Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Airy Gleam

I was over nail polish for a while (which may have been evident by the lack of nail polish posts — my last one was almost 6 months ago), but since I was given the OPI "The Iconic Four" minis set for my birthday earlier in the month, I've experienced a major resurgence in interest. A recent trip to Cosmo Cosmetics unearthed a sole, pristine bottle of OPI Last Friday Night, a limited edition polish from the Katy Perry collection all the way back in 2011. I already have all the polishes from that collaboration except for Last Friday Night, which I deliberately didn't purchase as I always thought it was too sheer. But for the sake of completing my collection, and the fact I never thought I'd come across another bottle again, I ended up buying it. I figured I frequently paint 3-4 coats of a light coloured polish to achieve full opacity, so why wouldn't I do the same for a sheer glitter?


OPI Katy Perry Collection








The best way I'd describe Last Friday Night is a translucent, pale cornflower blue jelly polish loaded with glitter reminiscent of China Glaze Snow Globe. There are similar polishes that replicate or come close to achieving the iridescence in Last Friday Night (not only Snow Globe, but Revlon Heavenly, Essie Shine of the Times), but none of them have the same ethereal, barely there blue base. It really adds something extra to the polish and makes it more unique.

I painted 4 coats which I feel is the minimum required to wear the polish on its own, rather than using it as a top coat. I did try it over a navy blue polish, and while the contrast made the glitter pop, I felt it lost the character of the polish. If I wanted a glitter top coat, I'd just use any of the other polishes I mentioned that have a clear base. I get that not everyone will have the desire, patience or time to paint 4 coats (not including base and top coat), but for Last Friday Night, the result is worth it. Surprisingly, my manicure has lasted a few days without any chipping or signs of wear. I'm not sure if this is because of the base and top coat combination I used (Revlon Colorstay Gel-Smooth Base Coat and of course, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri), or whether the polish itself has excellent longevity. Probably a bit of both.

19 comments:

  1. I am in love with that colour, and I sweat OPI comes up with the best names for their products
    xx
    http://diamondsandtulips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty colour, I normally steer away from blue nail varnish but this is just lovely!

    alice x | beautybyalicee | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it is such a pretty shade!! I love glitter nail polishes but unfortunately I very often can't be bothered to remove it later :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a really beautiful colour, I can see how it wouldn't look the same over the top of another polish x

    One Little Vice - UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear god, this is sooo damn pretty! I personally don't like polishes that take more than 2 coats but I would take the time with this one! I could imagine this over a white or a baby blue base, I just love how delicate the glitter/shimmer is in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 4 coats! That'll be fun to take off! Still, it's gorgeous :)
    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and I love the color. I'm a pretty big fan of light glitter polishes. It looks lovely on you though.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin' |

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes, this looks incredible! I ignored the whole line when it was released because I was trying to wean myself off nail polish addiction and not impressed with the Katy Perry theme, but wow. Now I want it, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This collection is one of my all-time favs from OPI. I just think it encapsulates so well what excites me about polish. Four years is a long time in the nail polish world though, so I'm sure there are more innovative, complex and visually appealing creations since 2011, but when this launched it seemed pretty cutting edge to me (duochromes, shatter coats, iridescent glitters with jelly bases, glass fleck, etc).

      Delete
  9. Love this! I'd probably wear it over a pale blue polish like Essie Bikini So Teeny, it's a perfect Spring/Summer glitter, who says glitter would just be for Christmas! (I'm actually wearing glittery nails right now!)

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glitter is too fun to limit to just Christmas! Bikini So Teeny is a lovely polish, I think Last Friday Night would look gorgeous paired with it. Must try sometime - thanks for the suggestion :)

      Delete
  10. So pretty!
    I don't remember being this excited to see a glitter polish in a while (not to mention it is a part of Katy Perry collection ;$).
    Airy Gleam looks even more unique on your nails than from the bottle. Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was like, "This polish reminds me of 'Last Friday Night'" and jeebus, 2011 THOUGH? I've got a bottle of 'Last Friday Night' too, but I can't remember the last time I used it and it's probably gloopy by now!

    UP TO THIS DAY I REGRET NOT GETTING 'TEENAGE DREAM'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never thought I'd find a bottle. It was in pristine condition and the formula was still perfect :)

      Teenage Dream is one of my absolute favs. Sally Hansen makes a polish that is VERY similar called Strobe Light!

      Delete
  12. So stunning, totally in love with the colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish the coverage was better but the sparkle is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I love this! I think I have teenage dream somewhere...It rings a bell. You always have such a good eye when it comes to glitters, I love how they look on you!

    Chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love me a bit of Katy Perry (she is the epitome of beauty and a crush of both myself and Mister!) but always thought this shade looked a bit...yucky? Well obviously once it hits the nail it's stunning, so I'm eating my words!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Last Friday Night is my kind of a shade!!

    Annie | www.drugstoredreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...