Sunday, November 3, 2013

October Favourites

October saw a resurgence in my interest in fragrance, both perfume and scented candles. Well, the scented candles were a new thing altogether, but I was obsessed. I'm pretty sure I smelled every single candle at David Jones one Sunday while entertaining the idea of buying one, but ultimately walked home empty-handed (Glasshouse Oahu and Night Before Christmas were awfully tempting though). I also picked out the best of the skin care and nail polish I hauled in Europe, and a couple of cream eyeshadows on heavy rotation.


diptyque Roses candle
I thoroughly enjoyed burning this candle this month. It's become something of a bedside lamp substitute. The scent isn't that overpowering but it does fill the room for a few hours after it's blown out. I don't think the roses fragrance is anything amazing, it's a little bit generic in a pleasant but inoffensive way. It's not all that sweet, boozy or reminiscent of potpourri, it's gentler, cleaner and a bit more modern. I look forward to burning and finishing it only because I can't wait to be a sheep and use the empty jar as a brush holder.

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser
I'd wanted to try this cleanser for the longest time and finally managed to get hold of one from John Lewis when I was in London. This has cocoa butter, rosemary, chamomile and hops extract, panthenol, and eucalyptus oil. My skin was in a gross state around in the middle of my European holiday and using this, along with Clarins moisturisers and NUXE Huile Prodigieuse was a godsend. I'd take a good 15 minutes to do the whole routine with the included muslin cloth, but back home I ditch the cloth and use one pump all over my face before washing it all off in the shower. I much prefer this to Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm. For one, you can use it around the eyes to remove mascara and eyeliner and it won't feel like oil is clouding your vision. The texture is closer to a moisturising, thick cream cleanser that just dissolves into the skin, rather than an oily balm that can't be completely washed off. I love the refreshing cool from the eucalyptus, the minty, soothing herbal scent, and how it leaves the skin feeling clean, soft and supple.

Caudalie Grape Water
I was surprised at how much I liked this, since I'm loyal to my Avene Thermal Spring Water (though my 300ml bottle inexplicably decided to stop spraying with about a third left). This is the first aerosol face mist I've encountered that isn't just water (Avene, La Roche-Posay Serozinc). This Caudalie one consists of grape water and grape juice, so it smells very sweet (a little bit like overripe fruit) and leaves a slight residue on the skin. It's more moisturising than plain water in a can, especially when it dries on the skin. I find it an effective, inexpensive hydrating toner that you can spray over the face before or after your moisturiser. I would definitely be stocking up if it were available here, but unfortunately it's not and I can't buy it online either because of shipping restrictions with the aerosol can. Guess I'll just have to savour it while it lasts.


Nails Inc. Porchester Square
I have Anna from ViviannaDoesMakeup to thank for this one. I immediately jotted down Porchester Square on my London shopping list after seeing it featured in her August Favourites. I absolutely love the colour, especially as my focus has increasingly shifted to office-friendly cremes. I'll always be partial to my glitters, brights, pastels and blues/greens/purples, but sometimes you just need an excellent safe bet with a more conservative environment in mind. Even if I didn't have to worry about whether my nail polish is adhering to a corporate dress code, I'd still enjoy wearing Porchester Square. It's a pitch perfect, elegant and feminine light mushroom with slight purple tones. I love that it's one of those chameleonic shades that leans more sandy beige or cloudy grey or hazy lilac depending on the light. The formulation is also stunning — ultra smooth, buttery, a true one coater with impressive wear time.

Jo Malone Orange Blossom Cologne
Already raved about here, so I'll keep it short. I think this is my favourite of my recent perfume acquisitions. I'm kind of wondering whether I should have heeded to the sales assistant's advice and purchased the bigger bottle. A friend complimented me on this fragrance while we were having dinner out, which only provided more positive reinforcement. What can I say ... it's a crowd-pleaser.

KIKO Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06
Another product I've already written about before, this truly has set in motion a second wave of enthusiasm for cream eyeshadows (ideally in pencil form). What I love most about the KIKO is that not only is it an effortless all-over lid colour, but I've found that it works just as well on the lower lashline. If anything, I've been preferring to use it that way. It stays on longer than regular pencil eyeliners, it's richly metallic but still daytime-friendly and not too dark, and it's just so quick and easy to swipe on while in a rush.

l-r: Face of Australia Budge Proof Eyeshadow in Bronze Sphinx, KIKO Long Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06

l-r: Becca Gilt, Essence Pas des Copper, Maybelline Bad to the Bronze, Face of Australia Bronze Sphinx, Benefit Busy Signal

Face of Australia Budge Proof Eyeshadow in Bronze Sphinx
Undoubtedly one of my favourite recent discoveries, Bronze Sphinx is one of those unanticipated, lucky finds. I was casually browsing Big W and came across the Face of Australia stand, where they had a blanket $3 off the entire range. I'd heard about the new Budge Proof Eyeshadows (evidently inspired by Maybelline Color Tattoos) from local bloggers, but I hadn't seen them in person at Priceline or anywhere else. I was interested in Tip Top Taupe as well (which reminded me so much of a toned down Chanel Illusion D'Ombre in Illusoire), but ultimately settled for just Bronze Sphinx, as I rationalised I'd get infinitely more wear out of it. Tip Top Taupe looked a bit too cool and grey, which I've found isn't the best with my skin tone. Bronze Sphinx, on the other hand, is just what I'm after in a cream eyeshadow.

Compared to similar shades, Becca Eye Tint in Gilt is closer to a warmer version of Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow/Liner in Busy Signal, with more gold shimmer but a difficult texture to work with (slides around, very patchy, a struggle to get even coverage). Essence Eye SoufflĂ© in Pas des Copper (tragically limited edition) is lighter than Bronze Sphinx, with a touch more of a silvery overlay. Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze is cooler, more of an intensely metallic, medium frosty brown. Benefit Busy Signal is the darkest, a rich chocolate brown with fine gold shimmer. It's very pigmented and the tiniest amount goes a long way. Face of Australia Bronze Sphinx has more of a copper (red/orange) tone, and isn't as silvery as Pas des Copper or Bad to the Bronze, or with as much gold shimmer as Gilt or Busy Signal. Equally easy to apply with fingers or a brush, it's smooth, emollient, and not gritty or patchy in any way. Building up pigmentation in thin layers is a breeze. A bargain at $8.95, this is well on its way to being a much-loved staple.

39 comments:

  1. Love all these things. This is a very nice favorites indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't hear very favorable reviews of the FOA cream shadows and the ones I swatched were disappointingly sheer. Pleasantly surprised to hear that there is indeed a good one in the range! The Liz Earle sounds ideal- I don't understand how cleansing balms wash off neatly. A girl at Myer was pitching the Antipodes Grapeseed Butter Cleanser with the line 'the oil mixes with the water and helps it wash off'. Ugh, sales lines. I repurchased the Antipodes Juliet cleanser but I'm seriously considering the cleansing balm movement because of Mrs Hirons. Your nose seems keen on overripe fruit! The Grape Water does sound like a good alternative to the Avene though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasshouse candles are sooo good! Peter Alexander constantly burns the Tahaa Vanilla Caramel and it smells like icecream and hugs. I like the Manhattan LBD and Marseille Gardenia. Some just smell like soap and hotels, which may float people's boats but I'm not a fan.

      Delete
    2. I've really only tried the Emma Hardie balm - you can definitely feel the oil left on the skin after you use it and wash your face with it. I think that's kind of the whole point? Even if you use the cloth with it, which I usually scrap because I can't be bothered and the muslin cloth is actually pretty harsh on the skin (compared to a "flannel"/thicker cotton cloth). I still am curious about the Juliet cleanser!

      I think Oahu is the "soap and hotels" smelling one, hah! Monet's Garden (tuberose) is super nice, I also like their jasmine one. Their gardenia one is a bit weak I think? But pleasant. I do like the LBD one but not sure if I'd buy it. I swear their LE Night Before Christmas smells JUST like diptyque Baies - it's uncanny. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a candle though because of confusion between paraffin wax and petrochemicals and toxins and whether I should be buying soy candles etc. :\

      Delete
  3. Nice selection! All the swatches look beautiful. Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Liz Earle cleanser is a godsend! It actually makes removing makeup pleasant, which is the weirdest thing in the world. I really want to try some KIKO products as it seems like everything from them is lovely! x

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. After seeing your swatches of those shadow shades I love Busy Signal from benefit compared to the rest, its such a rich brown! Gorg! I never do favorite posts but I really enjoy seeing yours! You always such a great variety!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're liking the Cleanse & Polish, I'm still loving my S&G hot cloth cleanser. I was tempted by the FOA shadows, they felt sooo creamy (more so than the Maybelline original shades, IMO) but I restrained. I already have B to the B and I don't wear eyeshadow enough to justify it.

    x Tashi
    http://shiwashiful.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm nearly finishing my Avene Thermal spring water so I guess I'm going to try Caudalie Grape, sounds amazing, lovely favs dear! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have lovely favorites! I was very close to buy the diptyque candle because it was 15% off but I decided to buy the Lampe Berger set instead. have you ever heard of it?
    I've been loving the kiko eyeshadow stick for the lower lash line as well, they stay on very well and don't smudge. I just wish they had less glitters..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope...never heard of Lampe Berger! 15% is pretty good :) But the candles are just SO expensive. I don't know if I would buy another one ... but at least it makes for a nice jar at the end ;)

      Delete
  9. The Kiko eyeshadow is beautiful! I love Porchester Square x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to try out Jo Malone perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice favorites! I wish we have Dyptique and Jo Malone here :(
    Anyway, please also check out my October favorites if you have time ^__^

    Monthly Favorite Products!


    Cheers,
    YURI

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that nail polish shade!
    All the products look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some really lovely favourites :) love cleanse and polish, I have just started using it this month and fallen in love

    Katie xx | Katies World

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing favourites *-*
    I'm curious about that Liz Earl cleanser!
    Emma Hardie is wayyy to far from me. Too expensive and really hard to get around here (it would be easier to get Clinique's "Take the day off" - which I'm thinking about to get with The Body Shop's Cleansing balm!)
    Thoses eyeshadows are perfect. Specially the cream one *-*

    I love your post!! Your photos are always amazing!
    Please take care, have a nice day!*

    beauty-with-love.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The KIKO pencil is so beautiful. I wish I could get my hands on products from that brand x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm obsessed with diptyque candles lately! I've wanted one so bad for ages.
    Those shadows are beautiful as well. Can I steal your favorites? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another lovely roundup of products this month!! Only one of which I own but the others are pretty much all extremely high on my lust list… most of which is probably the nails inc. polish. I hear so many things about porchester square and think the color looks so lovely; not to mention I've yet to try a nails inc. product so that ups the intrigue haha. Also, that KIKO pencil really does look beautiful. I'm such a sucker for those types of products and colors!!

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look of Porchester Square. I don't even think I own a nice, mushroomy taupe like that. On the list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. good set of products .. loved both the bronze shadows ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Jo Malone Cologne sounds lovely, I bet it the scent is gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The candle sounds amazing. I prefer more subtle scents and don't like really strong sweet scents which gives me headaches. I have always wanted to try Jo Malone perfume. The orange citrusy scent is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wanted to try a Diptyque candle. They just look so pretty! I love your blog too. I'm definitely following to keep up with your wonderful reviews and posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always think Diptyque candles look so beautiful, simple packaging is so perfect. The Jo Malone scent sounds completely divine <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You make me WANT this Kiko Eyeshadow, everytime I read about it lol. x

    Shang J. | The Feminine Crusade

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have the Liz Earl Cleanser as well and it does it's job soo good :) love it

    xo Vi
    frostedpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow that Kiko pencil is gorgeous, that brown is stunning! I've not tried anything from Kiko yet, but I really would love to. I love simple, easy eye makeup with crayons and cream shadows xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want every single one of these products. <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've heard good things about the Jo Malone perfume. But the bottles are not that attractive to me!

    You have such a cute blog! :)
    Would appreciate if you checked out mine
    notanobession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lol I've always wanted to buy a Diptique candle JUST so that I can use it as a brush holder, they should probably sell empty ones ;) So happy to hear you're loving Cleanse & Polish and I absolutely adore Porchester Square :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your photos are always so beautifully taken and i always love reading your picks!
    The cleanse & polish hot cloth cleanser sounds incredible, its no wonder so many bbloggers love it so much! I seriously want to get my hands on one but it's probably really hard to find :c ...just like nails inc, i've been searching for the gel effects nail polish in porchester square, i NEED that polish!!

    Ă  la foliee

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Liz Earle cleanser sounds amazing. And I think the kiko shadow stick is something right up my ally. I think I'll drop by Sephora to take a look at Porchester Square, it lookslike a great colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. It sucks that the grape water isn't available in Australia, as it sounds right up my alley. I wish Caudelie would come to Priceline!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Have you heard of the website Cosme-de.com? It's based in Hong Kong (similar to StrawberryNet) and I'm pretty sure they ship the Caudalie Grape Water to Australia. They better, anyway, because it's on my wishlist! I know Feel Unique is strict on shipping. I really hope they'll bring Caudalie next into Priceline - we've already got La Roche-Posay, Nuxe and Bioderma! Roses is my all time favourite Diptyque scent! I fell head over heels in love with the candle, I got the fragrance too. I really want to buy a Jo Malone one at some point as well. You have great taste in products!

    http://vintagemachine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of that site but I've never ordered from them before. Thanks for the heads up, will keep them in mind next time I'm desperate to repurchase! That would be amazing if Caudalie came to Australia - perhaps it's just a matter of time :) I'd love to try Jo Malone candles but they are even more expensive than diptyque!

      Delete
  34. Your posts are really making me want to try Kiko! It sounds amazing, hopefully I can find it online. Also that Face of Australia cream shadow looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I LOVE the color of the Face of Australia eyeshadow! I'm always drawn to shades like that. Glad you like Porchester Square! I have it in the gel-effects formula and it's definitely one of my favorites polishes at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...