Saturday, August 2, 2014

July Favourites

Another month has flown by in an entirely nondescript fashion. I haven't bought any new makeup in a while (thank goodness), though skin care is another story. Sometimes in the mornings when I'm getting ready, I'm almost grateful for all the quality purchases I made at the height of my makeup obsession, because I simply wouldn't spend the time or money now hunting down the same items. If I've learnt anything during almost three years of buying more makeup than I know what to do with, it's go for the real deal. Had I avoided countless inferior but cheaper "dupes" of the higher end stuff I really wanted, my present collection would be a lot more focused, of an overall higher standard, better loved and utilised, and I would've saved money in the long run.


Morrocanoil Hair Treatment
There's a reason why certain products have cult status. I am so glad that I bought this a couple of years ago based purely on hype and positive reviews, especially since it was generously discounted as well. I now can't imagine doing without it. For someone who is clueless and almost completely disinterested in hair and hair care, it's become an indispensable part of my routine. If you could call washing my hair every couple of nights in the shower with an el cheapo SLS-free shampoo, sloppily drying my locks with a towel, tying up my hair in a bun, sleeping, and running one pump of Morrocanoil through my semi-damp hair the morning after, a "routine". This stuff has essentially replaced both conditioner and a hair treatment/mask. It ensures my hair isn't completely ruined, splitting and dried out despite my neglect. Something about it rescues my hair with minimal effort and gives it texture, smoothness and life when it should have none.

Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè
I neglected this moisturiser for a while because I failed to see what the fuss was about. I had such sky high expectations that invariably I'd be disappointed with the reality of what it was: a basic, no frills, functional moisturiser, the only added allure being that it was French and a few famous people/makeup artists recommended it. After I got over the fact it wasn't some all-purpose miracle product, I began to appreciate it on a simpler level. Non-irritating and scentless, it's a good thirst quencher for dry skin in winter and nicely preps the face for foundation, providing a smoother, well hydrated canvas.


Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist
I keep going back to this post-cleanse hydrating toner after lengthy stretches of relying on my Avène Thermal Spring Water. Yes, it's pricey and the attractive packaging and fancy name play an undeniable role in my enjoyment of it, but it's also calming, refreshing and adds extra moisture and an instant plumping effect to my skin before I apply any serums and creams. I prefer to spritz three pumps into my hand then press the toner into my skin with my palms rather than misting it all over, as I find this reduces product wastage and ensures even distribution.


Dior Diorskin Poudre Shimmer in Amber Diamond
A classic example of a product I'm thankful to have acquired when I was more of a makeup junkie than I am now. I hunted it down after almost losing hope it'd ever be mine by buying it from Sephora via Tarazz during a $10 bulk shipping promotion which I shared with a friend. Forget theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer or Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow All Over Radiance Crème in Rose Gold, this is the only highlighter I've been reaching for lately. I apply it using my Real Techniques Setting Brush to the tops of my cheekbones, under my browbone and occasionally down the bridge of my nose to add more shape to my face and inject a touch of that highly prized ethereal glow.


NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard
My skin has been shit for months now, with the remnants of breakouts so numerous they could pass for freckles. This is the best concealer I've used in terms of coverage, lasting power and application. When I can't be bothered applying foundation to my whole face, dabbing this over my spots and redness does the trick. I don't need to fiddle around with brushes as it applies easily with fingers and chucking it in the makeup bag ensures I've packed the tools for on-the-spot correction.

Real Techniques Multi Task Brush
I don't watch makeup tutorials on YouTube with anywhere near as much regularity as I used to, but checking out a couple of Lauren Curtis's videos recently reminded me just how useful observing someone putting on their makeup can be. I noticed Lauren used the Real Techniques Multi Task Brush to apply her foundation over the highly favoured Real Techniques Buffing Brush, traditionally my #1 foundation brush of choice. Tanya Burr has also been giving her Bobbi Brown Face Blender Brush a lot of love, so I was persuaded to make the switch to a rounded, fluffier, softer brush. The result was a revelation. I think a bit of experimentation is required in terms of what foundation works best for what brush, but I've been loving NARS Sheer Glow with the Multi Task Brush. I find that I get less streaking and don't have work as hard blending the foundation into my skin for a seamless, natural-looking but airbrushed finish.

40 comments:

  1. I remember breaking open my Embryolisse, and being disappointed with it due to the high expectations I had of it along with the heavy price tag for what it is. I have heard many people using this as a primer, but it just didn't happen with me- did this function as a primer for you? Definitely will have to try out applying foundation using a powder brush some time, it does seem to give you that flawless look with much less effort

    t w o p l i c a t e s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, actually when I first used it, I preferred it more as a primer than a moisturiser. I wrote a post about that here if you're interested:
      http://sleepandwater.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/slap-slather-spritz.html

      Absolutely give a powder brush a go to apply foundation, I almost feel that I wouldn't want to go back to my Buffing Brush - a sentiment that would've been absolutely unheard of just a couple of months ago!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I really love all your favourites especially the Dior highlighter and the NARS creamy concealer! I've never owned any Dior highlighters before but their embossing is so pretty, it definitely looks like a really nice colour as well :)

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nars creamy concealer is a product that I've been wanting to try for so long but am put off by the price! Some lovely things here :)
    alicekatex ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the sound of the Morrocanoil Hair Treatment, my 'hair routine' is pretty much the same as you.. I don't put anything on it or do anything to it apart from washing it! xxx

    Blog This With Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been guilty of buying cheaper stuff in the hope that it would be as good as its high end alternative and thereby hoarding way more than I used. Things have changed now.. and I absolutely never buy things for the sake of buying anymore.
    Anyways, the Embryolisse is on my list for winter.. I have used the La Roche Posay Tolerine Riche for the past few winters and its amazing and does not need to be replaced.. but I am just too curious to try this one!
    Also the Multi Task brush is on the wishlist.. but it comes only in a set so I am holding back!

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been curious about Toleriane Riche and was even thinking of purchasing it recently, but I almost feel like it's too similar to existing moisturisers I have like First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream and even the Embryolisse for me to justify purchasing it, at least until I've used up something first. I thoroughly recommend the Multi Task brush, it's one of my favourite face brushes ever, even before I discovered how good it is at applying foundation.

      Delete
  6. Great favourites! I need to cut mine down to only a hand full in the future. Glad you also love Moroccanoil, it is such a beautiful product! I also have Embryolisse, but I am in the stage where I have gone off it because it's not very exciting. I am sure I will come back to it some time in the future :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of applying foundation with the Multi-Task brush! I might try it out. Dior Amber Diamond is so dropdead gorgeous, I don't know why they ever discontinued it. I'm so tempted by the NARS concealer when my Bourjois Healthy Mix concealer dies. And I completely understand what you mean by appreciating things that you wouldn't chase up at present- I've been happily using things up and get way more glee than the normal person would by finishing products. I think normal people would be quiet sad that they've run out of something but not me; onto the back-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber Diamond looks absolutely gorgeous!! So beautiful! I need!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Dior highlight looks so beautiful! I really want to try the multi-task brush too, I just wish they sold it separately rather than in a set.

    Catherine, xo // Lady Liquor

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too made numerous unnecessary purchases of getting affordable dupes but then at the end had to get the "real deal". I have to try the Nars creamy concealer that I have heard so much about. The Dior highlighter is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Investing in quality is definitely a smart decision. I was always concerned with buying dupes to "save" a buck, but always ended up spending more when I could just have the quality and standard of the actual thing. I remember a friend called me out on it before... it's stuck since and I'm happy to have a solid collection of well used and loved products, finally.
    Thanks for sharing your experience and your favorites.
    I still would like to try the creamy concealer - I only hear wonders about it! Perhaps my next Sephora trip!
    Carolyn | BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading favorites posts where bloggers return to their old beauty loves - and it's so true what you said in the first paragraph, oftentimes going for the more expensive, high quality and coveted product is so much better than trying to make do with countless dupes. I've been trying to take on this approach for over a year now, and I'm happy to see my collection getting smaller, but more refined. Now, I just need to use up all the older, less loved products in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking about getting that brush and concealer. (the boring part is : there isn't a NARS counter here and brush only comes in a set....)
    As for the purchasing thing...I can understand it. I did that mistake as well with 2 concealers and powder that I currently hate and can't use. Some drugstore products are worth it - like rimmel london blushes or Bourjois products in general - but other aren't. I've finally understood that less is more. I might not have the biggest collection, but at least I have products that I love and like to use :3

    Take care*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dior Amber Diamond looks stunning, it's been on my wish list for years! x

    SophiesMakeupBlog

    ReplyDelete
  15. "If I've learnt anything during almost three years of buying more makeup than I know what to do with, it's go for the real deal."

    I completely agree. The dupe almost never quells the original desire, because there's no such thing as an exact dupe; there's always a difference in undertone or finish or overall quality. Last year I bought Maybelline Fuchsia Flash because I'd seen it praised as the closest dupe for MAC Candy Yum-Yum, but now that I own both, I can't believe anyone thinks they're practically identical!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you said at the beginning - in a few years time, I'm going to be much more happy with a smaller but higher-end/better quality collection than lots of cheap bits and bots. It's something I'm learning, however sometimes drugstore can be just as good! I'd love to try the morrocanoil, although I think the l'oreal one is pretty good too! xx

    Pillarbox Post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I looooove my NARS concealer, I have the one in honey and it does wonders to my dark circles. Granted it doesn't seem like I can cover them up entirely with anything, but that one works best so far!

    I'll have to give the RT brush a try - I'm using one of their duo fibre face brushes (unsure if it's still selling) with the NARS sheer glow foundation as well. It works, but I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be applying foundation with :P

    xx becky // star-violet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post cool favourites, nice photos the Amber Diamond looks gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am OBSESSED with the Embryolisse Lait Concentre - it's the nicest moisturiser I've ever tried, it's so nourishing without being greasy. xx

    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Morrocanoil has been my saviour and I've been using it for years...couldn't imagine the state of my hair without it! I'm definitely keen on trying the face mist xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw a favourites this month that said the moisturiser can be used as a mask when applied as a thicker layer and as a cleanser if you so desire. Just a heads up incase you didn't know! I'm interested in it, but I think I would be a bit "meh" about it too.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I'm going through a phase similar to yours - incredibly thankful for some old purchases and really regretting others :P
    I've been absolutely loving that NARS concealer, though! And now I'm a little bit curious about Morrocanoil... x

    ReplyDelete
  24. My skin has been pretty bad recently too. It's left so much scarring that I'm even more embarrassed than before ugh. And having to layer on more makeup isn't helping either. That Dior highlighter is so beautiful!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been thinking of getting that Real Techniques multi-task brush for some time now, but then Zoeva brushes came, so I'm saving for that now. LOL
    Random Beauty by Hollie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Embryolisse is such a favourite of mine, I use it in my professional kit every day and never met anyone who doesn't like it!

    www.walking-in-heels.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I definitely need to get the Multi Task brush! I keep hearing so many amazing things about it!

    Jacquelyn xx | heytherejacquelyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm dying to try the Queen of Hungary mask, I've seen so many good reviews. I need it!

    Love Beth @ BethBlogsBeauty
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I keep looking at the Queen of Hungary Mist whenever I'm browsing shops online, want to try it so much! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have never tried Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè but i am reading a lot of positive things about it so this is next on my try list. Nice collection.

    http://beautyholicconfusion.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The NARS concealer sounds really lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. It sounds like a lot of us are going through the same thing -- having accumulated a lot, resisting and going for the sure thing after years of developing a keen sense for what works or not. I'm still a big fan of the MoroccanOil too, although it doesn't have anything to do with Morocco really, nor does it have the best oil content. But it works so well for me that it became a repeat purchase. I recall reading rave reviews about all of these products you featured, and it's nice to see them again after all this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really really want to try the Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist but when will I be brave enough to spend that amount of money. I've only heard good things about it so it must be worth the jump!

    Alice x | ALICEYEH.pro

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loveeee my Moroccan Oil. I can't believe I'm almost out of it! :(
    I also have the Dior Amber Diamond shimmer brick. I need to pull this out and start using it again.

    P.S. I'd love for you to check out the giveaway on my blog!
    xx, Coreyiel | The Luxe Minimalist
    My Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh my gosh! I was just writing up my recent favorites for my blog to queue up and Embryolisse has made it into mine as well ^^
    I have a question, do you find that your Real Techniques buffing brush gets old pretty quick! I love the brush and I've repurchased the core kit so i can get another buffing brush, but i don't want to keep doing that! Maybe i'll give the multi-tasking brush a go. If it doesnt work for me, i'm sure i'll find another use for it!

    Chloé⎪à la foliee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using the same Buffing Brush since I bought it at least two years ago and it's still going strong! I have been thinking of buying another Core Collection but I'm waiting for it to fall apart first :p Generally, my experience with the durability of RT brushes has been really good. None of them that I own have really disintegrated or had significant hair loss or anything like that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...