Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gummy Tint

I wasn’t going to buy the new L'Oréal Shine Caresse Lip Colour (said to be a cheaper dupe for the YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis à Lèvres Glossy Stain), but I stopped by Priceline last Wednesday and thought, well, it is my birthday. With a buy 3 for 2 offer being further incentive (though at $23.95 a pop, Australian pricing is still a joke), all I had to worry about was the right shade selection. In the end, I narrowed it down to the nude Lolita (101), purplish pink Marilyn (103) and coral Princess (200), much like 90% of my existing lip product collection. The more subdued and neutral Lolita just edged out Romy (102), which seemed a bit too warm for my complexion. Eve (400) looked too purple, Bonnie (501) too tawny-brown. The vampy plum of Milady (402) and deep cherry red of Juliet (300) would be my picks if I wore darker, more dramatic colours more than five times a year, but as usual, I opted for more safe, wearable shades.






l-r: Lolita (101), Marilyn (103), Princess (200)

l-r (first row, then second row): Lolita (101), Marilyn (103), Princess (200)


The Shine Caresse Lip Colours are described as a cross between a lip gloss and lip stain. I never gave much thought to what that meant, until I tried them and realised that if you don’t like lip gloss, these might pose a problem. I find they leave a sort of sticky, mask-like sensation on my lips that isn't exactly drying, but is far from comfortable. The main issue I have with these is that rather than being really liquid and smooth like a gloss, once you apply them, it feels like a thin layer of viscous paste has set on top of the lip. There’s a lot of resistance if you try to press your lips together to blend the product, and little bits of dried up gloss ball up and cause uneven patches on the lip. Really strange. My lips felt ten times better after I generously applied some Korres Mango Lip Butter to two coats of Princess.

Lolita and Marilyn are really quite sheer, with Princess being the only one that gives a vibrant pop of colour. I found that they require two coats for opaque coverage, as it often looks patchy and not pigmented enough with just one. Lolita is a rosy, slightly mauvey brown with fine gold shimmer — one of those “my lips but better” shades that is daytime and work-appropriate. Marilyn misleadingly looks like a bright magenta in the tube, but appears more like a watered down, pinkish berry shade. Princess is a vivid coral red. The stain they impart is nowhere near as intense or long-lasting as the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains. You can wipe it off with your hands and it’s practically half gone.

What I do love about the Shine Caresse Lip Colours is they impart a wet, glossy look that reminds me of a translucent candy that’s been sucked on. The finish is a juicy, jelly-like stain that isn’t overly shiny, which is unlike any lip product I've tried. L'Oréal have done well with the gold packaging and teardrop-shaped applicator, which is reminiscent of higher end brands. But overall, I can't say I'm a fan. They lack staying power as a stain, are much sheerer than expected, but above all, are just not comfortable on my lips.

43 comments:

  1. The paste like consistency is a bit off-putting, but Princess is super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it on the back of my hand, and it was so painful to rub it off! Sot it's definitely waterproof and long lasting.
    However, the colour range is so so, I didn't find any colour that I absolutely love, what a pity :/
    Marilyn looks great on you, perhaps I will try it out later, great review :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. that consistency probably wouldn't work for me then although the colors are beautiful :) thanks for sharing.

    www.novelave.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a shame! I'm loving the colour Princess though!
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those colours look awesome but I don't like gloss because I can't stand that sticky feeling on my lips, maybe that's why I only wear lip stain. The packaging reminds me a lot YSL.
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Princess looks really lovely! Shame it feels a bit sticky and thick on the lips. Thanks for the review and swatches~

    Happy belated birthday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if there's a difference in formula from country to country. I have a fuchsia one and I found it to be very drying and thin feeling. Happy belated birthday ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought two of these whilst I was in Malaysia but they have a different shade range... Picked up Lolita though! They're around $10 AUD over there. I've only used one of them (Lolita) a couple of times but so far I'm disappointed in the pigmentation... Time will tell. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bright pink and red one so pretty x

    www.krystelcouture.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just picked up a few of these the other day. So excited to try them because I'm obsessed with YSL glossy stains. Can't wait to see how they compare. I think the color names are a little different here in Canada -- I picked up Color Tattoo, Infinite Fuchsia, and Pink Rebellion :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely can't handle these. I own one and just don't understand it... it's streaky, patchy, and (like you said) the feeling on your lips is just plain uncomfortable (bordering on disgusting). And I cannot BELIEVE how expensive these are in Australia!!! Yuck, definitely not worth it at ALL. :(

    Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad someone feels the same as me :p I don't get it either as most reviews I've read haven't mentioned anything about how uncomfortable they are on the lips, when it is SO obvious and the absolute prevailing no-no for me.

      Delete
  12. They look pretty on you but if you're not comfortable wearing them there's no point! I can't believe those glosses could be so expensive, I haven't seen them here in my local stores yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The nude one is Perfect for me!!

    Http://styleloveandsushi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The brush seems to be amazing and I love the colours you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've heard so many mixed reviews on this product. i love the ysl stains so i thought i would give this a go but now i'm even more uncertain. i'm prob going to get some this week because they're on sale here. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feeling is if you have the YSL stains, why buy this vastly inferior purported "dupe"? :p I guess the only reason is to satiate your curiosity, and maybe you will be happier with them as I am (I hope so!). And thanks :)

      Delete
  16. Now that I've read this review, I'll stay away from them. I'm not a fan of lip glosses and would probably hate the consistency/feeling on my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the candy-like gloss effect. It's beautiful on your lips. I need to get my butt to go buy them, ALL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been trying to find these for a few days, but your review has worried me slightly! A paste like texture definitely doesn't sound appealing! The colours look really pretty on you though! I think I'll buy one and see how I feel before purchasing anymore! Thanks for the advice :)

    Aimée Xx
    dress-it-up-6@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea - buy one first and see how you go! Maybe you'll end up liking them much more than me :)

      Delete
  19. I've found the same thing with these glosses - still trying it out to see how I feel about them. I love the colours but the feeling on the lips can be a little off putting.
    Also, I love your nail polish! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a shame you didn't get on with them - I've heard many people rave about theses which made me want to try them. But after reading this I'm unsure! :/ Princess is a gorgeous colour though! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not too sure about these either, they don't really wow me! x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love how these look on the lips, I think for the price they look pretty nice, even if they are a little sticky!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the review! I'll definitely give these a miss, the price definitely isn't an incentive either. I think I'll wait for the Rimmel Apocalips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated birthday Lena!!! ♥ Hope you had a wonderful time sweetie ^^
    Thanks a lot for the review. Not being a fan of lipstick and having more lip balms and glosses one could ever need, I think I'm going to pass on these given that they're not that great to begin with. Too bad you made this rather disappointing purchase on your special day : / xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review! I've been wanting to grab a handful of these so badly as most people can't seem to stop raving about them, but your review is so well balanced. Now I'm thinking twice, but they do look lovely.

    Always in shock at the AUS pricing... and I thought Canadian prices were bad compared to the US. :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look gorgeous, and the packaging is so luxurious! They remind me exactly of the YSL Glossy stains, which I don't have but want desperately, but I will have to give these a go! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's a shame you didn't like these because I love them! I just got two in Romy and Lolita and I love how long they stay glossy on me! I seem to experience a longer lasting stain than you did as well... Maybe it's just me?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've tried one of these l'oreal stain and I have to agree with you. I think lip stains aren't made to be my friends. I don't really like the feeling of it, and they always bleed on me -.-
    The YSL version though, is nice, but not really my fave either..

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really wanted to try one of these, but now I'm not too sure.
    And damn, make-up is expensive in Aus :(

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have Marilyn and what was disappointing for me was that the shade appeared completely different on my lips to what was in the tube or what I swatched on my hand. x

    ReplyDelete
  31. oooh, I loved all the shades! they look so pretty ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey! Great post I just came across your blog and I love it! It would be amazing if you could visit my blog too. We can also follow each other if you like! :)

    www.malefashionuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. They all look pretty on you, but the texture seems like none of my favourite. I agree on your "viscous paste" comment. Some of lip glosses have that, and that is why I have avoided lip glosses since 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  34. he three color looks beautiful on you. But I love it Marylin color because looks natural and cute that package looks so like YSL is really elegant.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow i've seen fleurdeforce rave about the YSL glossy stains (and now claiming these are a good dupe), super keen to give them a go now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was actually debating if i should buy a few of these the other day when I was at the drugstore, their packaging is tempting but I decided to wait until I did a bit of research on them, which I'm glad. The texture of these lip stains/gloss is a big turn off, ergggh...I guess I'll stay far away. But if you do want to splurge, I think the YSL glossy stains are a better option (as the person above me has mentioned). I have one, and the texture is smooth and wet but not sticky on the lips. They also stain the lips pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's too bad they're not comfortable to wear, as they look absolutely beautiful. I just can't deal with tacky, thick lip products though. Thanks for the warning! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. These looks so expensive cause of the packaging. The colour is delightful and would look great on tanned or pale skin.

    Love!!

    Luc X

    www.love-luc.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know what you mean - they feel weird on my lips too. I have two shades and won't be rushing to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love these too! I picked up three of them in the same sale too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...