Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Could've Passed on Pasiphae

NARS Dual-Intensity Eyeshadow in Pasiphae was one of those impulse purchases spurred by wanting to take advantage of a "good deal", rather than any prior need. For some reason, it was one of the daily specials on StrawberryNet in early July. While the Dual-Intensity shadows retail for $42 each in Australia, StrawberryNet was selling Pasiphae for $18. I have a 7.5% loyalty discount, plus they were having a 10% off mid-year sale, so I ended up paying $15. How could I say no?









l-r: 1 swipe, 3 swipes


1 swipe

3 swipes


Released as part of the NARS Fall 2015 Collection, Pasiphae is described as a "shimmering peacock burgundy". I'm not sure what colour "peacock" is supposed to be, but I'm assuming a jewel-toned green. I've tried to capture in the photos the different shifts and dimensions of Pasiphae, depending on the angle and how much shadow is applied. With just one swipe, the warm brown base and the emerald green shimmer are evenly balanced. It's on the sheerer side, but super sparkly and eye-catching, with primarily gold, green, orange and diamond microglitter. When built up, it's more distinctly green overall but colour-shifting, ranging from a yellowy-green, emerald green, to a slightly plummy brown. Despite it passing for a duochrome, when actually applied on the lids, the colour doesn't shift that noticeably and is mainly a glimmering green.

l-r: ColourPop So Quiche, NARS Pasiphae, Wet n Wild Definer (bottom right Comfort Zone palette)

l-r: ColourPop So Quiche, NARS Pasiphae, Wet n Wild Definer (bottom right Comfort Zone palette)

I don't have any dupes for Pasiphae, but I pulled out two eyeshadows that I thought would be close. ColourPop So Quiche has a similar glittery quality and predominately green colour, though the glitter is obviously different, being mainly purple and pink. The Definer shade at the bottom right of the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone palette is also a duochrome, except it's far more red in tone with a darker metallic teal shift, rather than the lighter greeny-gold and less pronounced brown base of Pasiphae.

Texture-wise, these are a drier formula, probably because they're designed to be used either wet or dry (I find the texture to be most similar to Tom Ford Eye Colour Quad in Emerald Lust, also formulated for wet or dry application). That's not to say they're not pigmented. Used dry, they are initially sheer (though the sparkle/glitter factor is strong), but can easily and quickly be built up for opaque colour. They're really smooth and easy to blend — the kind of eyeshadow that almost applies better with the fingers than brushes. I actually prefer that you can choose how you want to use the shadow to achieve the look you're after. You might want to only use this lightly, tapping it onto the lids with your finger over a coloured cream base, as more of a subtle gleam. Or, you might want to use it wet for maximum impact, patting it on the centre of the lid with a flat brush and grounding everything with a brown shade in the crease à la BeautyLifeMichelle.

It's an undeniably high quality product with a sophisticated take on shimmer, but my main problem is I'm not convinced it works for my sallow skin tone. If I have to wear colour, I generally get along well with greens (particularly of the khaki variety), but the effect of Pasiphae on me is very muddy, dull and complexion-draining. I don't know what it is, but every time I've experimented with it, I've come to the conclusion it simply isn't flattering. A lesson learnt to not buy something simply because it's cheap(er).

13 comments:

  1. So sad this shadow didn't work for you! t think it's important to have a few makeup fails because it helps you find what does and doesn't work for you to inform your shopping better in the future. At least you didn't pay full price on this one!

    xx Julia
    missjulziez.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is a damn good deal regardless! It is a stunning shade though, shame it didn't work out with your skintone!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it didn't end up being a good match! But wow, that really is an interesting color...I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

    Emily | Lynde Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad this one doesn't really work for you, looking at the swatches, it looks really nice!
    I can't really wear green though, it doesn't work with my undertone, so I can understand what you meant.
    I haven't tried any NARS eye shadow but I've been tempted to try the dual intensity range. But, the price is so expensive xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so beautiful in the pan, it's such a shame you don't get on well with it! At least you got it for a discount though!
    Jodie, xo // Jodie Loue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just getting into duo chromes. Pasiphae is maybe too green to my liking, although I can't deny it is a gorgeous shade.
    I was looking at Urban Decay Solstice, but no I think I should get the Wet 'n' Wild palette and depot that marvelous color out! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw sorry this didn't work! But it looks like a gorgeous shade!

    xx, A Little Dose of Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a pretty shade and just too bad it doesn't work for you. It is such a tricky color to pull. I like shadows with layered dimensions and look so different when you catch them on different angles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've done it quite a few times, buying things just because and ended up regretting them a lot! I've learnt my lesson and most of the times if I have the option to swatch things first I will. It is sad the shade didn't work for you :( xx

    Sara | www.marybloomy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. sad to hear you didn't like it!!!! i wore it over black eyeshadow for my bachelorette party and used fix+ to apply it and i loved how it looked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This colour looks really pretty and I would definitely fell for the deal. I am sorry it isn't working with you, some shadows are just hard to work with.

    Zeynab x
    The Beauty Load

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is such a shame that you didn't get on with this as visually I think it looks very pretty indeed. Maybe you could try working it alongside something else? In respect of something being cheaper I have definitely been there before, it doesn't always work out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful shade and no-buy or not, I might have caved at $15 for it as well. I'm sorry it doesn't translate as well on the eyes! Maybe it needs to be paired with something that will amplify it, or you need to invest in a pair of green contacts (I kid but the idea is enticing, no?) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...