Sunday, May 29, 2016

Actually 'Wearable' Lip Colours

I have a gazillion lipsticks yet rarely wear any of them. It's probably a combination of not liking the feeling of something on my lips, not liking having something on my lips when I need to eat/drink, and not feeling the occasion warrants wearing lipstick. The other night, I went through most of my lipstick collection, trying on each lipstick with a bare face, and I set aside those I deemed acceptable to put into a daily rotation. I suppose you could describe them as the more "wearable", everyday colours that were more flattering than unflattering. Not too opaque, relatively comfortable on the lips, fuss-free and easy to throw on. What emerged were fairly similar colours and textures — warm pinks and rosy nudes in sheerer, glossier formulas.

l-r: L'Oréal Shiny Grapefruit, Revlon Pink in the Afternoon, Australis Jive, Face of Australia Sundae, Face of Australia Cupcake, Revlon Rose Nectar, Lancome Blush Classique


What I pulled out of my collection:


The most amusing thing to emerge from all this is I've swatched and mentioned each of these before in separate posts (links are above). I guess lipstick is a favourite topic to feature, photograph and write about, just not actually wear.

Bottom to top: L'Oréal Shiny Grapefruit, Revlon Pink in the Afternoon, Australis Jive, Face of Australia Sundae, Face of Australia Cupcake, Revlon Rose Nectar, Lancome Blush Classique

l-r: L'Oréal Shiny Grapefruit, Revlon Pink in the Afternoon, Australis Jive, Face of Australia Sundae, Face of Australia Cupcake, Revlon Rose Nectar, Lancome Blush Classique

L'Oréal Shiny Grapefruit is a warm rosy pink with subtle silver shimmer. Revlon Pink in the Afternoon is a semi-matte medium warm pink, similar to the L'Oréal but a touch darker. Australis Jive is a dusty, retroish, slightly cool-toned medium pink. Face of Australia Sundae is a "my lips but better" sheer rosy nude. Face of Australia Cupcake is similar to Jive, but sheerer and glossier, slightly darker and more cool-toned. Revlon Rose Nectar is a coral pink with prominent gold shimmer. It has a jelly texture — lightweight, translucent and glossy. Lancome Blush Classique is even glossier than Rose Nectar, almost wet look. It's a brighter strawberry pink.

Will I actually wear these now I've picked them out individually? Well, that's the goal. Though the couple of lip products I've kept in my makeup bag that I bring to work have barely seen the light of day. I don't know about you, but these days, work is one of the last places I feel like wearing lipstick to. Unlike the rest of my makeup (foundation, eyes, cheek colour), lipstick to me is purely for the fun of it. It's that extra, finishing step that makes your entire look just that bit fancier and more polished, or becomes the focal point of your whole makeup (as in the case of a bright, dark, or unusual statement lip). These 7 shades I've picked out are more to enhance one's natural lip colour and to add a non-threatening, natural, plumping tint. Beginner's shades for those that prefer their lip colours to be conservative and unassuming. If I need something easygoing and foolproof on the lips that will complement whatever other makeup I have going on, I know what to reach for.

10 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. I only use mostly 10-20% lipsticks from my collection, but still I can't stop buying new lipsticks I most likely will not use that often xD
    Lancome Blush Classique is so pretty! I need to swatch it the next time I visit Lancome counter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serious throwbacks! Ah the good ol' FOA lip crayons, I think I've given them all to my sister but they are really wearable shades! Still love the look of Revlon Pink in the Afternoon!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm definitely with you with lipstick- I can do my whole face of makeup for work (foundation, brows, eyes) and never put anything on the lips! I really does feel like something extra which I only use on special occasions. I find the huge problem being that lipstick transfers, and that my lips are so dry that I always have to reapply lip balm throughout the day which makes lipstick fade. I have forgotten about the FOA lip crayons- not sure where mine have ended up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually bought Pink in the Afternoon because it looks so pretty but I never wore it and the formula smooshed so I scooped it into a pot and never touched it :( I do like the Lancome Blush Classique though! And FOA Sundae - I remember being madly keen to get my hands on those and I promptly gave them away or chucked them because they felt so cheap?! I 100% agree about your lipstick perspective- gorgeous to swatch, describe and photograph but uncomfortable and high-maintenance to wear and reapply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, we are total opposites: lipstick is the only makeup I don't feel complete without. I'd rather wear a bold lipstick and an otherwise bare face than a full face with no lipstick! Good for you for trying to wear the ones you do have, though. Sundae is a really intriguing color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pink in the afternoon was the first lipstick i bought with my own salary. ah throwback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm usually a sucker for bright lipstick, but these are some lovely softer options. I really need to check out Pink in the Afternoon :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally need to go through my lip collection and do the same thing! I think I'd have a similar result as well - these wearable shades are just so simple and gorgeous x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm exactly the same, I've got tonnes of lipsticks I never wear, BUT that doesn't stop me wanting or buying more. Nice selection! Wish we could get Face of Australia here, they look so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey to everyone, it’s my first visit of the blog site; this blog includes awesome and actually best info for the visitors.
    Henry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...