Saturday, May 9, 2015

Korean Beauty Haul

This one was a long time coming. I've been very keen to try out more Korean makeup and skin care, especially with the advent of the newest "it" product: cushion compacts. My Queen Lisa Eldridge kicked things off, but it was watching this video from Shaaanxo that finally pushed me over the edge. Right after watching her video, I placed an order. I bought everything from Beauty Net Korea since that's where Shannon shops from (plus she said the shipping was fast).

When a colleague from work recently vacationed in South Korea, she told me that it was a beauty lover's heaven. Rows upon rows of dedicated beauty and skin care stores that one could easily spend days immersed in. I'm almost afraid to ever go there knowing any travel companion would probably want to slaughter me by the end of our trip. That's if they could ever drag me out of the shops.



I probably spent at least one whole hour trawling through the website, figuring out what to buy. I had never tried any of the products before, so everything was a blind buy. In the end, I purchased (all prices are in US dollars):

  • Innisfree Water Glow Cushion in True Beige (#23) ($22.49)
  • BBIA Downy Cheek in Downy Lavender (#4) ($6.29)
  • Etude House Bling Bling Eye Stick in Little Bear Star (#10) ($5.99)
  • Holika Holika Jewel Light Marble Cushion Eyes in Orange Cappuccino (#4) and Brownie Brown (#5) ($7.99 each)
  • Skin Food Black Sugar Mask Wash Off ($10.49)
  • Tony Moly Tomatox Magic Massage Pack ($10.54)

For some reason, they gave me a 10% "membership discount" so the total came to $64.66 USD. All up I paid $87.78 via PayPal for 7 items. Shipping took between 2 to 3 weeks, so not what I'd call speedy. But passable for free delivery.

I was looking forward to receiving the fabled shit-tonne of samples that come with a Korean beauty haul (especially since I made a fairly large order by my own standards), but I was somewhat disappointed to get a few tiny sachets of stuff that didn't particularly interest me. Maybe a contributing factor was I had the parcel shipped to my dad's work address, so I received unisex/male-oriented samples. The best of the lot was the Tony Moly Banana Hand Milk sample. Nice texture and truly smells of bananas. A+ for novelty.

Now that I've had a good play with everything, I'd say my order was only about 60% successful. There's nothing that I super love, a boo-boo from the vendor, and one MASSIVE fail on my part.


These Holika Holika Jewel Light Marble Cushion Eyes were the main reason I was compelled to place an order. When I saw Shaaanxo rave about them (describing them as "phenomenal", "not even showing up as beautiful on [her] hand as they do in real life" and likening them to Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill shadows), I was overcome by NEED. Unfortunately, I don't think I share Shannon's enthusiasm. They're fine and all, but nothing special. The thickish plastic packaging is adequate but still feels and looks on the cheap side. The entire chunk of shadow in my #4 came dislodged from its pan and was stuck to the lid, so I had to manually press it back into the pan.

These have a very smooth, creamy but not dense and wet, cushiony, emollient but not greasy, silky texture. I find the pigmentation does need to be built up as it's easy to sheer out to the point it becomes mostly whitish shimmer. The glitter in them does flash different colours up close, but I don't know if it's that apparent on the lids.

Holika Holika Jewel Light Marble Cushion Eyes in Brownie Brown (#5)

Brownie Brown looks relatively cool-toned on me with hints of taupe and pewter, which I'm not overly thrilled about. I much prefer warmer tones on my eyes as I find them easier to wear and more flattering with my skin tone. It reminded me a lot of Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, except Bad to the Bronze is more metallic than shimmery, with more intense pigmentation and lasting power, and perhaps slightly more neutral.

Holika Holika Jewel Light Marble Cushion Eyes in Orange Cappuccino (#4)

Though it's not a usual choice for me, I'm a bit happier with Orange Cappuccino. This one seems more eye-catching and unique than the usual bronzes and browns that dominate my eyeshadow collection. It's a very spring/summer shade that I can imagine paired with bronzer and a bright lip (this tutorial by Karima McKimmie, where she uses the similar-looking MAC Paint Pot in Coral Crepe, comes to mind).

l-r: Orange Cappuccino, Brownie Brown

l-r: Orange Cappuccino, Brownie Brown

l-r: Urban Decay Chopper, Holika Holika Orange Cappuccino, Holika Holika Brownie Brown, Maybelline Bad to the Bronze

l-r: Urban Decay Chopper, Holika Holika Orange Cappuccino, Holika Holika Brownie Brown, Maybelline Bad to the Bronze

Innisfree Water Glow Cushion in True Beige (#23)




Of course I couldn't make a Korean beauty order without placing one of these into my cart. Beauty Net Korea stocked a few brands offering cushion compacts, but for some reason I was drawn to Innisfree. I really don't know why, especially considering it was one of the pricier options on the website.

I did my requisite preliminary research before putting the Water Glow Cushion (SPF50+/PA+++) in True Beige (#23) into my cart. True Beige was the darkest colour, and despite reading a review that specifically estimated it to match NC 15, I went full steam ahead anyway. The darkest shade out of three shades only matching NC 15? That couldn't possibly be right, I told myself. Surely it would be at least NC 20. Ideally, between NC 20 and NC 25 which is where I sit.

FAIL.

This is way too light for me. Not wearable. The only way I can make it work is if I go in with Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base over my entire face with something like the Ecotools Retractable Kabuki Brush. Then what's the point? I can never judge the cushion on its own merits when I'm effectively covering it with a totally different product. The whole process of using the included sponge to apply my base, then carefully and diligently buffing cream bronzer all over takes about 5 times longer than applying a liquid foundation that actually matches me with my Real Techniques Multi Task Brush. No thanks.

As for the product itself, I'm not won over. In line with the Korean beauty ethos of youthful, dewy skin, I was expecting almost intolerable levels of glow, bordering on shininess (or as Lisa E. observed, "gwang"), but the result was far from it. Honestly, more than anything, it reminded me so much of Jouer Matte Moisture Tint in Linen. A foundation I recently chucked in the bin because a) I almost never used it b) it was too light for me (had to also bronze with the Chanel) c) it always felt like it dried up my skin and highlighted any dry patches or areas of uneven texture d) I disliked the matte finish e) the packaging said it expired in September 2014, possibly due to the inclusion of sunscreen.

No doubt this cushion will eventually suffer the same fate as the Jouer. That, or I'll try to give it away to a paler-skinned friend. But seriously, I did not get dewiness or hydration from it, contrary to what a name like "Water Glow" would suggest. I get much more of that with my Western foundations, like Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum or my #1 foundation love of the moment, YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat.



I was sent the wrong BBIA Downy Cheek cream blush (Downy Peach rather than Downy Lavender). I would normally select a shade like Downy Peach, but I specifically attempted to venture out of my comfort zone by picking a milky purple which seemed slightly more editorial/experimental. I guess this is the universe's way of telling me to stick with what I know?

I contacted Beauty Net Korea who were apologetic and offered to send me the correct shade or refund my money. I replied and requested the first option but never received a further response or confirmation the right product has been shipped. I guess I can only wait and see if a package shows up eventually.


l-r: Stila Gerbera, BBIA Downy Peach, Revlon Pinched

Predictably, Downy Peach is very similar to cream blushes in my stash. Colour-wise, it's a cross between Stila Convertible Color in Gerbera and Revlon Photo Ready Cream Blush in Pinched. Gerbera is more pink but a similar lightness to Downy Peach. Pinched is lighter in colour, sheerer, less pink, with a subtle golden sheen. Texture wise, it's thinner and more emollient than the Stila Convertible Colors, which are thicker and creamier. They're closer in feel and consistency to Illamasqua Cream Blushers. Downy Peach blends seamlessly and evenly into the skin and is a complexion-beautifying bright-but-pastel colour.



For something called the Skin Food Black Sugar Mask, this smells nothing like its name would suggest. If you were hoping for a scrumptious raw sugar scent, prepare yourself for disinfectant lemon instead. Fragrance aside, the mask is effectively exfoliating. The instructions say to apply to a damp, cleansed face and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Your skin feels very soft when you're washing it off, though I can't help but feel slight paranoia that the granulated texture might be too harsh.



The Tony Moly Tomatox Magic Massage Pack stung like a mofo when I applied it. I endured the pain and after a few minutes, it subsided. It has a borderline-cloying light floral scent which reminded me of Pond's night cream or something. Apparently it can be used as both a mask or cream, though given the stinging, I'd hesitate to wear it as a cream. I left it on for 15 minutes before washing it off. I've only tried it once so I can't really comment on any noticeable benefits, but on first impressions it seemed like a decent all-rounder. It somewhat pepped up my skin, clarified it and provided some hydration, though I definitely had to moisturise afterwards. Packaging-wise, anything that could double as a food prop gets a tick from me.

Etude House Bling Bling Eye Stick in Little Bear Star (#10)



l-r: KIKO 06, Etude House Little Bear Star

I bought the Etude House Bling Bling Eye Stick in Little Bear Star hoping it would be similar to my beloved KIKO Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06, so you can see what a success that was. Having said that, though the colour match is way off, this is one of the better products in this haul. It is similar to the KIKO in the sense both are smooth-applying, convenient twist up shadow sticks with great pigmentation. The colour reminds me a bit of my equally adored Essence Eye Soufflé in Pas des Copper. It applies to my lids as a warm, lustrous, light-to-medium gold. Not dark enough to provide adequate definition on its own like the KIKO, but a good base or option for a deliberately lighter, pared down, lazy weekend look.

37 comments:

  1. Mmm lovely products! these shadows look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm it seems to hard to buy things off the internet without seeing in store first!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a mix bag of products, I loved that YT video when Lisa E did the gwang look but I'm so rubbish at buying new makeup online! I really like the look of the orange cappuccino shadow and Etude House Little Bear Star...I'm tempted to try out the Kiko version as well.

    Hanh x | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, don't listen to Shaaanxo, she likes everything. Tonymoly pack is nothing worth dying (kind of sticky) while you should try out a cushion for pores if you prefer less glowy finish- they are not kidding around glow. Laneige Pore Control might be right up your alley :) And don't trust ''brand swatches'' nor powder korean eyeshadows, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you're right, I haven't heard Shannon say a bad word about much! :p She's probably not the most discerning customer, for better or worse. I really liked your post on Korean skin care/makeup - unfortunately I read it PRIOR to making my order haha

      Delete
  5. That eye stick looks gorgeous! I'm not really into twist up eye sticks, I prefer crayons, but nonetheless, it looks great. Its a shame so many items were a fail, but I guess that is the gamble we take when online shopping.

    http://milkshakekingdom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you can imagine how it must have been for me when I lived there for four and a half months! Its CRAZY and SO MUCH FUN! You absolutely have to go there Lena! Don't miss it! :D

    TheConscienceFund

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the Tonymoly pack in the past, it left me feeling kind of "meh". At least I didn't see any magic after finishing the product.

    If you want a dewy base then Tonymoly Luminous Pure Aura CC Cream might be right up your street - essentially it's "gwang" in a bottle.

    http://thelatelatte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, will keep the Tony Moly one in mind should I ever purchase more Korean cosmetics!

      Delete
  8. Love Korean makeup, I want it all :) x
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You probably got the wrong variant from Innisfree. Etude is a better option cheaper than Innisfree and the darkest shade they have w24 will probably suit you more.

    CJ | From Manila with Love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm...Innisfree cushions as far as I know aren't the best :x people usually go for either IOPE, Laneige or Etude House...apparently their cushion was quite a miss there too. ( at least a Korean Beauty bloggers placed it along side with her misses)

    I have to order that mask one of these days.To me, it looks like the Avène Cleanance Mask - which is probably why I didn't have problems with it. The Shadow stick looks gorgeous! I actually ordered a few things directly from Etude House ( their official store usually carries 2 to 3 days where if we spend 50$ or more we get free shipping) and I wish I had ordered one like that. I instead went for their regular shadows to try them out.

    But I have to say that the Holika Holika Shadows look really nice! I would order the orange shade. I would but I can't...as someone who is currently waiting for two orders filled with Korean Beauty, the last thing I can do now is to order more products... ( I mean, but who can resist their quality and packaging? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I guess I have learned my lesson! Better luck next time :)

      The shadow stick is definitely one of my favourite items I bought from this haul. Very versatile and a nice golden colour, though I would've preferred it to be darker.

      I do like the orange Holika Holika shadow as well, though I'm not sure when I'd ever wear it :p Hope your orders arrive safely and swiftly!

      Delete
  11. The black sugar mask is one of my favorites. If you like it but want a better scent, try the strawberry wash off. It looks and feels like strawberry jam! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, does it perform similarly to the Black Sugar one just strawberry scented? Sounds delicious :) Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. I feel that it is pretty similar. Sames concept and steps; sugar scrub mixed with mask that you leave on and then wash off. You're welcome. :)

      Delete
  12. All of the shadows look so lovely and pigmented!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh too bad some items didn't really live up to the expectations.. Korean beauty products tend to be hits and misses with me, mainly because they all look so cute and nice so I get them mostly because of the looks / packagings xD.
    I love Cushion foundation but haven't tried the one from Innisfree, too bad the shade doesn't match your complexion.. My fave cushion foundation so far is the Laneige snow BB one.. The EtudeHouse one is not bad but it is too expensive imo.. I've been eyeing for the IOPE but haven't taken the plunge because it is quite pricey :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally regret buying this one from Innisfree. I wanted IOPE but I don't think it was stocked on Beauty Net Korea! Otherwise definitely would've purchased. The Etude House one was cheaper than the Innisfree one I bought on the website though :p Meh.

      Delete
  14. Such a mixed bag - the worry of buying online I suppose. I do really like the look of those shadows, the flecks in them look really nice. I haven't hauled online in such a long time but just put a Colourpop order through and it felt so darn good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a very pretty finish, especially the orange one! I need to STOP online hauling. I've been ridiculous lately :< Yay Colourpop! Can't wait to see the review/swatches!

      Delete
  15. I would love to try the skincare - looks great! Those shadows look like they would work really nicely as a base too.

    Best wishes,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just in Taiwan and was in the Innisfree store. I wanted to get the Water Glow Cushion but I was too dark for it haha I was at least 2 shades too dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha must be the same for me! I guess they are not looking to cater to many people who aren't very ghostly white to ghostly white.

      Delete
  17. I just love trying Korean products and here there are so many to choose from. I love Étude and Skinfood and I tried the black sugar mask too and i like it.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale |

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how cute and innovative Korean cosmetics are, their cute packaging gets me every time.


    lisa | lisaxbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Korean makeup looks and sounds so good! I would love to try some!
    Rachel Coco

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see that you're giving korean beauty bits a go! I really loved the cream shadow stick and the two single shadows you got! Korean eyeshadows are surprisingly awesome and not sheer like I used to think they might be. I've tried one cushion so far and although I got a shade that's a notch too light I use my pressed powder to adjust the color and also to set it! Right now I don't have anything but korean gel eyeliners from on my wist list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh lord, I'd die if I had to recall the amount of money I've wasted on blind purchasing BB Creams because there are literally 0 reviews/swatches. I am so pale yellow that nothing ever matches me, or if by some miracle it's fair enough it's noticeably too pink. My poor sister, who has no interest in base makeup, has been given (read: forced to take) every. single. tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess I didn't help the situation since my review had absolutely no swatches either :p I have noticed finding reviews of Korean beauty products has been challenging - there are very few around of specific products, if any at all. I guess the only way is through trial and error, and unending hope!

      Delete
  22. Hey ☺️ I use the Skinfood Black Sugar Mask too, I was going to suggest that you use your toner before you use the face mask - so while you face is still 'wet' from the toner if you use the sugar mask I find it works just as good maybe even better.

    http://mermaidsurvival101.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 - I'm currently doing skincare but I haven't talked about this facemask step yet, you should try it anyway & see if it helps


    ReplyDelete
  23. I was also tempted to pick up those Holika Holika shadows on Shaaanxo's recommendation but resisted as I am in super spending mode! They look nice but if I'm honest, I'm not in desperate need of any more single eyeshadows... The cushion compacts look so interesting but I'm never brave enough to try and colour match without testing...

    Ash / thebeautycollection.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely a mixed bag - although it's not the shade you ordered, the blush looks really pretty! But you know how much I love Gerbera too so I would say that, I'm a total sucker for those kinds of colours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hate going in blind when it comes to foundation/BB colours. I always need to test in person multiple times before I commit. So I totally feel your disappointment with the BB Cushion. I know Laneige and Sulwhasoo (which leans more to yellow tones) now stock #25 in their BB Cushions, which is probably a better match.

    Cushions are great if you can find the right colour and formula. They're easy to apply and the included applicator is great for applying under eye concealer and other liquid foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. For cushion compacts, you're better off purchasing ones from slightly more expensive brands like Laneige, Hera, Iope, etc. I find the cheaper cushion compacts like Etude House and Innisfree (The Face Shop might be an exception) aren't up to par and are usually waaay too light and sometimes grey-toned. I'd definitely recommend searching up more reviews/ swatches next time, I find it helps a LOT in avoiding any disappointments :) For Skinfood masks I've only tried the Strawberry Black Sugar Mask which smells EXACTLY like strawberry jam. The sugar pieces are a bit large and rough so I don't actually really use it as a scrub, I just apply it without rubbing it in like I would a scrub.

    In terms of fast shipping I prefer iBuyBeauti. Standard overseas shipping to North America usually takes 2 weeks, but somehow I always get their packages a little earlier. I also get pretty awesome samples when I buy a couple of things together. They're also one of the cheapest sites after calculating shipping, as well as Jose Cosmetics (also gives relatvely good samples) and Rose Rose Shop (don't give much samples).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment! I'm a total Korean cosmetics/skin care n00b, so this was very helpful. Will keep the brands you mentioned for the cushion compacts in mind (I did want to buy one from Iope but it wasn't stocked on the site I purchased from, boo) and also the websites you suggested. Someone mentioned the strawberry mask from Skinfood earlier on, seems to be a hit!

      Delete
  27. Thanks to your post I know now what things not to buy hehe. It's still a very great beauty haul.
    chalwoo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...