Saturday, August 3, 2013

Partial to Pink

You may or may not know of my occasionally tortured relationship with pink lipsticks. I gravitate towards them as if it were programmed in my DNA, despite having a less than stellar experience with the multitude I've tried. There have been many times when I've been forced to conclude that "flattering pink" is an oxymoron. My weakness definitely lies with milky, pastel pinks and bright, blue-based pinks. I always marvel at how pretty they look in the bullet or swatched on my hand, convincing myself I could totally make them work if I applied them lightly, or layered them with other colours, or used the right foundation and accompanying makeup, only to take them home and concede they're simply horrid on the lips. The wrong pink can make me look clownish, washed out, green-tinged and sallow, or like oxygen has stopped circulating to my lips. I generally fare better with dusty medium pinks, berry tones and warm pinks with a touch of coral. Here are five pink lipsticks that are actually close to wearable on me.






l-r: Revlon Pink Rose, L'Oréal Shiny Grapefruit, Maybelline Juicy Bubblegum, Revlon Strawberry Shortcake, Clinique Woppin' Watermelon

Revlon Beyond Natural Protective Liptint SPF 15 in Pink Rose (000)
I've always kept this in whatever makeup bag I'm toting around, because it's the perfect go-to pink. A bright coral pink that's shimmery but not at all frosty, it's very comfortable and moisturising on the lips. It's quite pigmented for a so-called "tint" — one layer gives a juicy pop of colour to the lips, but it can also be built up to a full on, warm rose pink (with a dash of orangey red) lipstick. Bonus points: smells of berry candy.

L'Oréal NutriShine by Colour Riche in Shiny Grapefruit (FR102)
I was surprised to see how this swatched nearly identically to Pink Rose. Shiny Grapefruit is basically a slightly darker version of Pink Rose, with more of a 'wet' lip gloss look and dazzling silver/white microshimmer. It has a very hydrating, glossy texture that's not thick and creamy, waxy, or thin and greasy in any way.

Maybelline ColorSensational The Shine Lip Colour in Juicy Bubblegum (140)
When I first bought this, I really wasn't all that enthused. It just didn't stand out to me in the sea of pinks that I had and similarly felt underwhelmed by. I think it was Emma's love for it that made me reevaluate Juicy Bubblegum, and I've done a complete 180 now. I freakin' love this lipstick. This dusty mauve pink smells deliciously sweet and fruity, is very moisturising, glossy and forgiving on the lips, and is a total breeze to wear. Yes, it does have a slight purplish edge against my skin tone, but it's a non-issue as the lipstick is relatively understated and sheer, and the overall colour doesn't pull too cool or cartoonish on me.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Strawberry Shortcake (080)
One of my absolute favourites from the Lip Butter range, Strawberry Shortcake is about the most blue-based pink I can get away with. I resisted this shade when I first went positively bonkers over the launch of the Lip Butters in Australia, but it was inevitable I would crack in the end. Strawberry Shortcake encapsulates what I like about pinks (in theory): fun, playful, girly, flirty, youthful. I've also heard it's very close to NARS Roman Holiday — I immediately thought of Strawberry Shortcake when I saw this swatch of Roman Holiday from Amy's pure eye candy Instagram. The Lip Butters have a thicker, stickier texture compared with the other pinks I've featured here, so they do feel a bit heavier on the lips. There is a dash of silver shimmer running through the colour, but I don't find it noticeable until it's taken off.

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturising Lip Colour Balm in Woppin' Watermelon (06)
A subtle, natural rosy pink that looks effortless, feminine and pretty. While pigmentation is on the sheer side, like almost anything, it can be layered for greater intensity. Ideal to pop into the handbag for when you want a fuss-free, modest tint to your lips. Foolproof and exceptionally easy to wear, this Chubby Stick sinks into the lips without emphasising lip lines or leaving a stain.

42 comments:

  1. OOO you may have just convinced me that I need Strawberry Shortcake in my life... I've avoided it like the plague because, like you, find that blue toned/milky baby pinks make me look a hot mess; I'm glad to see that the actual lip butter is a bit nicer looking than the tube color (which is what put me off)!! Also, Pink Rose and Shiny Grapefruit look perfect... like, REALLY perfect. I haven't heard of them in the states but I'll have to peruse Target's makeup isles to see if I can find them :)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh your pinks are sooo pretty *_*
    Like I said on my blog post, this summer I've been moving around Juicy Melons from Too Faced and Sunny Seoul from Mac <3
    But I'll try to get my hands on more pinks!
    Kissu*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colours, I love strawberry shortcake ! Shiney grapefruit is gorgeous too. Love this post !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we're the opposite! I love muted pinks, but I feel like I look better with lighter/milky pink shades! Strawberry Shortcake is beautiful - shockingly, I've never tried Revlon Lip Butter! :o

    xo runbarbierun.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybelline Juicy Bubblegum looks so nice! And I had a sample of Revlons strawberry shortcake but I really need to go buy it. I have had issues with pink lip colors as well, so I always gravitate towards berry or red!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I would love to have them all!:)NIKA B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pink lipsticks. My favourite will always be MAC Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this is totally right up my alley. I looooove pink as well esp dusty pink, rosewood, and berry shades and blue toned and barbie pink will make my complexion suffer. lol
    Revlon pink rose and L'oreal shiny grapefruit look so pretty ! I'll check them out :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I love all of these! I have this Clinque chubby stick :)

    Kimberley x

    www.kimberleysbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey hey so in love with your blog, I love love makeup, you have one new follower!!
    First time visiting your lovely space and I'm already "addicted" girl your layout is amazing!! Keep going with this amazing job!! :)

    With love, Bárbara
    www.preppylemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This shade of the Clinique Chubby Stick looks lovely! I'm still having a hard time choosing a shade because they're all so fun.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Juicy Bubblegum! It's one of my faves.

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Shiny Grapefruit! It feels amazing on the lips! I kind of stay from the lighter blue pinks, they're a bit scary haha.
    xx Kat
    http://katnesslifeandloves.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you just summarised my life story... I absolutely love the idea of pastel lips, but my warm skin tone makes them look ridiculous on me! That being said, I really think I need to add Strawberry Shortcake to my collection now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha wow you're right! funny how i just talked about pinks unflattering on my skintone in my post and then you have one dedicated all to this problem. I have Revlon's Strawberry Shortcake too and it's one of my favourite pinks as well because I can pull it off surprisingly! :D Clinique's Wooping Watermelon looks so pretty! I like how you can build up on the intensity and that it's fuss free. Revlon's Pink Rose and L'oreal's Shiny Grapefruit also looks like colours that are right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A profoundly appealing post!
    Great selection of pink lipsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They all look great, would love to try the L'Oreal one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally like the revlon shade! I don't like my lippies to have a purple tint if they're pink, I rather it be a red or orangey tint!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodness! These shades are so perfect! I used to be a darker lipstick lover, until I noticed it kind of dulled me and make me look older. I think that goes for most people. Pinks and nudes really helps bring out the brightness of the face and I think makes you look more fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. that maybelline one is gorgeous!

    http://xoxoseana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I just drafted a current favorite pink lipsticks to go up next week. I know, n I find it difficult to find flattering pinks for me too. Its so easy to find bold oranges, coral and red, but pink not that easy for me.

    I also lean towards warm pinks and dusty pinks. I loved pink rose and shiny grapefruit from all of these. I had rose guava from the Loreal Range and loved it ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a huge weakness with pink lipsticks too, I tend to gravitate to the softer warm tones like MAC angel or YSL Rouge Volupte #01. I also really love Strawberry shortcake, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite shade of lipsticks are the pinky nudes. :) I've been really wanting to try something like a Clinique Chubby Stick.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Revlon Strawberry Shortcake is one of my favorites. Have you tried Sorbet? It's one of the new summer colors, it's like a darker-ish pink that's still bright. I bet you would like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope :( They haven't released the new colours here, boo!

      Delete
  25. I definitely gravitate towards corally colours which can look a bit odd with my cool-toned skin. In saying that, I really like the L'oreal Shiny Grapefruit!

    Dolce Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  26. Woppin' watermelon looks gorgeous and the name is super cute too! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I avoid these pinks like mad because they bring out the yellow in my face, but they're all so cute and peppy, I can see the appeal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have the same problem as you; pinks just don't work on me. I have since learned to steer quite clear of pinks, especially lavender pinks and Barbie doll pinks. The only pink I can work like a charm, is hot pink and neon pink. Both of which, are too bright for my liking even though they look amazing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. really great colours! I love ones that have a bit of a neon look to them :) <3 <3

    http://stylingbyjong.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ouuu, I want Shiny Grapefruit! I, also, look horrid with blue-toned pinks so it can be tricky, but your picks look great! Really want to go out and pick up that Loreal one... ;)

    http://jemaroons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have the same issue with blue-based pinks! I get swept up in how pretty they look, but when I buy one and then slap it on my lips, I always look like shit.

    I literally just took a photo of your swatch pic so I can remember to pick up Juicy Bubblegum and Strawberry Shortcake when there's another big sale on. COME ON 50% OFF ALL COSMETICS AT PRICELINE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know what you mean! (Maybelline Vivids in Pink Pop *coughcough*)

      I totally thought how I wished they'd do another massive sale on cosmetics soon - I want that newly released Bourjois lip crayon :p

      Delete
  32. I have Strawberry Shortcake and I love it!! I really want to try Pink Rose or Shiny Grapefruit. I'm really pale so I can actually get away with the 'lost circulation' lips sometimes, haha. Love the swatches, I sort of want them all now, haha!

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the colour of Strawberry Shortcake! I got the same case with pink, I find myself purchasing tons of colours that look really good in the pan but then they just look not-so-great on me :'(

    isabela – fusels.com x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I'm a blogger from the UK and I'm very happy I found your blog :)
    Shiny Grapefruit looks particularly lovely.
    My blog link if you fancy a read:

    http://nicolastewartgalton.blogspot.co.uk

    Nicola xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd have to say Pink Rose, Shiny Grapefruit, and Woppin' Watermelon would be my favorites from your picks! For me, pale pinks just do not work, so I go for more vibrant or deeper pinks like the ones you have hear. Great post as always! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I now NEED Pink Grapefruit in my life....

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pink Rose is stunning, I have never even seen those Revlon balms here in the UK! I love Strawberry Shortcake too, such a lovely colour :)
    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  38. Strawberry Shortcake has just been added to my wishlist! I've always thought it might be too light for me.. Maybe not!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know what you mean about pinks. I have very few pink lipsticks and the ones i have are usually dusty pinks that are MLBB. I do love Juicy Bubblegum but half the time if i go for a pink, i'm too lazy to reapply throughout the day.

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...