Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pencilling in Kiko

When I was in Milan, I made sure I popped into a KIKO store to discover more about a brand I've been hearing a lot about lately but haven't been exposed to before. I don't know much about KIKO except that it's an Italian brand available in Europe that offers affordable cosmetics with a diverse colour and product range. When I stepped into the shop, the sheer choice and variety on display was a little daunting, but I gradually worked my way through each section and had a full blown swatchathon on my hand/arm until there was barely any space left. In the end, I bought three things: an Infinity High Pigmented Eyeshadow in 213 (a solid but unremarkable warm chocolate brown matte shade), a Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06 and a Glamorous Eye Pencil in 401.




l-r: KIKO 06, Maybelline Bad to the BronzeL'Oréal Bronzed Taupe

One thing I was very keen to check out in person were the Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadows that Amelia from Liana Beauty featured in her July Favourites video. Seeing them in action basically had me sold there and then, but once I had swatched the two shades she demonstrated on her lid side by side, I found that 06 was much better in texture and pigmentation than 04, the dark brown shade (which was surprisingly quite patchy and overly glittery). These stick eyeshadows are merely an evolution in the already time/effort-saving innovation of cream eyeshadow. Forget brushes and fallout and blending. You need only remove the cap, twist the base up a little bit, and draw the colour on. I blend the edges softly with my pinky, but pretty much that's it. It's brilliant for mornings when I can't be bothered with much else, i.e. most. The colour is very similar to Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, but perhaps a tinge more olive gold on the lid compared with Bad to the Bronze which is lighter and more of a frosty brown. I don't find the wear time as impressive as the Maybelline Color Tattoos as by the end of the day I experience a little fading around the edges, but overall it still holds up for at least 8-9 hours.




l-r: KIKO 401, Rimmel Bronze, Australis Bombastic Bronze

I kind of wish they made an eyeshadow stick in the colour of the Glamorous Eye Pencil in 401 that I bought. The moment I swatched it, I knew I had to get it, not least because it was only €4.20 (or $6). The pencil isn't the most emollient, 'glide-on' smooth that I've ever encountered, but it comes close enough. It's gorgeously pigmented with a rich metallic lustre, but thankfully the colour isn't just a carbon copy of the other bronze pencils I have. It's noticeably lighter and more copper (orange) than the darker browns of Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal eyeliner in Bronze or Australis 10 Hour Waterproof Eye Pencil in Bombastic Bronze. I've been enjoying using this on my lower lash line without worrying about whether the colour might be too dark for the daytime. It still provides definition but in a way that's not at all harsh or obvious. No more softening and toning down my eyeliner if I've accidentally put too much or drawn too thick of a line. The Glamorous Eye Pencil just works effortlessly.


Overall, I'm pleased with what I picked out, though from my experience in the store, KIKO products are a bit hit and miss when it comes to quality and performance (for one, some shades of the cheaper powder/baked eyeshadows were seriously underwhelming, and I wasn't too thrilled with their blush selection). Also, after a certain point, a few items start to get quite pricey for a relatively inexpensive brand (a bronzer was €14.90 or $22, an eyeshadow palette €16.90 or $25 — Essence this ain't). It's really a matter of trying out everything for yourself and selecting what seems promising. I'm not sure if KIKO has any plans to open stores beyond Europe, but I had fun venturing into one for the first time and getting a small taste of the brand.

23 comments:

  1. This seems like it could be a dupe for the urban decay liners, its so gorgeous ! And for a great price !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those colors are so right up your alley! :)
    i remember falling in love with their LE eyeshadow quads a couple autumns ago. i think this brand is comparable to inglot or sleek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiko is lovely, you should try especially their nailpolishes, they're one of the best I've tried, quality/price wise!
    And I need to try these liners :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow they're like the exact same color as the maybelline one. pretty!!!

    jesselynnn.blogspot.com //FANCYTHEE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm sounds interesting! I've only just started hearing about this brand.. would love to check them out. I guess for the price, it's not too bad that it's hit and miss! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went to KIKO today. I like their polishes fine for how affordable they are, but I agree that a lot of the products are hit or miss. I got a Kiss balm but realized when I got home it has mineral oil in it (boo). I may have to go back and scoop up the two things you got though- they look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Those are all gorgeous shades, I've barely heard of Kiko before. Sounds like an interesting brand to exlpore, but I would hate the 'hit or miss' part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love all the bronzey colors you chose, I always gravitate towards them the most! Great to read a little about this brand, as I haven't heard of them yet!

    Jenna ♥ ♥
    Northern Beauty 85

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks very buttery and smooth. Beautiful color. I am loving bronze-taupe color for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so pigmented. I really want here in Pakistan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiko and I have a very hit & miss relationship. Specially Miss...
    Their lipsticks are amazing! But I'm a huge fan of their regular eyeshadows and blushes.

    But the ones you got look amazing! I would check them out :3
    Please take care, have a nice day!*

    beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The eyeshadow stick looks great and I like how easy and quick it is to use. I wish this brand was offered in more places especially when their products are so affordable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Havent try Kiko and now you did put in the mood, those shades are just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this brand before, but those eyeshadow sticks look great! You can never have too many shades of bronze, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely neutral products! I've been wanting to try the LM Caviar sticks which are basically the same things as the KIKO Stick Eyeshadow- the one in Amethyst is so pretty but at $39 a pop they're not cheap. KIKO sounds nice. I wouldn't mind paying more for a better quality bronzer but if the more expensive product line is the same quality that's just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both lovely shades! i haven't tried anything from the brand before. but they are on my radar now!

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa Kiko definitely is impressive although I have never paid much heed to the massive store they have in Germany. I definitely should buy me some stuff now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous picks! No KIKO to be had here. I do like the look of that L'Oreal bronze shade though, hmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow!!! the Glamorous Eye Pencil in 401 is gorgeous, I'm in love! need to ask my sister, which lives in Italy, to get me one.
    I quite like Kiko, I agree: some products are really good, some a bit less... but it's so cheap that I don't really mind if I get disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW. Amazing pigmentation and glittery sparkle! Although I haven't heard of KiKO before and never seen it in Australia (or it might be just me?)
    Although it does go straight to the top of my wish list. haha
    thanks for the post!

    http://pebblepenn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the brand has opened up in Australia - who knows if it's in their future plans though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...