Saturday, August 10, 2013

So Many Regrets, So Little Time

It's been nearly a year since my take on a Products I Regret Buying post, so I thought another instalment was well overdue. More blatantly negative than the the mixed sentiments towards the Products I'm on the Fence About, I wouldn't mind giving away or binning any of the selected items this instant. They're disappointing in performance, disgusting to use, easily disposable, downright ugly and smell bad. I'm at a stage where I have to be exceedingly selective when it comes any makeup purchases, because whatever I'm eyeing, I probably already have four things exactly like it at home. That's what makes makeup regrets more acute — in a world of excess, these unloved additions serve as unpleasant reminders of how overindulgence can backfire.



CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast in Beige Blaze
I bought this on the recommendation of Zoë Foster, and I don't get it. I knew things were wrong from the moment I opened it up and it smelled funky. This isn't a resoundingly bad product, I just wish I hadn't bought it. I had such high hopes seeing that Zoë herself totes it around in her makeup bag, and after a review I read that compared it favourably with Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin and Eden. But it just doesn't do anything for me. As an eye primer, I have better alternatives (NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base), as a cream eyeshadow it barely shows up on my lids, as a base for gold/yellow powder eyeshadows, I can use Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bold Gold or just an ordinary primer. Waste of money and space.


Face of Australia Lip Quench SPF30+ in Pink Champagne
This light, blue-based pink looks horrid on me. Every time I get it wrong with a pink lipstick, I can't help but berate myself. I've had enough experience by now to realise what colours I should stay away from, but sometimes logic simply doesn't enter the equation. What distinguishes this particular lipstick from my other pink lipstick failures is the unappealing smell and texture. Like all of the Face of Australia Lip Quench lipsticks (blame it on the SPF or something), it stinks. I can't put my finger on the scent, but it's like melted plastic covered by a strong, synthetic, floral perfume. It's so soft and creamy that not only has it broken off at the base, but you can't apply it straight from the bullet, otherwise the product just sits on top of your lips and looks patchy and uneven. You have to really rub it in with your finger, at which point it loses all vibrancy as a pink and just melds with the natural tone of my lips, making it look even duller and more purple.


Essence Stay All Day Long Lasting Eyeshadow in Coppy Right
I gave Glammy Goes To... to a friend because I simply didn't get on with the colour, but I hoped that Coppy Right would fare better. It doesn't. This is so dry, patchy, lumpy, hard to blend and frosty to the point of looking scaly on my lids. The shade, while an improvement on Glammy Goes To..., is still too cool-toned for me and more or less overtaken by the silvery/white shimmer. There's no reason to have this sitting around when there exists the infinitely superior Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze.


Top to bottom: Essence Coppy Right, CoverGirl Beige Blaze, Face of Australia Pink Champagne



Revlon PhotoReady Sculpting Blush Palette in Pink Rose
Remember when Sunday Life Magazine pictured Revlon PhotoReady Sculpting Blush Palette among "three of the best blushing beauties", then lost all credibility? I'll let the swatches speak for themselves (each was 3 swipes, by the way). The only passable part of this palette is the highlighter, which is still average at best. Everything is packed with shimmer, with the faintest pigmentation and zero lasting power. It's honestly hard to believe an otherwise solid, occasionally brilliant brand like Revlon released such an emphatic dud.




Daiso False Eyelashes No. 130
When Daiso first rolled into town and I saw rows upon rows of fake eyelashes for a mere $2.80 per pack, I admit I went a little overboard and bought about five pairs. My enthusiasm came to a screeching halt when I actually tried these on. These lashes are perfect ... for that costume drag queen look. They're extremely unnatural and cartoonish, hard to manoeuver, and uncomfortably stiff and spiky. Each of the fake lashes are quite spaced out on the band and flare out in a manner that no human lashes would ever. Cheap and nasty.


Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Plums the Word & Café Au Lait
I was such a fan of the Complete Salon Manicure polishes I'd bought (Jaded and Commander in Chic), that when Priceline had a buy one, get one free on this range, I immediately set out and bought two more. Sadly, I can't get on board with either of the new shades I purchased. I was trying to eliminate one of them for the sake of not repeating myself, but they're equally grotesque. Café Au Lait is one of the most unflattering neutrals I've ever come across. It's like an opaque skin colour that adds nothing to my nails. I might as well skip polish altogether. It's not dark enough to be called a beige, or light enough to be a sheer or pale nude. It's not so much that it's dull (I could do with a few more conservative, work-appropriate shades), it's just that it's plain ugly. Plums the Word looked like it could be a promising, moody, autumnal pick, but it's the most bizarre, yucky mix of red, brown and purple. It's just so unattractive, it pains me. Both colour choices were complete fails, which is an utter shame because I love the smooth, high shine formula.

Ulta3 New Years Eve
I put New Years Eve, but it's really every single polish from the 2012 glitter collection because they all share the same MASSIVE problem. This polish is simply offensive to me. I can feel it destroying my nasal passages, nails and lungs as I use it. It smells noxious. Like a combination of fresh paint and the stinkiest nail polish remover out there, but sharper, more pungent, more poisonous. The formula is terrible as well — thick, gloopy, impossible to dry. As pretty as these glitters are, the smell and formula make them unfit for sale.

l-r: Café Au Lait, Plums the Word

55 comments:

  1. Aww, so much regret in one post. Those Essence Stay All Day shadows... eugh I can't believe I actually recommended it. Noob move, that one. The MaxFactor versions of the CoverGirl shadow base thing were discounted but I would rather invest in a good eye primer than five cheapie ones. How does the NARS hold up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good but it's very dry, like not drying on the lid, but it dries up the shadow and kind of makes it really CLING to the lid (to the extent you're tugging on it if you want to smear it off or anything like that). But it definitely works really well if combined with the right kind of shadow!

      Delete
  2. That's such a shame about the Revlon palette, it looks like it would be so lovely and super handy with three products in one palette! Revlon are usually SO good as well!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a shame! The Revlon palette looks SO bad, especially considering how much they charge here in Aus! I also found the Essence Stay All Day shadows to be lumpy!? Although they look ok on me so I smooth them out! Also I think the nail polishes actually look pretty there! Guess it's just up to personal taste :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! The Revlon swatches are truly disappointing. I agree about the essence cream eyeshadow! So hard to apply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I love your description of the Daiso lashes. I always heard good things about them too but lucky I've never bought a pair! Definitely won't be now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awh, such a shame about the Revlon blush palette! In the pan they look lovely but definitely too shimmery for me too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with the Essence cream shadow...most disappointing product ever. As for the Revlon swatches - my gosh, they look dreadful. A surprising product from Revlon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading this, I find it so good to read what products people don't get on with. I've never tried those Sally Hansen polishes before, those colours are a bit dodgy to say the least but the formula certainly sounds nice :)
    Amy x
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I totally get you about the Revlon face trio! The highlighter is the only thing that's not terrible.. and yet it's still just okay. Such a shame.

    Isabela x | fusels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree with you on the Daiso lashes. They're just as bad as the $1 lashes on ebay! As for the FoA Lippies in general - I've never been a fan so I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually like Sally Hansen's nail polish! I have Café au lait as well and I like it, specially for the day where I want nail polish, but I don't want any crazy color. It's also nice as a base for gradient effect :3
    I had an essence cream eyeshadow and I hate it. I prefer the ones from Catrice! Their formula is waaaay better than the one from Essece.
    About that kit from revlon, for some reason I never liked it...I prefer the one from Sleek (the face form), it's way pigmented and way cheaper (at least here, where Revlon products cost twice the price of other countries..)
    For eye primer, I have really oily leads, so the one from Urban Decay does nothing to me...but I've been reading really nice reviews about Lime Crime's primmer and about the balm's primer.
    Please Take Care,
    Kissu*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like reading negative reviews because nobody ever writes them. I do have to say though, those nail polishes look wicked on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see posts like these - it seems people will rave about any product simply because one or two other bloggers love it! I'll know to stay clear of these xx

    Lucy Cole | A UK Fashion, Style and Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for letting us know about these not-so-good products ! I have herd several people say the Revlon PhotoReady Sculpting Blush Palette is notso good ! Hate a disappointing product !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Revlon blush looks so cheap and disgusting! Sad because Revlon are by far my favorite drugstore brand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post certainly reminds me of how many regretting products that I had. Just recently I clean up a lot of them, things that I haven't been touching for two-three months,I finally throw it away. There's really no reason to keep it but I totally agree with what you said sometimes overindulgence can backfire.

    some sweet little dreams
    ranrandreamhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just order lashes online for cheap! I bought some $3 cheapo asian lashes at the night market and they made my eyes all red, I was so scared I was going to get pink eye!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, maybe they suck, but your pictures make them all look incredibly appealing. I think the trashy lashes should be reserved for Halloween, so don't toss them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with you about the essence cream eye shadows. I used to like them but now I don't understand why I ever liked them -.- they tug and crease on my lids. Maybelline color tattoos are simply wayyyy better.

    thanks for the review about the 2 sally hansen polishes! I had my eyes on Plums The World, but now I better save my money !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some neutrals look so awful on my nails too I know what you mean...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these posts not because I'm a negative person but because I like hearing the truth about products that bloggers and YouTubers use.
    I'm shocked to see that a Revlon product made it into this post but after looking at the photo, I can totally understand why.
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, I love how honest you are :)
    It's a shame the Sally Hansen colours were both duds! I quite like the formula of these polishes, so good to know which shades to steer clear of!

    www.beautibop.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard that about the Revlon palette, which makes me sad as they make such awesome other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally agree with you on the Revlon palette! I did it in a haul and I really don't like it. It has no pigmentation!

    xx- missmacbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I completely agree with those cream shadows and the lip quenches smell is HORRIBLE!!!


    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
  26. I nearly cried when I saw the Revlon swatches... uuuuuck!!! Honestly though, I think those Sally Hansen polishes look gorgeous on you haha. So sad you don't share the same sentiments; you can always send them my way if you want hehe ;) I love it when people other than myself do negative reviews like this... thanks for not making me feel so alone in the beauty blogging world!! <3

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah I am so pleased to see that you didn't like the Sally Hansen polishes in this formula. I bought around 7 shades online as they were on offer, and I can't get any of them to apply nicely. They're just gloopy and awful to be honest. Great post xx

    Gemma | ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ewww that ultra3 nail polish sounds disgusting. I actually like the Covergirl shadow blasts, I like the sheerness of it since I don't really put on eyeshadow. And that Essence is nice too too bad you don't like it. Have you tried the Sun Club bronzer? I think that's what it's called.

    xx,
    FMWL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't! I don't have any bronzers from Essence. I do love some of their other products - the eye souffle in Pas Des Copper especially!

      Delete
  29. Seriously, the amount of times Sunday Life offers generic beauty advice and mediocre products makes me wonder if they've bothered to actually do research on the area!

    The palette for Revlon looks horrible to be honest and it's really low in pigmentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they fired the old beauty editor - at least last week there was someone different LOL.

      Delete
  30. This was a delight to read! I have the Revlon Photoready Blsh palette too- it is atrocious. No pigmentation whatsoever and I'm still finding it amazing how you managed to swatch the shades! I'm so so glad I got mine for free :) I hate the noxious smell of terrible nail polish, which is such a shame because Ulta3 does get it right for other polishes. I actually don't mind the shade of Cafe Au Lait...

    ReplyDelete
  31. lol @ that Revlon fail. There is no way that should've made any list, aside from a fail one.

    I just went and smelled new year's eve and shiiit. You're right - it fucking stinks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. We all know that some people will like some products and some people will hate same thing. But yeah, I'm pretty much shocked about these products, I've never tried them before even thought I would like to. Thank you for this review, now I will know what to buy and on what I should not even look at!
    http://happinessvictim.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love those comments! So important to give realistic reviews on products.xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Revlon Photoready blushes look absolutely horrible, I can't believe a magazine would say good things about that, never mind in the top 3!!

    Alicekatex.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Can't believe the pigmentation of that Revlon blush palette! That is abysmal! I love the Sally Hansen Complete Manicure range too, but I can see why you were disappointed by those colours, it's quite hard to find the perfect nude nail polish!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think these posts are so important, so many products out there its so easy to go wrong! I hate buying a product and finding I don't like it for some reason because it always seems like a waste of money which is never good!!

    Katie xx | Katies World

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is the second time this week I've heard negative things about that Revlon palette.

    I have too many regretful purchases too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was really close to getting the Essence Creme Shadow cause I heard so much good things about other colours and I was gonna cave in to buying Coppy Right just cause all the other shades ran out. Glad I saw this first! I giggled when you talked about the Daiso Lashes ahaha. I find that their lashes are a hit or miss for me. My all time favourite would be the cross-hair lashes (#9) and I buy them in the 5 pair pack cause I love how natural they are. For the Sally Hansen polishes maybe you can try layering glitter or something else over top/nail art? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some other styles and there's one that isn't too atrocious ... but it doesn't really produce much of an effect either so it's hardly worth the effort of applying and removing.

      I might try the Sally Hansen nude one for some kind of nail art ... I don't know :p I honestly think they're both super ugly lol. Like whatever is in the picture, it's 3x uglier in real life.

      Delete
  39. I actually really like the look of that plum Sally Hansen lol! That Revlon palette is such a joke, why are they so crappy with blushes but so good with so many other things?

    ReplyDelete
  40. amazing colors!
    Especially love those lashes :)
    <3

    x
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Scaly flaky cream shadows are horrible! I'm so sorry so many of these didn't work for you! I too have tried those lashes from diaso and they just don't look flattering at all!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've had my fare share of bad lashes, sometimes the band is too stiff to even apply, other times the lashes only look good for halloween... I hear ya sister! Too bad that Revlon thingy is so awful, it could have been a dupe for the UD palette : /

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am starting to become the same way and try to be selective with my beauty buys. I have a million taupe eyeshadows but always seem to want one more...I'm still working on that addiction ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sorry to hear about your awful experience with these products :/ I actually didn't think the 2 Sally Hansen polishes were that awful, but I suppose this is all subjective :)

    xoxo,
    Jenny @ Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  45. My sister really loves that Essence eyeshadow, I found it quite hard too.

    Greetings from Shirayuki's Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love reading these kinda posts cause it shows how different we all are :) I ADORE that Sally Hansen Plums the Word polish and I need it in my life :D
    I have started to realize that I really need to STOP buying makeup for a while.. it doesn´t matter what kind of item it is... I always have something that is just like it :)
    hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. That Revlon palette looks downright awful.
    I don't think Plums the word looks that bad on you! In fact i think it's quite a nice winter color :3

    à la foliee

    ReplyDelete
  48. Omg those Covergirl Shadow Blasts things really are the worst! & the first paragraph really made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight.. lollll I have a ton of products that I hate lying around too. I don't even know why I keep them, I just stare at them with disgust in my free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm so glad you can relate and that I provided a bit of humour :p We should really go through a periodic culling of all hated products!

      Delete
  49. I have two of those terrible Face of Australia lip quench lipsticks and I emphatically agree, they are HORRIBLE! The smell, the weird texture, plus they slide al over the place. Definitely one of my worst purchases. Rookie error haha. I have no idea why I bought them. They are easily the worst lip product, if not all time product, I've ever purchased.

    Great post, I really like reading about the duds so we know what to stay away from.

    www.rosydisposition.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad you feel the same! It's a shame because some of the colours are really on-trend. I made the same 'rookie error' 3 times over on 3 different occasions - don't think that can be beaten! :p

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...