Saturday, November 9, 2013

No Longer Evading Chanel

A Chanel lipstick is certainly up there in terms of makeup wants, but still something I can live without. One of these babies in Australia is $50, and at that price I'd rather buy a YSL Rouge Volupté Shine. It was only when I found myself at Changi Airport on the way to Milan that I noticed the Chanel lipsticks were much cheaper than Australian retail ... and suddenly the prospect of owning one didn't seem so distant. I still wanted to get my hands on a YSL lipstick, but the sheer enormity of the shade selection was daunting, so I started swatching Chanel instead. I wasn't at all familiar with any standout/popular shades, except Rouge Coco Shine in Boy, and perhaps the Rouge Coco lipsticks in Mademoiselle and Rouge Noir. The harsh artificial lighting in the duty-free store also made it exceptionally difficult to gauge colour accuracy, not aided by the fact my lips were already a deep raspberry stain from having tried on and taken off about 15 lipsticks beforehand.









After much deliberation (with a little help from this post), I settled for Évasion (48). It came down to that or Chance. Now, my battle with cool-toned light pinks is well-documented, so I wasn't going to fall into that trap again. I tried Boy but I wasn't blown away ... it looked kind of dull and unremarkable on my lips — a somewhat frosty, slightly mauve, brownish rose. That could just be because my lips weren't a blank canvas to start with, so the colour was distorted. In any event, Évasion seemed to be the safest, least problematic pick.

Évasion is a sheer, peachy nude that leans relatively pink on my lips. It's quite light but not so much that it washes out the complexion, though any paler and I'd find it difficult to pull off as an everyday lipstick. I find the formula of the Rouge Coco Shines to be similar to the MAC Lustre finish, particularly Patisserie. It's a little bit thin and slippery, but feels comfortable and moisturising on the lips, very lightweight and softly glossy. On initial application, there's a slight tendency to sink into lip lines, but nothing that lightly pressing the lips together and/or dabbing over the lipstick with your finger can't fix. The packaging reminds me of a more luxurious, elegant Maybelline Color Sensational Color Whisper lipstick. Same kind of streamlined, slimmer exterior with a long, cylindrical tube. Of course, the black and gold and interlocking 'C's don't hurt.

l-r: Face of Australia Lychee Crush, Revlon Charm, Revlon Creamsicle, Revlon Soft Nude, Chanel Évasion, MAC Patisserie

Face of Australia Lip Quench Moisturising Lipstick in Lychee Crush is the closest in colour, but more opaque, not as soft and glossy. I'm also not a fan of the greasy, overly creamy formula and extremely unpleasant smell. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Charm is a lighter pastel peach. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Creamsicle looks identical to Charm, though Charm does tend to stain coral while Creamsicle is pale through and through. Revlon ColorBurst lipstick in Soft Nude is darker, not as sheer, more peachy brown. MAC Patisserie is darker, more caramel and rosy on the lips in comparison, though still fairly nude and pink.

Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Évasion is probably the most I've ever spent on a single lip product, but like everything cosmetics-wise from the brand, I found the packaging irresistible (and the product inside not half bad). There's something of a totally superficial thrill in being able to throw a Chanel lipstick in the evening handbag, or have it on prominent display in a lipstick stand on your vanity. The colour isn't absolutely ideal given it's on the light side and leans a little nude, but it's easy to wear, suitable for both day and night, and effortlessly pretty in an understated way.

40 comments:

  1. You're not really helping my trying to resist one of these lipsticks, like you I think the packaging is divine! Loving the look of this colour too, beautifully wearable <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is so beautiful! Such a gorgeous everyday shade. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous on you and the quality is probably unreal ! Love it, way to go in taking the plunge !

    Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy to see Chanel on your lips...classy packaging... but it is very sheer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks gorgeous, thanks for your review! :) I love the packaging and the colour is beautiful xx

    Helen @
    http://helensfashionblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have yet to purchase anything quite as luxe as Chanel but d*mn girl you sure don't help my urges haha. This looks beautiful and I'm glad you got it at a cheaper price than normal ($50 is Australia??????? Why are they so mean to you…)!!

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such a pretty colour!!
    I have to admit that, the only reason I won't track it down is because I'm thinking about getting MAC's Patisserie, otherwise, I would add it to my Christmas wishlist (right next to the new Naked3). It's such a pretty colour *-*
    Please take care, have a nice day!*

    beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chanel packaging is really hard to resist! I wish their quality was just as good as their packaging..
    Evasion looks very peach on the swatch but looks more nude on your lips :-)
    I don't have any chanel lipstick, have never tried one either. But I had one chanel lip gloss long long time ago when I was in high school and I remember I liked it very much ( maybe also because I had only 2 lip glosses at that time. :p ) .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been interested in Chanel (as a whole) before. I tried an eyeliner once and wasn't impressed.. but the lipstick looks nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely shade. I have pigmented lips and wish I could pull off sheerer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gradually scrolling down the page guessing at the shade thinking 'well it's going to be Boy or Evasion' lol. It's so pretty! Your photos show it to be a true peachy nude but others I've seen lean more coral pink. I think they cost $36 in Brisbane duty free, which isn't a massive saving but comparable to the US price. I'm not completely happy with any of the Rouge Coco Shine shades- which is kindof a blessing, really. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $36 isn't bad - mine was basically that price converted to AUD from Changi. I think the line has some really nice colours but nothing super unique. I did try on a bunch but it was just so hard to tell the true colour under the lighting conditions and with already very stained lips LOL. Plus all lipsticks look bad when your bare face reflects the fact you've just been flying for 16 hours :p

      Delete
    2. I know that feel! Tacky, sweaty and in dire need of a shower and nap. I'm still eyeing the YSL Rouge Volupte Shine in 09 - hopefully I'll spot it at DF this time!

      Delete
  13. Mmmm so luxe! I wish it would be a little more opaque. Luckily, I haven't had the urge to buy Chanel... yet, although their perfumes have caught my eye!
    xxx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is surprisingly pinker on your lips! quite lovely.
    i have this in Romance but i think my opinion is about the same as yours. i love the color and all the overall aspects of it but i'm not "in love", if that makes sense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read your review of Romance and the colour is lovely on you :) But I understand what you mean by the fact the colour isn't anything particularly special. You could probably achieve a similar effect from something not as high end. But still, a Chanel lipstick is always nice to have ;)

      Delete
  15. this is such a popular colour and it always sells out

    tzeyien89.blogspot.co.uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful choice! <3

    xo runbarbierun.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's could be a good thing that this product was a safe bet and is a little sheer. It's versatility gives you the most bang for your buck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is a gorgeous shade! I don't own any Chanel lipsticks but I feel like my collection deserves one haha xx

    www.missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ouuu dreamy Chanel lipstick. :3 Looks absolutely gorgeous! PS. Your lipstick collection is EXTENSIVE but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. :P

    http://jemaroons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been lemming for Coco Shine but same not sure which one to buy, This looks like a beautiful shade, I own two Chanel lipsticks so far Chanel rouge allure in silhouette and chanel rouge coco in taffetas rose and I love them both ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can it be more perfect? I'm still looking for the perfect nude that isn't a MAC...I'd love to try some chanel lisptick or marc jacobs!


    x

    Hola Flo | Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. Expensive lipstick but it's very beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The colour is gorgeous and I love how you show a variety of swatches. But I am so with you on Australian prices... drives me crazy xxx
    Life of Verity

    ReplyDelete
  24. It makes your lips look absolutely perfect! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha we're the opposite! Between the YSL Volupté Shine & Chanel Coco Shine, I would always pick Chanel... don't know why, really (haha -- great reason, right?). I just love so many more shades from the Chanel line, I guess :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful neutral shade... it looks lovely and sophisticated on you! By the way, I like that blue polish you're wearing in one of your pics. :)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  27. Woah make-up in Australia is expensive! I thought prices for Chanel were pretty bad in the UK, no wonder you picked this up in duty free. I've yet to pick up a Chanel lipstick but have a feeling I'll go straight to swatching Evasion the next time I'm at a counter. It looks really pretty x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like how Evasion looks on you! I still haven't tried the Rouge Coco Shine formula, but for some reason, I just don't feel that tempted I guess? Your swatches are reminding me that I want to get Patisserie though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks really pretty, but I just know that it would be too pale for me. I bought Boy (I think maybe with a voucher?) as my first Chanel lippy and it is a MLBB for me, but nothing remarkable and doesn't last very long on my lips. I find it really wearable and I think it is the closest lip product I have to being used up, purely because I want to finish it so I can buy another Chanel that I love more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a lovely wearable shade.
    Can't believe make-up in Australia is so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so glad you finally have one! I've bought Chanel lip stuff for other people but never got myself one (until I snagged a gloss from a blog sale this month). Shades might be similar to others but I think this has a certain pearlescent quality that's a standout. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never bothered looking at how much a Chanel lipstick would cost in my area because other than the foundations and nail polish I don't think I can bare to eye more of an expensive taste in makeup hahaha. But this Chanel lipstick looks beautiful! I'm happy you found it cheaper while traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have three of these and they are just wonderful. This may be my next colour pick up now!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have this in Interlude but i didnt know Evasion was so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love peachy nudes and so refreshing to hear a blogger mention the packaging/logo bit. I mean, come on, who doesn't want to pull a little piece of Chanel out of her bag?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...