I think that Rimmel Nude is still quite a bargain. Wish it didn't sting your sensitive waterline, though, boo! :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review! Rimmel Nude is a really interesting color, but I don't think it would work for me either. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh I've been wanting another nude eyeliner for ages. I have one by Prestige & I've just discovered dipping it into my painterly paintpot, & it lasts ages too! I might even write about it :) The essence eyeshadow looks beautiful too. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't know Rimmel made good pencils! Looks quite creamy. :) I always go into a store and buy much more then what I initially plan to get. I have occasional cravings to just go buy makeup. Lol. Essence always has amazing stuff for such an affordable price that you just can't resist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post as always! The eye shadows look so beautiful! The only thing is about Rimmel. I once knew a girl who worked at Rimmel's production and she said that it's best not to buy their products because of what goes in them. x

    ReplyDelete
  33. love that colour!

    chloe x

    www.bloominfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. I want a Nude liner! :) I want to try that Essence Coppy Right too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. i love golden brown shadows like that!

    Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. the nude liner looks really great but it's unfortunate it didn't really work for you. I've been meaning to try nude liner as well because they look interesting, but i'm the same with you. my lower waterline is really sensitive, sometimes i dont put any eyeliner on it. hope you'll find the perfect nude liner for you though :) thanks alot for the review hun! xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. nude eyeliner? lol I am such a newbie, this is honestly the first time I've ever heard of anything like that >_< I guess from your post it appears to have the purpose of opening up the eyes more. although it didn't work that well for you maybe it would be the perfect thing for someone else looking to change their eye shape in a particular way? anyway thanks for reviewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. i totally agree about the eye souffle i much prefer them they are so creamy this was a great in-depth post now following :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hmm I actually like white eyeliner better!

    chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...