Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Gold and Fudge Squares

This post is long overdue, but I guess better late than never. While in Japan in September last year, I made two Asian market eyeshadow purchases: Too Cool For School Glam Rock Urban Shadow in Golden Edge (#5) and Addiction by Ayako Fudge (017ME). The former is a Korean brand I'd never heard of before, but Golden Edge appeared to be the perfect neutral with faultless texture and pigmentation. I had to have it. In contrast, I'd already heard about Addiction, a highly regarded, hard-to-get Japanese makeup brand, and was eager to explore the product range in person. I'd read the eyeshadows were a bit hit or miss, but the consensus seemed to be that Fudge was a clear standout.






Too Cool For School Golden Edge (#5)


Too Cool For School in Golden Edge is a warm, slightly olive, antique medium gold. Built up, it becomes a darker bronze with a golden lustre. The greenish tinge was unexpected, and not in a good way. I'm not huge on greenish golds. They're not as abysmal as cool-toned, frosty taupes, but I prefer more coppery shades or true bronzy golds. I thought I'd found that in Golden Edge (I didn't detect any yellowy-green in the pan or when I first swatched it), but the khaki tinge is definitely there on the lids. I guess it gives Golden Edge a point of distinction, just not one I particularly care for.

l-r: Urban Decay Smog, Urban Decay Suspect, Essence Party All Night, Too Cool For School Golden Edge, Maybelline Gold Shimmer, NARS Kalahari (I)

I hoped Golden Edge would be a deeper version of NARS Kalahari (the left side of the eyeshadow duo, or the shade included in the And God Created the Woman palette), but the two aren't alike at all. Kalahari is pinker, slightly mauve in comparison, more brown, less olive and golden. Golden Edge is probably closest to Urban Decay Smog, but Smog is darker, more brown, less yellow gold. Maybelline Color Tattoo in Gold Shimmer is clearly more green but the undertone is very similar. Urban Decay Suspect is more of a sandy beige, while Essence Party All Night is greyer and cooler-toned.

Addiction Fudge (017ME)


With rave reviews by fellow bloggers, I was almost expecting Addiction Fudge to be my new favourite eyeshadow. It certainly swatched promisingly enough, but it suffers from the same problem as ColourPop Game Face. It's too dark and warm to be used all over the lid (it just looks messy and muddy), yet too metallic and not dark enough to effectively deepen the upper lash line and add definition. I like it best applied with a small brush like the Real Techniques Accent Brush (from the Starter Set) or Ecotools Petite Eye Shading Brush (from the Bamboo 6 Piece Eye Brush Set) to define and smoke out the lower lash line.

l-r: Face of Australia Bronze Sphinx, NARS Galapagos, Too Faced Cocoa Chili, Burberry Midnight Brown, Sleek Dust Storm, Addiction Fudge, Rimmel Bad Girl Bronze

While well formulated, Fudge isn't the most unique colour, especially to a bronze eyeshadow enthusiast like me. Surprisingly, I don't have an exact dupe, though the bronze shade from the Sleek i-Divine Eyeshadow Palette in Storm (which Google informs me is named Dust Storm) comes the closest. Of all the eyeshadows I pulled out to compare it with, Fudge is the most yellowy ochre in tone. Too Faced Cocoa Chili and NARS Galapagos are darker and more ash grey (the NARS a lot sheerer and lighter than the Too Faced, both have gold glitter). Burberry Midnight Brown is cooler-toned and more silvery. Face of Australia Budge Proof Eyeshadow in Bronze Sphinx, Sleek Dust Storm and Rimmel ScandalEyes Shadow Stick in Bad Girl Bronze are more chocolate brown, though the Rimmel is a lot darker and the Face of Australia is slightly reddish/purplish-tinged.

19 comments:

  1. Those swatches are stunning!!

    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I need to add Addiction to my makeup-list! ( my best is going to Japan this year and I'm thinking about asking him to get me a few treats from Japan)
    Ive heard about Too Cool For School but I didn't know that their shadows were this pigmented! I'm still waiting for my Etude House shadows and thinking about testing out some of the cushion shadows from Holika Holika and some from Innesfree ( which has a really pretty neutral selection!)

    Golden Edge is really pretty, but I think that it's one of those shades that doesn't compliment everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My love for warm tone shadows just rekindled! Haven't heard of the brand before but formulation seems amazing. :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad | Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both shadows are gorgeous! But I totally agree that fudge isn't the most unique color! I was so grateful that you can find all the colors swatched on drivel for frivol! Her blog is awesome! I own the single in Nostalgic and its a super unique silvery duochrome on top of its base color. I'm really not able to describe it properly but all I can say is that I love a good neutral and would love to try more addiction shadows!

    Too cool for school now has stand alone shops and pop up shops in Singapore but I just haven't gravitated towards them to try anything yet. I've got my eyes on more 3CE products first! :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous swatches. Reminds me to pull NARS Galapagos back out!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually drawn to the Too Cool For School, the fact that it has a green 'tinge' pulls me in because those shades work well on me :)

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours you have even though they aren't exactly the most unique. I'm still really clueless on a lot of Japanese makeup unless it's the really well-known brands. Hopefully, I'll be able to go visit again and I'm sure I'll spend hours looking at their makeup hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fudge swatched so intense and beautiful! I have been wanting to try the Cheek Stick from Addiction but the brand is so difficult to get :/
    I've yet to venture the brand 'too cool for school', but I remember seeing few outlets here in Jakarta. The brand is not very affordable here so I was never attracted enough to try anything from them. Golden Edge looks like a great bronze shade , reminds me of the Bad Girl Bronze from Maybelline color tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thanks for the swatches, i've heard of too cool for school but never tried any of their products.

    lisa | lisaxbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. The swatches are stunning, loved the look of Fudge. Its a shame that it doesn't look that good on lids :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning colour and so pigmented!
    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fudge looks really beautiful, I bet it looks stunning on the lower lash line <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for shades like this! Fudge is gorgeous! Also, I think this is the perfect excuse to have another slice a fudge! Got a big box of fudge yesterday from a friend, woot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your swatches make me want all the shadows. Particularly the Rimmel bad girl bronze! Sorry to hear the shadows didn't work out in the way you hoped! This is random but what camera do you use to take your pictures? Your pictures always look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love golden brown shades and definitely check these ones - they look amazing and are perfect for a light summer eye makeup!
    If you'd like you could check out my new blog arabesque - I'd be honored ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful and such bright colors!!!
    xo
    Stacy

    tastyrumors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...