Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lipstick Limit, Part 3

My Revlon lip crayon collection is getting out of control. Totally makes sense then to purchase not zero, but four of the new ColorBurst Matte Balms during my latest trip to Priceline (someone please, impose a life ban on me from entering that store). Four seems to be the magical number of lipsticks that I tend to haul whenever lipstick fever overcomes me, after which I'm left feeling uncomfortably aware of my problem. At the very least, these were purchased for half the retail price of $17.95 each, as Priceline are currently having a buy one, get one free promotion on the newly launched (in Australia, at least) Matte and Lacquer balms.





l-r (top row, then bottom row): Complex, Elusive, Showy, Unapologetic

l-r: Complex, Elusive, Showy, Unapologetic

While both the Matte and Lacquer balms were on offer, I tried on a few of the Lacquer shades that caught my eye, but they all shared the same glaring problem: extreme glitter. The kind that still sticks to your lips in a shimmery mess when you try to take off the product. That was a huge no-no, so I promptly moved on and set my sights firmly on the Matte Balms only.

Predictably, I settled on two "daytime"/"wearable" colours, and two brights. The only colour I was certain I needed was Unapologetic (Cassie, Coco and Alix convinced me), though I was increasingly warming to Showy (mainly thanks to Emma, who likened it to Revlon Matte Lipstick in Stormy Pink, a shade I've been close to purchasing a few times, but doubts about the drying, patchy formula stopped me). Complex seemed promising, with quite a bit of coverage from ViviannaDoesMakeup and Amelia Liana, and Elusive looked so perfect on Christine of Temptalia that it was worth closely investigating. The best, most comprehensive overview I've found of each of the Matte Balms is from Emma of milkteef, whose face pictures of all the shades were super helpful. The bright coral Audacious was definitely in the running, but in the end it was too similar to Unapologetic to justify buying both (notwithstanding the multiple similar colours I have at home).

Complex is a light-to-medium nude, quite brown but with a peachy/orange tone. Elusive is a medium, warm, rosy pink with a touch of brightness. Showy is a bright, strongly blue-based pink. Unapologetic is an incredibly vivid, almost neon coral red with a watermelon pink tinge. This was the only shade that I found slightly staining, the rest of them could be removed almost completely with a tissue.

The formula of these were surprisingly good, though not completely uniform. Complex was clearly the most drying and patchy, with Unapologetic being the most creamy, smooth and pigmented. In general, these feel more hydrating than most matte lipsticks I've encountered, with a creamy but still lightweight texture that applies effortlessly onto the lips with no tugging or resistance. The colour payoff is impressive and on par with the NARS Satin Lip Pencils.

Overall, I'm pleased with the four shades I selected and I'd struggle to find anything negative to say about these lip crayons. They do have a faint peppermint smell and sensation when applied that might bother some, but I don't find it very noticeable and I personally enjoy anything minty/menthol in my lip products. If you have an extensive lipstick collection, then you probably already own very similar colours and could pass on these. If I had to recommend just one, I'd probably say Elusive. I find warm, everyday, medium pinks hard to come by, and there's a slightly dusty, retro vibe that makes it that extra bit girly and complexion-brightening.

45 comments:

  1. I still haven't tried these.. I really need to!!!!
    Gorgeous colours.

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choices!

    The only thing keeping me away from these is my beauty diet otherwise I'd be into them in a flash - all swatches I've seen so far look so beautifully pigmented :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look gorgeous on you! Really want to try Complex xx

    A Little Treat | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to get my hands on these! I'm not a huge fan of the lacquer effect...it's not me. Now the matte, is something that I can wear without problems. I already own a matte velvet from NARS and I wanted something similar : comfortable and easy to apply. Elusive and Unapologetic will for sure there way into my collection. Although I would dare something like Showy...reminds me of a Lime Crime lipstick!

    Take care, have a nice day!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up Elusive and Showy too! Excited to wear them :) Unapologetic looks good! Might have to pick that one up too before the sale ends!

    Nhi | Miss Blushaholic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't resist Revlon, too! Elusive looks so nice!!

    xo runbarbierun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still haven't tried these, but I'm sure I will soon enough! Really like how they're a matte finish yet they're not drying - love the look of Elusive (: x

    www.madeleineslittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still need to get my hand on these! Not any time soon though since I'm trying to resist buying too much lip products... But the promotion sounds good... hmmm D;

    www.lacy-rose.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm inspired to try out Unapologetic one! I love their matte finish and all colors are just amazingly beautiful, but Unapologetic is the one who I like the best! <3

    http://happinessvictim.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They all look beautiful on you! I really want to try elusive :)

    Kate xo // www.beautybabbles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, these are really pretty! Elusive looks great on you and the rest of my friends, but whenever I try it on, it just looks weird on me, sadly. Unapologetic looks gorgeous, might have to give it a good swatch it next time! x

    Daphne | subgenre of a dream | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  12. unapologetic is gorgeous! i have striking and it's kinda patchy and sheer...... i was reluctant to buy more but my goodness i need unapologetic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you believe I haven't tried these yet?! That last one, Unapologetic, is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omgish...Elusive I've been loving on everyone's lips and unapologetic is just so bright and sexy...I think that purple looks great on your complexion...! I've completely avoided these balms everytime I walk past them because of how dry my lips get all the time but it looks like I might have to pick up Elusive at least!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've already bought four more since the buy one get one free deal at Priceline! I have 6 now! Whoops ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look gorgeous! I saw these the other day during a cosmetic sale and now I'm kicking myself for not picking up any. Instant regret!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought Sultry as none of the other shades really caught my eye but I love it. It's a dream to apply. My only nitpick would be the scent, I wasn't a fan of it in the original balm stains and I still don't like it now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree: Elusive is definitely the 'must have' shade of this collection… though the others really are fantastic too haha. Lucky you for getting a BOGO free deal (though AU cosmetic prices will always kill my soul) and a 'yay' in general that you finally got to try these out!! Glad you're enjoying them :)

    ♥Cassie
    thriftthick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. they have been receiving a lot of positive feedbacks , it really sucks that we don't have Revlon in Germany T.T
    I hope this lip crayon range is available in indonesia and singapore as I will be traveling home in a month xD
    Elusive is such a pretty shade!! I hope it will not be too 'pale' for me..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're paler than me Pam, so I'm sure it won't be too pale on you! Actually, I find that fairer skin tones wear Elusive a bit differently to those with warmer/more yellow-toned skin. On paler complexions, I think Elusive leans a bit cooler and more of a dusty rose, as opposed to a warm yellow-toned pink. Hope you manage to track them down in Indonesia/Singapore :)

      Delete
  20. I have Elusive and love it :) Unapologetic looks great too. I just bought Mischievous as I was after a nice coral. x

    Catherines Loves


    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel like a bad beauty blogger because I haven't tried any of the Revlon balms yet! But I will have to pick up Elusive. Like you, I find nice, wearable pinks hard to come by and the dusty rose colour of Elusive is so pretty! Unapologetic looks stunning too - I may have go out of my comfort zone for that one! x

    Kathryn | effievanity

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unapologetic is my favorite, but all the shades are gorgeous! It looks surprisingly smooth for a matte formula!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous colours, I can't believe I don't own any of these yet.
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't checked these out, but revlon lip products are fab. They're easily my favourite drugstore lipstick brand, that and Rimmel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unapologetic looks incredible and Elusive looks incredibly lovely for everyday, I think that's the first colour I'd be drawn to! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gah, I love Complex. I've been wearing that a lot. But damn, you are selling me on Unapologetic! It looks gorgeous!

    BrodieJay.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Damn Priceline and its buy one get one free offers! I got so excited when I first saw these new crayons in store (the mattes and lacquers), I'm such a fan of the casing imitating the type of finish the crayon has. Unapologetic looks so vivid and bright, it'll be great for a statement lip. My favourite of these is Elusive, although for some reason I can't seem to pull off pink lipstick which is such a shame! :( I don't mind the minty feeling of these but I'm sure they would be off putting for some!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, Unapologetic looks amazing! I'll have to go check them out in store. :) Thank you for commenting on my Origins GinZing eye cream review by the way, you're one of my favourite bloggers ever! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. These matte balms are the bomb! ;)
    I have almost all of them and you picked such a great selection! My favorites where probably Sultry and and Showy! Great post love!
    - Andrea Marie xx
    frominsidemycloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Unapologetic looks AMAZING on your skintone! How stunning x

    Rebecca | morerebe.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gah I totally didn't know about the Priceline sale. Buy 1 Get 1 free too! Bahhh - the matte shades looks quite pretty. Elusive looks the best out of the bunch for me!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Elusive definitely seems like it was one of the popular shades. I have that and love wearing it such a wearable shade.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooh I love Complex! such pretty colours.

    http://abigailalicex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ooooh these colours are so pretty! Love the lip photos, it really shows the colours off nicely :D

    www.violetdaffodils.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I picked up a few of these, and am in love! I definitely need more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the 4 shades you chose! I think I may have to pick up Elusive, loved it on everyone I've seen it on. Glad you like them as much as I do!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  37. The 4 shades you picked out are very pretty and wearable. Elusive is so gorgeous and it is totally my kind of shade. I am trying to get some more vibrant shades for the summer and Showy looks so vibrant and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  38. $17.95 a piece. What the...
    I'm glad that you said the formula isn't the same on all of the shades, because that's how I felt about them too. I thought it was just me after hearing so many perfect reviews on them. Unapologetic looks so good on you, I know you don't go for brights that often but IT LOOKS SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I purchased Unapologetic too! I love the formula, but am a little disappointed to hear the others are not as creamy. Really loving the look of Elusive though!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Unapologetic <3 We actually got the Matte Balms in my country, but not all of the shades. Of course, Unapologetic is one of those. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's really surprising, especially since Unapologetic seems to be one of the more popular shades! That sucks :(

      Delete
  41. I always walked by these, uninterested. (Maybe because I'm biased on the packaging and am not too crazy about it.)

    But WOW these colours look AH-MAZING on you!!! I think I NEED to get one of these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...