Monday, May 13, 2013

Glitterati Pursuit

When I first saw images of the Face of Australia Glitterati nail polish collection, my eyes were drawn immediately to the three milky glitters, Funky Town, Heart of Glass and Boogie Wonderland. The other 5 multicoloured glitter polishes in a clear base I could probably do without, or already had in some variation (Ulta3 Over the Rainbow, Sportsgirl Glitter Bug, OPI Rainbow Connection, and Studio 54 = Sportsgirl Rose Gold). But the pastel-based glitter polishes were unlike anything I'd seen an Australian brand release, with the exception of Australis Milky Way. At just $4.95 each, I knew I had to hunt them down. There was quite the saga of how that happened (especially with the frenzy over Kmart recently having $4 off Face of Australia products, making these polishes 75 cents a pop), but I'll spare you the details.




From most reviews I've read, the consensus on Funky Town is that it's lacking in execution. The blue base is too opaque for the glitter to show through, especially if you apply more than one layer. I did three, and when I scrubbed away the colour with nail polish remover, I unearthed multiple pieces of glitter stuck to my nail that had previously been completely covered up by the blue. I guess if you were only going to do one coat, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The dusty cornflower blue is nice enough as a standalone creme, even without the addition of tiny bright blue and black hexagonal glitter and larger, pale copper hexagonal pieces.



My hands down favourite Heart of Glass is the must-have in this collection. There's so much going on glitter-wise in this polish that it's hard to register all at once. I can see small and large magenta hex glitter, tiny purple squares, large red squares, small, sparse iridescent bar glitter pieces, small holo hex glitter, and red hearts (mainly at the base of my bottle — I've yet to fish one out with my brush). All in a beautiful, pale pink base. Which applied opaque in two coats, the formula was that spot on. I convinced a friend to buy a bottle of Heart of Glass when we were at Priceline together and she texted me the next day saying, "loving my new nail polish!" Ditto.


Boogie Wonderland was my second most coveted polish in the collection. When it's time for Heart of Glass to come off my nails, Boogie Wonderland is going straight on. The glitter is much more dense and pronounced than in Funky Town and Heart of Glass. There's small orange, blue, purple and magenta hex glitter with blue and green curls, iridescent bars and huge holographic hexagonal pieces in a whitish blue base. My only gripe with this polish is that the blue and green curls don't lie flat on the nail and also have a tendency to hang off the edge. You need to manoeuvre those pieces carefully and finish off with a fairly thick layer of top coat to achieve a smooth surface.

l-r: Funky Town, Heart of Glass, Boogie Wonderland



Overall, I'm pretty thrilled with these new additions to my nail polish collection. I'm tiring somewhat of brightly coloured, chunky glitter in a clear base (or those polishes require a bit more creativity that I'm lacking in terms of how to best utilise them), but milky glitters are something I don't see around very much and don't have a lot of (only Revlon Popular, my beloved Revlon Whimsical and China Glaze It's a Trap-eze!). Best of all, they're so affordable that you could buy the whole collection of 8 polishes for the same price as 2 OPI polishes in Australia. Or just stockpile Heart of Glass. It's limited edition, after all.

61 comments:

  1. I really want these, but haven't managed to find them anywhere! I picked up three shades while they were 75c; Dancing Queen, lookin for some hot stuff and Studio 54. Studio 54 is pretty much identical to the Sportsgirl one. I need to keep hunting these down! Especially Heart of Glass and Boogie Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I drove myself crazy trying to find them. I couldn't find them by myself, I had friends help me (bless their souls - I don't know how they put up with my irrational makeup wants sometimes, haha!). Studio 54 is basically identical to Sportsgirl Rose Gold. Like I'm pretty sure they are the exact same polish just repackaged.

      Delete
  2. Omgossh! Heart of Glass and Boogie Wonderland are the real funky ones here! They look so awesome! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i never realised the FOA nail polishes were so affordable!
    Love the look of Heart of Glass, cute name too :3
    i definitely have to check it out, maybe when the craze dies down a little :P

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you need Heart of Glass! Only $4.95 ;) Finding it is the only issue :p

      Delete
  4. Heart of Glass is so pretty! I think milky glitters can be a bit hit and miss with the formula but if I got my hands on that one I'd be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely, I particularly like 'Boogie Wonderland' :) The blue polish is maybe a bit too opaque which is preventing the glitter coming through, it is a lovely shade of blue though and the names are fantastic.

    Amy xx
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart of glass does look very pretty, I have recently bought Boogie Wonderland, though yet to wear it ..and OMG both the linked Revlon polishes and China Glaze polish is gorgeous ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of them look so pretty!! Want badly now to try Face of Australia !!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these I cannot wait to receive them in the mail :D

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can Heart of Glass be more gorgeous? I'm going crazy over it ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah I need this shades! No idea who I can get them as Im in the UK though! :-(

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. heart of glass is superrrrr pretty! its definitely something id be hunting down!
    if only funky town was more of a baby blue..!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, you managed to pick some up! I am the opposite, I loved the look of all the non milky glitters :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow I LOVE them!!! <3 <3 So cute and unique too xx

    Gemma | ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the effects of this :-) the blue is super pretty x

    www.krystelcouture.com

    GLAMGLOW GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  15. How amazing colours! I want it:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boogie Wonderland is pretty much everything I've ever dreamed of in a nail polish (and I'm loving Heart of Glass, too). I can't seem to find a way to get these in France though :'(.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funkytown's color makes it amazing but I agree, Heart of Glass is totally beautiful. The glitter in Boogie Wonderland though, agh! So amazing O.o I wonder how they make these polishes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boogie Wonderland, want! It looks so amazing, both in the bottle and on the nails. Enjoy them all Lena : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super pretty! I love those colors especially the two light ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heart of Glass! Wah, so pretty! <3 And at that price, what a find!

    xo runbarbierun.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've decided I need Heart of Glass.
    But I don't think I can find them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they were so hard to find. Total nightmare. I hope you manage to track them down somehow soon!

      Delete
  22. I need these so badly! Loving heart of glass and boogie wonderland

    dolcebeautyx.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to get my hands on these! I went to kmart to hunt them down during that sale, but my kmart is filthy and *never* stocked T_T

    Guess I'll just be eyeing the priceline catalogues for a sale then ^^

    Thanks for the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the Kmart sale was amazing only if you could actually find them! My nearest one doesn't even stock FOA and another one I went to specifically in the hope of finding them had a 100% barren stand. I was so irritated and devastated LOL.

      Delete
  24. OMG they are beautiful!! esp the heart of glass! too bad we dont have face of austalia here T.T
    I've been loving my revlon whimsical so much and milky-glitters polishes are now my latest obsession..
    have you seen the etude house version of milky-glitter polishes?? they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might've on a couple of blogs but I've never seen those polishes available here (and I don't want to resort to shopping online :p). I like the look of these Hard Candy speckled polishes released in the US as well. Glad you like Whimsical - you know how partial I am to it! :)

      Delete
  25. These are all so lovely :)
    I kinda love polishes like this who has glitter in a colored nail polish instead of a clear one :)
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shame about the first one not looking all that stellar but OH. MY. LORD!!!!! Heart of Glass is everything... EVERYTHING!!! I have to see if I can hunt that down for a reasonable price on eBay because that needs to be in my collection. I'm with you when you say that there aren't enough of these milky-glitter polishes on the market; such a shame because they're gorgeous when done correctly!!

    Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely want the two pale shades!! So fun and subtle, I love the mixed bits of glitter, the imperfection in the mix makes it so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG these are so so so cute.... damn loving product...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heart of Glass is GORGEOUS! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heart of Glass is soooo pretty!! I wish we could get those in the US. xx
    www.ruelalips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Heart of Glass is so pretty. I only recently started using glittery nail polish like that. I wish these were available in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look lovely, haven't tried any milky glitters, but love how they look! Might see if I can get my hands on some here!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm obsessed with milky shades that contain glitters! I wish we had those in my country. They look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those three are really cute! I think my favorite of them is Heart of Glass... it's so soft and sweet. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Glitterati is a new brand for me, the three are really lovely colors.
    Boogie wonderland was my favorite I don´t know why but is really cunny.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are all gorgeous, although they do sound like a bum to apply! I haven't tried any milky glitters but would love to. Wish I had a kmart damnit what an amazing saving! xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heart of Glass looks like such a gorgeous subtle glitter polish! Argh wish they made these in the UK :( x

    LouiseLovesLipstick.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love how the polishes aren't jam packed with glitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My god, these are adorable. Don't think I've ever said that about NAIL POLISH!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh how I wish I had access to FOA! I love their Face Base Primer but holy-hey I'd love to wear their milky glitters!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am so in love with these nail polishes ! Thanks for sharing :)

    Cherry~~
    PS I am back and really missed reading your blog posts !!

    http://cherryberrypoon.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  43. The milky-ness of these polishes are so adorable. I especially love Heart of Glass and i love the glitter varietu in boogie wonderland. Wish I could get my hands on these! :P

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am still hitting myself for not being aware of the 75c deal at Kmart- what am absolute bargain. Heart of Glass is absolutely beautiful and would be the first one I would get my hands on! I agree that the base colour of Funky Town really hides the glitters- what a shame as it could have had extreme potential to be a pretty polish. I'm yet to own a milky nail polish- let's hope I manage to nab them soon before they are gone from the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh heart of glass is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. ah wish we had these in the uk! beautiful! x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, I love how unique and pretty these look! I'll definitely keep an eye out for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such pretty, unique polishes, especially boogy wonderland :)
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  49. I was devastated about these coming out whilst being on my project pan! Luckily Priceline sent me my rewards voucher which covered the purchase of two of these bad boys! Heart of Glass currently gracing my nails and I think I'm in love <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...