Friday, March 1, 2013

February Favourites

It seems like my makeup during the weekdays hasn't deviated from my normal routine for the longest time. It's only on the weekends that I'm inspired to try out something new or use a product that I haven't picked up in a while. This month, I've been favouring a more minimal (or bare-faced) approach on my "off" days. If I can't be bothered with makeup at all, I've enjoyed the sheer coverage and oil control of my first non-Asian BB cream, a natural pink lip and a multipurpose coral tint that I've finally figured out how to use.


Cutex Nourishing Nail Polish Remover
I couldn't get back to this nail polish remover fast enough after using (and hating) the ineffective and offensive-smelling Sally Hansen Acetone-Free Fast & Gentle Polish Remover. My favourite thing about this Cutex one, apart from the fact it just works a whole lot better at removing nail polish, is that it doesn't smell like nail polish remover. Most nail polish removers I've tried have an overwhelming, sharp chemical stench that makes taking off your polish a generally unpleasant experience. Not this one. Any chemical scent is mild and it smells more like cocoa butter. It's truly unique in that respect, and I'll happily repurchase when I run out.


Garnier BB Cream Miracle Skin Perfector Combination to Oily Skin in Light
I've been meaning to try this after reading Dawn's glowing review and seeing Lisa Eldridge use it in her Kylie Minogue video. This has become my go-to for when I don't feel like wearing foundation, but still want to even out my skin tone with light, natural coverage. It goes on smoothly with fingers on a freshly moisturised face. I'm impressed with the oil control — on really hot summer days, this only gets slightly dewier with time, but in a soft, luminous way that actually makes it better. My only caution is that it overflows when you first open it, so it's best to keep it upright and avoid squeezing the tube.


Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Collection in Comfort Zone
I've been neglecting my Urban Decay Naked palettes and instead, paying much more attention to Comfort Zone. For the longest time, I was desperate to acquire this palette (along with the Color Icon Eyeshadow Trio in Silent Treatment), but once it was finally mine, my enthusiasm waned. It's taken me a while to come around, but my appreciation for it grows the more I use it. My favourites are the left crease colour all over the lid and the two bottom shades applied along the upper lash line and slightly blended out. The duochrome of the right "Definer" shade is a thing of beauty. Small warning: the bottom left shade has A LOT of fall out. It's also much closer to a straightforward black than the rich, shimmery bronze that it looks like in the pan, which is the only minor disappointment of this palette for me.


Clinique Chubby Stick in Woppin' Watermelon
Despite having a ridiculous number of lipsticks, I barely wear them the vast majority of the time. During the day, if I'm not wearing nothing on my lips, I usually prefer a safe and sheer option. A little something to add some colour and moisture, but nothing that screams lipstick or is too noticeable. That's when Woppin' Watermelon is the perfect choice. It's a neutral, rosy pink that still has a bit of juiciness. It's softly glossy, fairly hydrating and buildable in colour. And I just love the look of it. The packaging is A+ in my book.



Benefit Cha Cha Tint
I've always liked Cha Cha Tint, but never used it much. That changed when I found an easier way to apply it. Dabbing a bit of the tint on your hand, then dipping your finger into the product to blend onto the cheek, gives you much more control than applying the product directly to your finger, and then to your cheek. (Whatever you do, don't apply this directly to your cheek, unless you want a red dot on your face all day.) The only downside to applying it to your hand first is that it does leave a stain. I can live with that. Though I have a million coral/peachy blushes, what I love about Cha Cha Tint is that it's neither shimmery nor matte. It never looks powdery or shiny on the cheeks. It just melds into the skin completely and invisibly. Sparingly and carefully applied, it gives the face a fresh, youthful, pinky-peachy-coral pep.

46 comments:

  1. I've been favouring a BB cream over foundation at the moment. It's quite refreshing!

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Benefit is offering new boxed sets for 35 USD in HK which include a blush/powder, a tint (benetint, posietint or cha-cha tint) and a lipgloss, I believe. I'll try to get my hands on one of these sets just for a mini-tint haha :) The fact that you say that it melts into your skin intrigues me! How amazingly natural!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I got my hands on this Cha Cha Tint - through the boxed set! It's a really good way to sample some of Benefit's popular products, especially since I rarely use up a full size of anything except skin care. I did a post on mine here if you want to take a look: http://sleepandwater.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/summer-in-box.html :)

      Delete
  3. It usually takes me a while to get into Wet'n'Wild palettes because of the lack of mattes, but once I do I really love them x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for a review on Garnier's BB cream, glad that you have it in your favourites! Love the wnw palette! Cha cha tint is so pretty! :) xo

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the shades in the eye shadow palette, they are just the type of colours that I would be most drawn to. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tip about the Cha Cha Tint. I have the Posie and Benetint and found it hard to control how much product by using the little applicator directly on my cheeks. Want to try the Garnier's BB cream. I have oily skin and not a lot of drug store BB cream is made for combination to oily skin types.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to try that nail polish remover! I didn't even know that a non-chemical smelling one existed, haha. I bought the Comfort Zone palette a while ago, but never got around to using it for some reason. I'll use it today :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's really funny cos wet 'n wild was always sort of this cheapy 90s brand back when i was young, but now it has become so much more sophisticated and i have only heard great things about their eyeshadows! i really want to try them myself!

    http://www.lovefromberlin.net/
    xx rae

    ReplyDelete
  9. That wet n wild palette is everywhere! I've been reading such awesome reviews on it!
    The Clinique chubby stick looks really pretty-
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh that eyeshadow palette looks beautiful and I really like Cha Cha Tint too! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooo I'm pretty sure you should do sales for a professional career... you ALWAYS manage to sell me on EVERYTHING!! The things that you listed, apart from those I already own, went directly on my to-buy list; not even my wish-list but my to-buy list.
    Thanks for another beautiful and bad-for-my-wallet-good-for-my-soul post :)

    Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just this morning, I was thinking about how badly I wanted something for those lazy days I dont want to do a full foundation routine. The BB cream sounds fab. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't like the first Garnier BB cream but may try this one out :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also want a wet n wild palette! They look so lovely!
    Lovely favourites you have :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use that nail polish remover too! It's awesome :)
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I'm really intrigued by the oily skin version of the Garnier BB cream. I haven't come across it yet and the original does not appeal to me at all! I have been loving the Stila BB and would like to find something a little more affordable to interchange with it

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the garnier oil free bb cream!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want that WnW palette so bad!!! Look at all those gorgeous colours ^^
    I know what you mean about tints, I had a sample of Benetint a while ago and by the time I figured out the best way to apply it it was almost all gone : / You'd think that beign as expensive as Benefit is they'd include several instructions on how to apply their products, but nooooo! I still love the brand, they make the best powder foundation in my modest opinion : )
    Nice picks as always Lena, I always add some of your favourites to my never-ending beauty wishlist! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the chacha tint & everything else you have here :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woopin' Watermelon is my favorite lip product EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard great things about the garnier bb cream and I'll try to find the nail polish remover because all the ones I've tried have been chemically smelling like you mentioned and they just dried my skin up.

    http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. How good is the bb cream... my favourite! Great post!

    http://kitschsnitch.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is that studio lighting I'm seeing?! :P You're making me want to try the Garnier BB Cream again! :( Does the Light shade match you? And I've got the Lioele version of the orange tint coming my way, so I'm glad you shared that little tip! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you manage to pick out the smallest details of my posts, your observant comments validate me totally :p The difference in lighting is because I didn't get to shoot in natural daylight like I normally do. So these were actually taken at night with the artificial light in my room. I could only get away with it because of my camera - but barely. There's a lot more noise in these pictures because of the lack of light.

      I think Light matches me okay, nothing too noticeable in terms of a shade mismatch. Do post about the Lioele once you get it :)

      Delete
  24. want the comfort zone palette so bad! x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with you on cha cha tint, even thought I have the posie tint! I think it's the best method of application although most days I find it easier to just grab a powder blush. Comfort Zone is such a great palette, I love the bottom right shade, it's probably one of my all time favourite eye shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great list of favourites, these are all new products to me. :)

    http://jemaroons.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loooveee Wet n Wild <3
    The Garnier BB Cream is one of the better Western BB Creams I've tried but unfortunately, I just don't like the matte finish and the colour doesn't match for me :(
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wanted to try the Garnier BB Cream for oily/combination skin- however as I don't have that skin type and am content with Garnier's original BB cream I haven't given it a go. Cutex nail polish removers are very good, I'm waiting for a sale to pick it up (as I am trying to use up a generic branded one I got from Coles, ugh it stinks). Woppin' Watermelon looks so pretty, a great everyday lip colour! Cha cha tint looks quite intimidating to be honest... it looks like such a neon orange!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the Curex nail polish remover, too! Such a better smell then acetone haha. The Wet n Wild palette looks soo nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What's your favourite peachy blush so far? I had to throw out my Tarte Green Siren recently (sadpanda) and I'm looking for a replacement! I'm looking for something with not too too much pink, otherwise it stops looking like peach on me. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I like NARS Deep Throat, Benefit Sugarbomb and Benefit Cha Cha Tint. Cheaper options are the Essence Asian Sensation from the Cherry Blossom Girl range and Bourjois Rose Coup de Foudre :)

      Delete
  31. Nice picks. Id love to try that wet n wild palette, ive tried their trios and they're lovely! Yet to try any of cliniques chubby sticks but I really do want to get at least one from the to try! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have some samples of the garnier BB Cream and so far I like it! it is different than its 'previous sister' which I didn't like at all.
    the problem is, I have now too many foundations, tinted moisturizers and BB Creams to finish up, so I decided not to buy the full size of the garnier bb cream, at least for now ;)
    chacha tint is also one of my fave cheek product, because it is so easy and effortless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have your exact same problem. It's insanity that I even bought this Garnier one because I have way too many foundations open at the moment, as well as 2 unopened foundations that are just waiting for me to finish something first (which will never happen in the next 1-2 years realistically speaking, lol).

      Delete
  33. I would love to try that bbcream from Grarnier, the oily skin version, it's not avaible in my country yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great colors of eyeshadows!!!!

    http://beautyofheworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh really interesting favrites. That Bb cream from garnier looks interesting.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've always wanted to try the Clinique chubby sticks!
    And if you want a nail polish remover that doesn't stink, there's something even better than the Cutex! Use the Zoya Remove+ 3 in 1 Nail Polish Remover. It's AMAZING. It smells like lavender and is super natural compared to other really chemical filled nail polish removers (like Cutex) because it only has about 3 ingredients.

    www.chochalistas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi dear
    I am a new follower
    I invite you to become a reader
    really a fantastic post and blog!
    You can also follow me on FB, bloglovin and pinterest

    kisses

    Giorgia

    ReplyDelete
  38. I so wanted to try the garnier BB too! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  39. You're so lucky ! I always want to try wet n' wild eyeshadows but we haven't that in France :'(

    Turtle <3

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was also lemming for the comfort zone for a long time and when I got it, I barely used it. I've been seeing more people using it these days, as spring is coming and I'm looking into wearing a bit of green on the eyes. I find some shades of green look great with brown eyes :) Anyway, seeing your post on it makes me want to use it all the more! You should post photos of your eyes using it! I do agree that the lowest left shade is disappointing. It looks really dark and not bronzey like that of in the pan. Oh well. The other colors are great though.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the eye shadow palette! I have been in search of a 'green' palette for a while and this one looks very pretty and user friendly too!
    Thanks
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  42. i was given a free sample of the korean version of the benetint, either tony moly or etude house i can't remember but i never know how to use it because it seems so set so quickly D:

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...