Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March Favourites

March was barely distinguishable from February, with the only difference being I officially turned a year older. There was no shortage of cheesecake this month, partially sabotaging my attempt at a "lifestyle change" by eating more cleanly and trying to get in some exercise (and by exercise, I mean run on the treadmill 1-2 times a week while feeling close to puking, and random made up floor exercises in the comfort of my own room). In terms of beauty products, there was a bit of a mixed bag this month, but more items than usual. I had not one, but two favourites for foundation, nail polish and moisturiser.


Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Taupe (004)
I dismissed Taupe the first time I picked up one of these eyeliners (in Bronze) because it seemed so similar to Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe, which I never use. But with Priceline's most recent 40% off cosmetics sale, I was suddenly inspired to give Taupe a go. I've been reaching for it almost exclusively this past month to define my lower lash line instead of my usual bronze eyeliners. What I like most about it is that it's quite hazy and soft when it's applied, and it wears in much the same way. The lasting power is impressive, but even when it's faded by the end of the day, it doesn't look patchy like some metallic eyeliners can. The overall look is more understated and natural because the colour is matte, very neutral and not as harsh as a black.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in Soft Beige (200) + CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation in Buff Beige (825)
These two mixed together (usually half and half) have been working really well for me. At first, I combined them out of necessity because the Rimmel is too dark and the CoverGirl too light. Sometimes in the morning rush and with less than ideal pump control, I get the proportions out of whack and my face doesn't match my neck, but the freedom to customise your own shade remains one of the biggest perks of having too many foundations. The creamy, thick consistency and occasional over-dewiness of the Rimmel is tamed by the CoverGirl, which has much superior coverage but a drier, more satin finish and runnier, lighter texture. Worked in with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush, this drugstore foundation duo ticks most of the boxes: good coverage, radiance-boosting, sets properly and doesn't overly transfer, excellent lasting power, oil control ... and shade match (when I get it right).

LUSH Snow Fairy Limited Edition Shower Gel
I know this is a popular product from LUSH, especially around Christmas, but despite hearing constant raves, I hadn't tried it until recently. At first, I wasn't blown away (it just smelled of banana lollies to me), but after squirting generous amounts on a shower puff and lathering it all over a couple more times, I saw the light. Yes, it's extremely sugary, but somehow not in an overwhelming, sickly way. I think it might be tamed by the musk in there, but whatever it is, the unbridled burst of edible sweetness is an absolute pleasure. It honestly feels like I'm bathing in lollies. In the past month alone, I've used up about two thirds of my tiny 100g bottle and I'm now majorly regretting not buying a larger one when I had the chance.

China Glaze Nail Lacquer in It's a Trap-eze!
I wore this over Nails Inc. Porchester Square for a whole week, which is almost unheard of when you're as fickle about nail polish as me and frequently change nail polish daily. It's a Trap-eze! is a glitter masterpiece. The overall effect is more speckled egg than bling overload, so it's perfect for any upcoming Easter-themed manicures. Still annoyed BeautyJoint shipped me a half-used bottle though.

Australis Nail Colour in K-Pop
The nail polish colour du jour seems to be Essie Splash of Grenadine (popularised by Estée), which reminded me of this gem from local brand Australis. As soon as I saw K-Pop on the stand, I knew I had to have it. It's such a unique, eye-catching colour (also very fitting with the Pantone Colour of the Year "Radiant Orchid") and the formula is close to impeccable. Here's a shot of the colour on my nails. I like that it has this injection of neon which makes it a bit fresher and more youthful than similar colours that are darker and more dusty.

Trilogy Rosapene Night Cream
I've tried a few products from Trilogy and I can't say my skin has loved everything, but this night cream is a definite winner. I have a mini 25ml jar from the Rosapene Day and Night Collection which I bought during Priceline's 40% off skin care sale around Christmas. This is essentially the evening version of their Vital Moisturising Cream, in that it's slightly thicker and more hydrating. I think the texture is an improvement (closer to Antipodes Vanilla Pod Hydrating Day Cream), it absorbs well, instantly comforts and adds moisture to the skin and smells pleasant and soothing. Dare I say I prefer it to the funky-smelling Antipodes Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream (of which I have a small 15ml tube from the Anti-Ageing Minis set)?

Jurlique Arnica Cream
I was fortunate to receive this as a birthday gift and immediately incorporated it into my skin care routine as my daytime moisturiser. The smell reminds me of slightly off, sweet yoghurt and it has a thick texture that requires a tad more effort to spread onto the face, but this stuff sinks deep into the skin and provides amazing hydration and softness. I used to struggle with dry patches, especially around my nose, which would be apparent when I applied my foundation, but since using the Arnica Cream, I don't have those issues anymore. It serves as a perfect base for my foundation because it provides a smooth, richly moisturised platform, but it's not greasy or slippy on the skin. It's almost matte in texture when absorbed. It also doesn't begin to seep through your foundation, emerging as an oily mess a couple of hours later. Yes, there's a bit of shine, but it's positively restrained compared with other products, plus blotting with a tissue ensures the skin is sufficiently mattified for the remainder of the day.

38 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! :)
    And happy April!

    I like to line my lower lash lines with softer colors and smudge out so I can skip mascara there. Pencil type waterproof liner like the Rimmel Taupe is the best. I will look into that range. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the Trilogy night cream, I've been obsessed with it since getting it around Christmas.

    I love the Wake me up foundation too, I'm happy they've added a lighter shade so I can actually wear it now!
    Catherine, xo | Lady Liquor Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try the rimmel eyeliner! I've been rationing the snow fairy shower gel as I didn't buy a bigger bottle either!

    Kate xo / www.beautybabbles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly we don't have those Rimmel Eye pencils, which is a real shame! I've been curious about their nude one for my waterline..
    Oh and I like the name of that Australis nail polish!!
    Anyway, Happy Belated birthday :3
    Take care, have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wake me up foundation x
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really want to try the wake me up foundation but it isnt avaliable in my country, same with australis a few products seem interesting but no idea how to get them.

    anyway happy belated birthday hope you had a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday lovely!! And cheers to another great roundup of products :) I SO wish that Rimmel foundation were more easily accessible here in the states so I could try it out… I feel like people have nothing but good things to say about it. Especially since it sounds like a winner to mix with the CG foundation which, I'll also admit, can look a bit dry and in need of a dewy boost sometimes. Also, that "K-pop" nail polish is lovely!!! Such a pretty color.

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! Love cheesecake and you can never have enough, especially in your birthday month :) I haven't tried Rimmel foundation and I have the CG foundation which I like a lot. Lately, I have been into more dewy look and I may have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that about Beautyjoint, I had good experiences til' now. I guess they weren't really paying attention. Still...tell them about the problem, I'm sure they'll help or sth. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the taupe Kohl too but had no idea what to really do with it. Now I know! Thank you :) x

    Megan / pixiecrop.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday!! :-)
    I am a huge fan of the LUSH Snow fairy and I even bought 5 big bottles of it during their after christmas sale ^^
    The Rimmel scandalous eyeliners are really good, if not the best I've ever encountered ! I have the black and the nude one. I use the black one very often but the nude one not really because I sometimes find it too 'white', I think I should give taupe a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I quite like Rimmel's line of eye products. They're not rave-specatcular but they're reliable and get the job done. I haven't tried any of the Scandaleyes liners yet but they'll definitely be on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Jurlique moisturiser sounds beautiful!
    I love to mix foundations, too - so much easier than trying to find a good match in drugstore shades!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely products, I really like snow fairy it has the most incredible smell ever! <3

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What do you think of the brand Jurlique? I've seen it around, and I always mist my face with the toner spray when I'm at sephora, but I'm not super sold on the brand yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only tried a few of their products. The only must have for me from them is their rose hand cream, it's beautiful. The rosewater spray is okay, but I'm a bit iffy about the alcohol content and I find it mainly dehydrating on the skin rather than hydrating. But the smell is super lovely. The only face cream of theirs I've tried is this one and I do like it, but the scent is kind of off-putting. I've also tried the citrus spray but didn't like the scent, it was very powerful and somewhat medicinal.

      Delete
  16. I don't know, it seems like I'm the only one who hasn't been blown away by Snow Fairy - yes I adore the smell, but I hate how it takes TONS of product to get a bit of lather ):

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice reviews! Hope u had a very nice birthday even with all the cheesecake and other yumminess! :)

    I'm enticed to try the Jurlique cream. I've heard great things about the Lush Snow Fairy but hadn't bought it during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely picks. A few products in here that I've never heard about. That Jurlique cream sounds particularly lovely.
    www.luluisloving.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mm bathing in lollies... well if you're eating clean and you can't eat them, might as well sniff your sugar fix during the otherwise fruitless shower allotted time! I haven't touched my Trilogy day and night creams, may give them a go in winter. I still can't get over Australis naming a nail polish K-Pop (throwback to the mid-high school die-hard fan phase *cringe*). Your foundation combo sounds great, but likewise such a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're so right. I get enjoyment from sniffing sweet things if I can't eat them. Like Snow Fairy and my Yankee Candle Christmas Cookie candle, urggghhhh. Smelling is sometimes just as good as tasting :) Though I still give in at least 1-2 times a week and have a sweet treat.

      Delete
  20. Great picks! I have the Rimmerl Scandaleyes kohl kajal in nude (which I love) so I might have to give that shade a go! That Australis polish sounds great too!

    Chantalle x
    ceceandgrace.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely favorites! Running on a treadmill and feeling like puking sounds like me! (Except I don't own a treadmill) Taupe sounds like a great everyday shade, might need to check that out. I've sniffed Snow Fairy before and got a headache from the sweet scent, so unfortunately it's not for me.
    I LOL-ed at the "K-pop" named nail polish, maybe because some kpop artists like to dye their hair that colour? Haha!

    Sheri
    http://berrixbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember the days when I would get face flakes when I would smile. I would always run from the shower to moisturise, and marvel that, as long as I applied it soon enough, it my wonderful face cream would stop my face from cracking. Now I know better. When we have a moisture cream that moisturises properly that flakey problem becomes a thing of the past. I'm happy to say that I have been face-crack free since 2008. I'm happy that you may have found a solution to your crack problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The eye liner and the foundation I totally need in my life! But I've done so much spending and shopping recently! That wash from lush sounds amazing, I love what I hear about the scents but I get headaches when I go near their store!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I might need to check out that Australis polish - every time Estee mentions SOG, I'm like WANT. I have that Trilogy night cream but am yet to use it, I'm quite excited to now!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Rimmel Taupe eyeliner, the perfect lower lash line compliment.

    http://beccahillblogs.blogspot.com/












































    ReplyDelete
  26. I love products that take away dry patches - always such a great feeling. That China Glaze shade is so spectacular, I'm planning on getting my hands on the new speckles from Ulta but I have a few other speckle polishes in my line up that I'm getting ready for easter time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, I'm excited for those. Hopefully I can find the green one!

      Delete
  27. I love love LOVE that taupe eyeliner as well, it's perfect for those no-makeup makeup look kinda simple days. But I agree with you, I never use the Maybelline Color Tattoo which is basically the same colour. I've yet to try the Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation, but I'm falling for the concealer so I might try it out! x

    Daphne | subgenre of a dream | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concealer is great, I use it pretty regularly now that my face has decided to break out around the lower half/chin area constantly :p

      Delete
  28. Happy belated birthday!

    http://obsessedwiththelittlethingsinlife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to smell Snow Fairy! Too bad there's no LUSH near me.

    RIKKI POYNTER
    // RIKKI POYNTER, MAKEUP!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have to find that Rimmel eyeliner, it sounds like something I would love! Oh the scent of Snow Fairy, it's one of my Lush favorites ^-^

    boho vanity ♡

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh I will need to try that foundation combination... I love the Covergirl one, but I find the Rimmel wake me up is too dewy so I havent used it in like a year

    ReplyDelete
  32. I still need to try that Covergirl foundation!!! I also love Rimmel Taupe liner! Such a great alternative to black and brown!
    - Andrea Marie xx
    frominsidemycloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Better than Antipodes Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream?!?! Ok going out to grab a tub of Trilogy Rosapene Night Cream now! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...