Monday, July 29, 2013

Fad and Fantasy

It's been many months since I compiled a wishlist, and I've been feeling the itch lately to do another one. Reading back on my past wishlists provides a really powerful snapshot of how my cosmetic interests have developed over the past year and a half (mainly, how my makeup collection has ballooned to unacceptable levels). I find making and reflecting on wishlists to be a great way of filtering what was merely a fad and what material desires have withstood the test of time. The exercise also encourages you to both justify any potential purchases while putting off acquiring them as you mull over whether or not to give into temptation.


1. Jouer Matte Moisture Tint in Linen
I so do not need this (like everything on this list), but I don't know, there's just something about a hyped up base that makes me unreservedly keen for a slice of the action. Said by fellow bloggers to be a lighter version of the also hyped Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation, I have hopeful visions of this ticking all the boxes in terms of colour match, coverage, finish, staying power, application and oil control. I still haven't found my absolute holy grail light-to-medium coverage foundation with a semi-matte finish (not too dewy, but not completely matte) capable of lasting the whole day without melting off, caking or excessively transferring. Too much to ask? Probably. But one can still dream.

2. Chanel Vitalumière Aqua in B20
Basically the same story as the Jouer, but this has been on my wishlist for ages. I was planning to buy it from the US last year, but it just never happened. I kept postponing it until the last moment, and when I finally was ready to hand over the cash, my shade was sold out. I'm really curious how this will perform on my skin, as I've read fairly mixed reviews. It's one of those bases that is so talked about, often raved about, that I feel like I'm missing out having never tried it. Not sure if I should be concerned that alcohol is really high up on the ingredients list though.

3. Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay Cologne
I've never owned anything by Jo Malone due to the crazy prices (a 30ml cologne is $90 here, or $170 for 100ml), but this one along with Orange Blossom were my favourites when I tested the fragrances out at David Jones. I'm partial to fruity and floral scents, and Blackberry & Bay is fruity without being too synthetic and sugary or reminiscent of tropical juice. It's one of those soft, simple, uplifting but comforting smells that you could wear on its own or layer with other perfumes. The bottle alone makes me wish it were on my dressing table.

4. Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner
Forgive me for being such a cliché for including this — it had to be done. Highly recommended by Caroline Hirons, this is the only product I've genuinely come close to buying several times in the past few weeks. I've bookmarked it on Adore Beauty (perpetually sold out) and check StrawberryNET in a religious fashion. It is back in stock for now, but for how long remains to be seen. I recently bought the Alpha-H Anti Ageing Discovery Collection off BeautyBay, so I'm convincing myself I don't need this toner as I have enough products with AHAs to last me at least the next few months.

5. REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask
Another skin care product that has received a lot of attention, but one that I probably won't be getting any time soon purely because of the price. I ain't forking out over $60 for an exfoliating mask. (Though I wouldn't think twice about spending that much on dinner, drinks and dessert on a night out.) Of course I'd be interested in a product that claims to deliver glowy, brightened, renewed skin, but I'll just have to rely on my existing skin care to (hopefully) get me there. I've yet to try anything from REN, but their Starter Kit for normal skin, containing a 15ml sample of this mask, seems to be an ideal introduction to the brand.

6. Dior Diorskin Poudre Shimmer in Amber Diamond
This powder highlighter has been on my wishlist since the dawn of time. Well, at least since March last year. I deeply regret not buying it off StrawberryNET when I had the chance as it's now no longer available. Sometimes I just get it wrong when deciding when I should exercise restraint, and when I should just give in. I don't think I've ever read a negative review of this product, which only intensifies how much I wish it were sitting among my collection of highlighters right now.

7. Origins GinZing Energy-boosting moisturiser
A favourite of Alix, I've tried a dollop of this on my hand a couple of times at Kit, and I've really enjoyed the cooling sensation and citrus scent. The texture sits somewhere between a cream and a gel — it feels light and non-greasy, but still lush and hydrating. I momentarily placed this in my cart the other day, but rationalised that I should use up my current Trilogy cream first. At $44 for 50ml (and cheaper online), it's still on the pricey side, but slightly more attainable than other offerings from Origins.

8. SUQQU Cheek Brush
This one's firmly in daydreaming territory, at an eye-popping £85 (or $AUD141) from Selfridges. Please send professional help should I actually consider purchasing this. Seeing it being used in practically every single Lisa Eldridge video (her "kitten paw" brush) doesn't help subside the wanting, but the price tag sure does.

9. Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base
I'm going through a major bronzer phase despite it being the middle of winter (or perhaps because of it), and I've finally come around to wanting this cream bronzer, about two years after everyone else. I've read the texture is superb to work with and it has multiple uses (contouring, all over bronzer, underneath foundation), making it versatile and seemingly a whole lotta fun to experiment with. I particularly loved this post from Laura demonstrating the ways she uses her Soleil Tan de Chanel. You get a huge amount of product (30g) which goes a long way in redeeming the hefty initial spend.

41 comments:

  1. I love the clarins toner, it was in my favourites this month. Chanel Soliel Tan de Chanel is worth the money too, a beautiful product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. basically all of these items are also on my wishlist! particularly the REN mask, Origins moisturiser (huge fan of Alix!) and the Jo Malone. sadly i don't think they will be wishes come true for a while, at least until we have recovered from the horrors of wedding expenses... or perhaps i can justify them as bridal necessities?! x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really trying hard not to purchase the Clarins exfoliator; I want it so much. Pay day is right around the corner and I can see this being my first purchase.

    The Dior highlighter is AMAZING. I bought the Rose Shimmer version recently and I couldn't be without it. Seriously, SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know I want the Clarins toner heaps too! If it is ever out of stock on the sites you mentioned, it is also stocked on ry.com. The Ren mask and Amber Diamond have been on my wishlist for ages too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wearing JM Blackberry & Bay right now, and it really is a must - though I did prefer it in Winter/Spring than I do right now, but I guess it's all down to personal preference. I think if you purchase a JM fragrance, despite the price tag, you will never look back - I own 10 of her fragrances now, always opting for the smaller sized bottle, and they last so long as the fragrance is so concentrated that one or two squirts is enough.
    As if I wasn't being enough of an enabler already, I cannot recommend the REN mask enough. Like you I thought I didn't need it, so chucked it on my birhday wishlist recently and I am blown away by it. I thought it would be a nice extra, but it's the single best and most effective product that I have ever used, far beyond the likes of Alpha H Liquid Gold etc xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that the Dior Amber Diamond was super hyped and not worth it - but it IS! I bought it on a whim and I haven't been able to put it down since. It's gorgeous for summer! I also love both the Chanel products on this list. I've wanted to dry the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint but I'm afraid it will emphasize dryness on my face. :/

    <3
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am desperate to get my hands on the Origins Moisturiser!
    Wasn't that impressed by the Clarins Toner if I'm honest. You HAVE to get Amber Diamond.
    REN is my fave brand but I can't believe how expensive it is for you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Clarins, REN and Origins products are all on my list too ♥

    http://itsjessicachoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The REN masque is definitely an investment, I own it. I like it a lot, but having said that I'm not convinced it's worth the money. I can't help but feel there are cheaper alternatives with the same base ingredients and effects.

    As for the Dior Amberdiamond, speaking as someone who DID make the SNet purchase... I have no regrets. It only takes a whisper of the dreaded 'd' word and there's a frenzy. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I tried REN Gloytic..weird thing is.. there's all these little black dots inside the cap whenever I use it , they come back? Does this ever happen to you?

    Clarins Toner is something I've wanted to try for a while but I don't think it's even here in the US? I can't find it anywhere!

    Jouer does not have my skin tone for their foundations..so I am pretty upset about that. Everyone seems to love it!

    Velia | Cocoamourr ;Makeup&Skincare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know if that ever happens to you***

      Delete
  11. I have [and love] Chanel Vitalumiere - even in this exact shade! The only thing is that it doesn't last so long on the skin so don't go there with high expectations of long-wear.. but it has a beautiful finish and does wonders to the skin.

    Fusels x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The jo malone fagrance is on my wishlist too! I've only heard amazing things about those perfumes! I'm obsessed with amber diamond - it's one of my all-time favorite products!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so incredibly tempted by the Clarins toner, I'm trying to convince myself I don't need it at least until I've used up a few of my other products first!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've also wanted Amber Diamond since seeing Tanya Burr rave about it on her YouTube Channel. I also have the burning desire to buy Jouer Matte tint. I love tinted moisturizers, but they always go too dewy (i.e. greasy) on my oily skin. I've heard lovely things about Jouer as a brand, and in particular about this product. Have you ever tried any Jouer products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly I haven't! The brand definitely seems to be getting more attention from beauty bloggers, but I haven't tried anything of theirs yet. Hopefully that'll change soon!

      Delete
  15. I am yet to try Ren, Origins, Jouer and Laura Mercier! :) x

    Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've tried the Chanel, REN and Dior products. You already know how I feel about the Dior highlighter :) If you get the chance again I know you would not regret buying it, it's crazy how hard it is to find all over the world, I would have thought because it's so popular they would have made it more widely and easily available! I love Vitalumiere Aqua, I will definitely repurchase this again some day. It's just the perfect glowy light coverage foundation. I love the REN mask too, I've done a serious overhaul of my skincare routine and this is a huge part of it, I've had no spots at all since starting to use this. Totally love it and it lasts ages because you only need to use it once a week.

    Hope you get to tick these off your wishlist one by one!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love Jo malone !! I just love the scents, the packaging, the service, etc etc.. Too bad it is so expensive in Australia T.T
    the 100ml costs 90€ and the 30ml for 45€ here in Germany.. I get 10% ( sometimes 20% ) for Jo malone so it is even cheaper..
    Btw, have you tried the chanel vitalumiere aqua before? because I have tried some samples of it and I must say, it is very very similar with the bourjois healthy mix serum foundation.. So I suggest you get some samples first since it is quite expensive..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I do love my Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum so now that you've said that, maybe I can live without the Chanel ;)

      Delete
  18. Yes, you need the Jouer Matte Moisture Tint! Remind me what shades you are in MAC again and I can help with color. I have both Linen and Nude and Linen runs yellow but is light. I'd say good for NC20-NC25 and Nude is more NC30. I love it! I also have Amber Diamond and it's fantastic but I hardly ever reach for it so it was a bit too pricey...but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been colour-matched to MAC but if I had to guess I would say I'm more NC20-25 than NC30. I think we're quite similar shades since I recall you said you were Fiji in NARS Sheer Glow? Thanks for the tips though!

      Delete
  19. The Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is definitely my high-end favorite foundation. Like you, I contemplated on getting for probably 2 years and finally caved in and so glad I got it. Want to try the Jouer matte tint as well as I heard so much great reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so curious about the Jouer tint as well. The "matte" in the product name just makes me believe that it would be good at keeping oil at bay. I sampled the Chanel VLA and it found it to be nothing special. It had a beautiful finish and texture but it didn't last at all on my oily skin! Perhaps you would fare better with it since you don't have as oily skin as mine if I remember correctly. The REN mask is ok. I think it is a little too hyped up. I have used it a few times and I don't think it is anything super super special. Same with Amber Diamond. I have it and rarely reach for it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been wanting that foundation from Chanel too! I'll probably get it as soon as I finish my Bourjois foundations (which is a nice pretext to do a comparative review between them). Right now I'm targeting Estée Lauder's Double Wear Matte and Double Wear Light (and I'm waiting for the release of Double Wear Maximum Cover...)
    I've been intrigued by Suqqu brushes...but they are quite expensive for me, besides, I'm a Synthetic brush lover and I'm still trying to find a nice not very expensive and with nice quality brush set (I have some from Real Techniques, but I want/need a few more, specially to intercalate for when I do deep cleaning.
    And that bronzing cream...I would probably get his less-expensive brother from Bourjois first and only after working nicely with it, I would may give it a try.

    A really nice Wishlist! I probably should work on doing one for my birthday too!
    Kissu*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great choices here :) I've spotted a few things on your list that are also on mine. Those being the Clarins toner and of course the Origins moisturiser, I'm a huge fan of gel like textures for moisturisers, particularly for morning use.
    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Chanel Vitalumière Aqua foundation has been on my wish list for as long as I remember! I've just been trying to fork up the money... If you do buy it, please review! [I know you will regardless though] ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whaatt, I can't believe that suqqu brushes are that pricey! They must have the best quality in the world I bet.. I'm also planning to expland my brush collection as I recently became a make up artist (though I still think I need lots of training).
    I really want to try that joeur tint, heard only great stuff about it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really want to try Jouer's Matte Moisture Tint and I hope that the result will be as you described it to me because that sounds perfect to me. :) The sample that I tried of Chanel's Vitalumière Aqua was a dream, however the price tag is quite hefty. The coverage, however, did not disappoint. Finally, I have been really wanting to smell the Jo Malone perfumes because I am the type of girl who likes a nice light, summery type scent.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maybe consider the RMK equivalent of the Suqqu Cheek Brush? Amelia Liana said RMK and Suqqu are sister brands and it's essentially the same thing for much less. I did like Vitalumiere Aqua but it's too expensive for what it is. As is everything from CHANEL. Waiting for the Bourjois bronzing primer to hit our shores because people are actually preferring it to the CHANEL, gasp. I second the REN mask and Jouer Matte Moisture Tint motions- 'more coverage than tinted moisturiser, matte finish'- dream base by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the REN glycolactic renewal mask and although it is a little expensive I have never used a face mask like it, it makes my skin feel incredible afterwards! That dior highlighter looks lovely :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really want to try the Origin's moisturizer as well, here in the states it's only $26.50 for a 50 ml which doesn't seem that outrageous. But I still have other things to use up. I'm always on the hunt for good hydrating products! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always have the Soleil Tan de Chanel on my list too, it seems like such a nice consistency and with like a warming glow to the skin.

    Jordan | Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great list, I too recently made a list of 'high end' buys, a mix of make up and tools. However I really want to try more skin care and hair care this year. Totally need a make up diet! Dying to try a tinted moisturizer by LM or the skin tint from This Works...so much I'm dying to try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lots of interesting looking products on your wishlist, though I agree that you seem to show restraint on some products you just shouldn't ;P Amber Diamond is lovely, get your hands on it if it passes your way okay?

    I have a little sample scoop of the REN mask but I haven't tried it yet. Mecca Maxima/Cosmetica are so lovely at handing out samples, you should ask for one! I think for products like this they understand the need to test out first, as the price is pretty steep.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've always wanted a jo malone fragrance. I havent bought a full size perfume in years! I also really want to try out the soleil de tan as well, but I wonder if it will even show on my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm with you on all of these items except for Dior Amber Diamond. I want it when bloggers rave about it, but I hate it when I see it in the stores.

    As for the REN mask, I bought it twice because I loved it so much. I'll be buying it for the third time after I get a job and make some money... and it's the same price for us here too at $60. Never tried a REN product that I didn't love though.

    ReplyDelete
  34. i love this post! I have thoughts on like ... every one of these products lol. I love my jouer matte moisture tint and chanel soleil tan. Same goes for origins moisturizer! I don't get on when chanel foundations at all - they just make my skin texture look bad, and the ren mask was a bit harsh for me. I like jo malone fragrances, but there is something in many of their scents that makes me sneeze, lol, so it is not enough for me to buy them, though i did buy english pear and fressia and then recently sell it. I used to love dior amber diamond but now find the shimmer to be not subtle and the texture not very exciting at all compared to burberry and the like. I always wanted that suqqu cheek brush too but i think that will always be a dream :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit sad to hear that because I just made an order for Amber Diamond (though it'll probably take like a month to reach me, if it will) :( I have way too many foundations open at the moment, so I'll try to hold off on the Jouer until at least one is used up. I'm hoping to get the Chanel eventually ... though it's not a must-have considering I rarely use bronzer and a cream one seems a bit less convenient than a powder one. I have only used one Origins product before (the Drink Up Overnight mask) but I really love it - I'm sure I'd feel similarly about the moisturiser! :)

      Delete
  35. There are so many of my favourites in here! The Chanel foundation, Amber Diamond, the REN mask. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. For me personally, the Chanel Vita Lumiere Aqua looks incredible when i'm having a good skin day. That being said, a couple of times i wasn't having a good skin day, it pleasantly surprised me when i applied it when my hands instead of a brush. I'm a B20 too!
    I think that Amber Diamond is just too shimmery for me
    The REN mask is on my list too, but the price tag is heavy.

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...